Harvey, the clean up and drones.

Reaction score
Just reaching out to all the drone pilots around Houston. I hope everyone considers the safety of military and civil responders to our town over the next couple of weeks. Really nothing more to say other than we are setting an example and just don't be that guy or gal.

Peace, as the sun WILL come out tomorrow.

Rich, I second that. But I wanted to add for benefit of Houston area drone owners, KEEP YOUR FRIGGIN' BIRDS ON THE GROUND so you don't interfere with rescue efforts.

Thank you.

Had 4 Blackhawks and two other helos fly over last night at 300'. Just as another example of the air traffic. Many more birds working H-town. I pity the fools thinking we are easy pickings, we got mo'better air support now.

Reactions: pyrate
took me months to get that sound out of my head after Katrina.
My house was less than two miles from the operating base the rescue copters were using.
Its a sad helpless feeling.
We have a center down there by the Airport. Structurally it is OK but our co-workers are all struggling. So center is closed for now to give them all time to take care of their families

We're having inbound freight and air shipments delayed. Hoping tomorrow the material starts delivering. Normal won't be normal for a while, but we'll get rolling here shortly.

Interesting, Houston has not allowed commercial helo flights since 9/11, in general. Was kind of peaceful not hearing their prop noise. And to think people complain about Solo's prop noise...

Yes, good ole Katrina, we got many of your undesirables here. Also got some of the good ones as well. One of the largest displacements in US history.

we were all pretty much made to feel deplorable. I served in the military for this country. Was odd to be called a refuge by my fellow citizens, even harder to watch my wife discriminated against simply because she left New Orleans after Katrina. No city is without undesirables none.
We opened our spare bedroom up to anyone who needed it from Houston, vowing never to treat people the way we were treated

we were all pretty much made to feel deplorable
I've seen that my whole life. Consider this, you live in the bible belt, New Orleans is not where a Southern Baptist Convention is going to be held....get it? You are were a foreign culture.

I'm pretty sure every culture or generation within memory experienced some level of discrimination in the US. Just depends on how your forefathers dealt with it and moved on. I have.

Every story has two sides, just like a coin. Peace.

We're having inbound freight and air shipments delayed. Hoping tomorrow the material starts delivering. Normal won't be normal for a while, but we'll get rolling here shortly.

Interesting, Houston has not allowed commercial helo flights since 9/11, in general. Was kind of peaceful not hearing their prop noise. And to think people complain about Solo's prop noise...

Yes, good ole Katrina, we got many of your undesirables here. Also got some of the good ones as well. One of the largest displacements in US history.
So, no corporate helos at all?

So, no corporate helos at all?
For the most part no, obviously emergencies are allowed exceptions. News and private ones have/had access. But how many people actually have a private helo...I know plenty with private jets. So not much beyond LE, LifeFlight. or military.

Did you guys see the cat promoting his app, claiming that the FAA was gong to lift the TFR and coordinate with drone operators on their app for search and rescue?
Shameless

Reactions: Maddog
For the most part no, obviously emergencies are allowed exceptions. News and private ones have/had access. But how many people actually have a private helo...I know plenty with private jets. So not much beyond LE, LifeFlight. or military.
Interesting- there are a lot of corporate helos flying around here. Pretty fair number of rooftop landing pads for them. I just assumed it was that way in most big cities.

Did you guys see the cat promoting his app, claiming that the FAA was gong to lift the TFR and coordinate with drone operators on their app for search and rescue?
Shameless
Well, to be fair, some UAS operators *are* granted exceptions to fly within a TFR to aid in SAR, or make materiel drops, or otherwise aid the effort. Not saying this chap is one of them, but it does happen.

I love Solo but it would only be able to drop a few packs of smokes..maybe a bottle of water/ beer..or a pack of beef jerky

Or a small survival kit, first aid kit, medicines, inflatable PFD, 50 to 100 ft of high strength rope such as AmSteel, a cell phone, a GMRS/FRS radio... seriously, don't underestimate what getting a packet of beef jerky or your medicines delivered to you could mean. Or what communications equipment could enable.

Reactions: Wetstone and Maddog
The "Today Show" is about to run a piece right now about the very topic of drones being used to aid search and rescue efforts in Houston. ...so some obviously have exceptions to fly...

Interesting- there are a lot of corporate helos flying around here. Pretty fair number of rooftop landing pads for them. I just assumed it was that way in most big cities.
Again this happened after 9/11. We have plenty of landing pads registered and available, just not being used. I'm not sure who made the restriction, but it is there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M