Headplay Is in... Unboxing and first impressions

Reaction score
Good evening gents... Today I received my most anticipated item (except the solo).
My headplay FPV goggles.
Here is an unboxing video I just uploaded, with some initial impressions.

What didnt make the video (since it was just unboxing) is that I tested it with my go pro, and my windows tablet. Both worked flawlessly and the screen is SUPER freaking huge and bright, and detailed.
I watched the first 10 minutes of american sniper and 100% truth, felt like i was in imax.

They are super comfortable, ridiculous looking, but light as heck.

I gotta get up in the air with these things tomorrow.

Here is the video... its just uploaded, so not in 1080p for a bit yet while it processes.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very cool! Waiting on mine. Curious how they work with the Solo. Fingers are crossed. Please keep us updated on your thoughts. If you could, please record some footage with your camcorder aiming into the Headplay while hooked up to the solo.

Regards -

So since these don't have a camera on them where you can see outside of the head-play unit how do you see telemetry or any warnings on the tablet like battery or anything else?

Be nice if 3DR turns on a minimal set of gauges.

2015-07-02_6-30-31.jpg

Reactions: Bill Houk
you can see the telemetry if you take the HDMI signal from your phone or tablet direct to the headplay. That way you are mirroring the same thing shown on the phone.

That was my plan. They make HDMI output cables for most modern phones.

I have not ordered my headplay yet, but I plan to soon

you can see the telemetry if you take the HDMI signal from your phone or tablet direct to the headplay. That way you are mirroring the same thing shown on the phone.

Well his current tablet does not have HDMI.

Ideally it would be nice if they would turn on a small HUD with telemetry and battery info in the HDMI feed. I would like to avoid the lag from tablet processing. The HDMI feed has to be much smoother than the Tablet feed.

You will like the head play, I have had mine for about a month now. I purchased them to use with the Solo HDMI for a great picture,, to bad the Solo is not turning out to be so great at this point in time.
Just a heads up, , I cut the end of the Headplay battery and made a battery adaptor and I am using a 2200 2's and make sure you use a battery buzzer/checker because the HP die at 6 volts and no alarm. Velcro or 3m double face tape the buzzer to the battery and fly without worries my friend.
Also .. if you have bad eyes,, mine are old and tired (35 years of welding don't help)
I have found if you need reading glasses ,, for me I use the lens it came with and some modified 3.00 reading lens.. works great,, made them to stay with the HPHD'S and can take them out to show others.

Not sure. I think he is using an old iPad after sending his Nvidia back with WiFi issues. I think his phone is an iPhone too. So micro USB is out unless Apple has added that recently.

He lives here in town so will be anxious to see how he does with it.

You will like the head play, I have had mine for about a month now. I purchased them to use with the Solo HDMI for a great picture,, to bad the Solo is not turning out to be so great at this point in time.
Just a heads up, , I cut the end of the Headplay battery and made a battery adaptor and I am using a 2200 2's and make sure you use a battery buzzer/checker because the HP die at 6 volts and no alarm. Velcro or 3m double face tape the buzzer to the battery and fly without worries my friend.
Also .. if you have bad eyes,, mine are old and tired (35 years of welding don't help)
I have found if you need reading glasses ,, for me I use the lens it came with and some modified 3.00 reading lens.. works great,, made them to stay with the HPHD'S and can take them out to show others.

So how long will the battery last until it gets to 6v? I wont be running it for hours at a time, most likely 1-2 batteries, then ill charge it. Id rather not muck around with a new battery and a buzzer if i can help it.

Rich, i run an iphone 6, so if there is a lighting to hdmi (which i do think there is) that could work to mirror the telemetry data.
I really dont look at the data on the solo much anyway. It had audible warnings for critical things.
I may end up getting a shield 2 when they come out, and im sure that would work well.

I thought your signature showed a galaxy note....must have been someone else's. Can't see it on my phone right now.

So I tested it out today.. HOLY cow.. its like you are watching an imax film.. its stunning...
So the display inside when you direct connect hdmi from headplay to hdmi on solo controller is actually your go pro hud. so charge, recording, 1080p etc.

I cant describe how big the screen feels,its pretty amazing... Id recomend the heck out of these things.
when i can dig up another camera ill try to get some actual footage from inside the hood.

Reactions: Bill Houk

I have tried this and for some reason the display is worse than the standard, I have the Samsung Galaxy 5

You can use up to 3s battery

So I tested it out today.. HOLY cow.. its like you are watching an imax film.. its stunning...
So the display inside when you direct connect hdmi from headplay to hdmi on solo controller is actually your go pro hud. so charge, recording, 1080p etc.

I cant describe how big the screen feels,its pretty amazing... Id recomend the heck out of these things.
when i can dig up another camera ill try to get some actual footage from inside the hood.

Do you get a better picture than standard when you use the HDMI input ?

So the display inside when you direct connect hdmi from headplay to hdmi on solo controller is actually your go pro hud. so charge, recording, 1080p etc..

I think you are just seeing the OSD info from the GoPro. Same stuff that is overlayed on top of your Solo app if you don't shut it off?

You can use up to 3s battery
There has been questions on this, it does say that you can use 3S but there is a heating issue with the board. The more voltage you supply the more heat is generated on the voltage regulator causing more heat, ,, it is suggested to stay with 2's and run a larger pack. ..

Also, ,, you will be lucky if you get 45 min flight time out of the stock battery, , that's all I got out of mine, , I will take a picture and post it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
45 min is generally ok with me.. i rarely fly more than 30 minutes at a time anyway... i can always get an extra battery, those ones are cheap
thanks

45 min is generally ok with me.. i rarely fly more than 30 minutes at a time anyway... i can always get an extra battery, those ones are cheap
thanks

Well you must like charging. If you're looking for good cheap lipos check out Chinahobbyline.com and pic up a larger 2's and you charge once and fly all day then you don't have extra lipos cluttering up everything or more to charge.
Also, again I highly suggest purchasing a lipo battery low voltage buzzer, the adjustable type so you can set it for what you want. ..
You don't want to be in the middle of a flight and lose your screen and if your flying FPV when it goes dead, ,we'll it's your choice... I'm just telling you what I know.
I also mounted a Trinity 3axis head tracker with velcro so it's can be moved from my HPHD'S to my 18mz to control a 3axis gopro gimbal hanging on my hexacopter..
It works well,,
I'm still working on a white vented pullover hood to keep the sun off my head so I don't burn. Again it will utilize velcro to hold it in place and it can be removed..

Where did you find the googly eyes??

im not opposed to getting additional batteries, or a buzzer. Certainly if its only a 30-45 minute battery, which is about what i need, but id hate to have it die on me.
Is there a battery out there with the power connection that the headplay uses already there? like just a charge, plug and play?
thanks

Best video I have seen that shows a good representation of what the video looks like through the goggles.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feamador