Has anyone rebuilt a Solo battery? I'm searching to see if it's possible.

Reaction score
So I'm searching the forum, and I'm really interested to know if it's possible to rebuild a Solo battery. In my contact with 3DR tech support, I've learned that the expected battery life is around 2 or 3 years. Perhaps it's possible to replace the battery element inside?

I'm right there with you, to keep Solo flying a viable way to rebuild the batteries will have to be developed. From everything I've seen so far, the process to get in to the battery case is destructive, so the only way to get a battery rebuilt is going to require a new case. Luckily, 3DR gave us a .step file of the battery that can easily be converted in to a .stl file for 3D printing. The .step file is here:
https://dev.3dr.com/hardware-batterybay.html (page where it is linked from)
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B9l93ZUM5ooxbUhDOUVVRWRORlkzdmY3LXI1T2YtVUJYbWtJ&export=download (actual .step file link)
3DR was even nice enough to give us this note: The envelope CAD file can also be used for creating your own power supply enclosures.

So, when the time comes, I'm planning to harvest the "smart" electronics out of my existing batteries and solder in new similar LiPo cells and put them in 3D printed enclosures. That is, unless a better option presents itself within the next 24-36 months.

At this point I'm sure that many will view a 24-36 month old drone as yesterday's toy and have a new shiny thing to go fly. I may be in that camp too, but I'd like to ride this for as long as I can. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to economically manufacture batteries.

Somebody here posted a manufacturer that sells battery cells that are identical to those inside the Solo battery.

He opened the battery and replaced the cells and was good to go.

Don't remember who it was but hopefully he will chime in. I do remember that opening the battery is a major PITA.

I'm right there with you, to keep Solo flying a viable way to rebuild the batteries will have to be developed. From everything I've seen so far, the process to get in to the battery case is destructive, so the only way to get a battery rebuilt is going to require a new case. Luckily, 3DR gave us a .step file of the battery that can easily be converted in to a .stl file for 3D printing. The .step file is here:
https://dev.3dr.com/hardware-batterybay.html (page where it is linked from)
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B9l93ZUM5ooxbUhDOUVVRWRORlkzdmY3LXI1T2YtVUJYbWtJ&export=download (actual .step file link)
3DR was even nice enough to give us this note: The envelope CAD file can also be used for creating your own power supply enclosures.

So, when the time comes, I'm planning to harvest the "smart" electronics out of my existing batteries and solder in new similar LiPo cells and put them in 3D printed enclosures. That is, unless a better option presents itself within the next 24-36 months.

At this point I'm sure that many will view a 24-36 month old drone as yesterday's toy and have a new shiny thing to go fly. I may be in that camp too, but I'd like to ride this for as long as I can. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to economically manufacture batteries.
I'd like to see how well a 3D printer can produce a battery case. I'm working with a printer on another project and know there is a +/- tolerance that might be an issue in consistently printing cases that would fit well.

I hope it can be done, as opening a Solo battery can destroy the case of not done carefully.

I'd like to see how well a 3D printer can produce a battery case. I'm working with a printer on another project and know there is a +/- tolerance that might be an issue in consistently printing cases that would fit well.

I hope it can be done, as opening a Solo battery can destroy the case of not done carefully.
There is at least one forum member that I read a post where he printed the "envelope" file and the result snapped in to Solo.
Assuming no hi-capacity battery this year.

I'm also moderately interested in the torque values that the battery has to withstand while inserted in Solo for flight. Imagine a stick/lever coming out of the battery both vertically and horizontally and trying to pry the battery out of the battery tray; there has to be some minimal threshold to be considered "safe" and 3D printing a battery case may not meet a safety spec. The infill rates of 3D printing and the filament material used will also be a factor in the case strength, and that's before we even start talking about the case assembly: snap together (comes apart), snap-lock (doesn't come apart), glue assembly, etc. From what I see, the 3DR OEM batteries are injection molded (100% infill) and chemically bonded (glue assembly) once the components are inserted.

I believe that the case issues (size, material, strength, assembly) can be easily resolved, as well as locating similar/identical LiPo cells. The biggest challenge is going to be duplicating or reprogramming the "smart" electronics in the battery. Once again, we know this has been done in a limited fashion since Hoverfly Tech built at least one prototype tether for NAB '16.

I may dispose of the LiPo cells from my batteries at some point, but the "smart" electronics are going to be worth more than gold until someone can replicate them.

That battery envelope cad file from 3dr has a huge bubble in it on the top/front of the battery. It's not a 1:1 replacement.

I'm very interested to try this. I have 2 bad batteries that were recently replaced by 3DR. They currently don't work and are just sitting on my desk waiting to be disposed of. I don't know if it was bad electronics or bad cells. Just need to figure out how to tear down the batteries now. I have cad software and a 3d printer to make new housings.

Time to start reading and researching.

I'm very interested to try this. I have 2 bad batteries that were recently replaced by 3DR. They currently don't work and are just sitting on my desk waiting to be disposed of. I don't know if it was bad electronics or bad cells. Just need to figure out how to tear down the batteries now. I have cad software and a 3d printer to make new housings.

Well, I know you need to cut the case open. (Prying won't work). I thought there was a thread with pics here somewhere.

I have had some parts printed in abs and I'm not impressed with the strength or durability. The main weak point I see is in the layers that are laid down on top if each other. It is not difficult to pull them apart.

What was involved in get them replaced? I bought a NOS from a eBay seller that was DOA, no lights, charger stayed green, zero connection as if internally it were an open circuit. Seller is sending a replacement, was planning to cut the DOA open fro failure analysis.

I am looking for the CAD model of the Battery Envelope. However, when I try the link I get a 403 Error. Can someone please share it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44