Hard gopro mount vibrations

Reaction score
I get vertical vibes with the hard mount on the Solo.

3dr says there is nothing I can do to fix this and it's just like the iris. I didn't buy an iris, so I don't care to hear an answer like this.

Is anyone else having this issue with the gopro mount? I have a gopro 4 black. Using 1080 30fps medium width.

Not heavy vertical vibes but enough to notice and it's a poor thing to see in my videos

I guess this is the Rich thread :)

It's a bad setup and this caliber of bird was never meant to run without a gimbal. As @RichWest said run the faster frame rate.

You think yours is bad. Try doing it with a custom 5.4 lens. REALLY bad.

I've only shot in 2.7k 60p (medium) so far and haven't noticed much vertical shake or jello. After stabilization in post my video came out pretty smooth.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Same thing with me, I think its the M setting on the GoPro. I got worse jello with N. Try W, I've noticed no jello with W while flying.

Medium setting GoPro Hero 4 Black - Lots of jello

Wide setting GoPro Hero 4 Black - I don't see any jello

Disclaimer, I could be wrong because the second video is my first Solo while the first one with jello is my newest one.

I guess this is the Rich thread :)

It's a bad setup and this caliber of bird was never meant to run without a gimbal. As @RichWest said run the faster frame rate.

You think yours is bad. Try doing it with a custom 5.4 lens. REALLY bad.

I recorded at 120fps/1080p/med today and then played back at 30fps, a good way to figure out the frequency of the vibration. The legs seem like they might vibrate a bit, that can't help. Try plucking one. I'm tired of balancing my props, they're as good as they're going to get.

Other than that, I got nuthin' :)

Reactions: rrmccabe
I tried 1080 60fps and still had the issue.

The HDMI cable to the gopro seems a bit stiff to me, I wonder if that could cause the issue.

It doesn't make sense that 3dr would ship these with jello issues to we can all have problems. The reason I bought a complete package instead of using my home built quad is so I don't have to trouble shoot issues like this.

It doesn't make sense that 3dr would ship these with jello issues to we can all have problems. The reason I bought a complete package instead of using my home built quad is so I don't have to trouble shoot issues like this.
It makes sense to me to an extent.

90% of the people would have been really made if they sat on the SOLO and did not release it. Actually I am probably one of them. I am glad I have it in my hands and can start working out the bugs. I never expected usable footage from it.

Keep in mind a few people won't buy the gimbal. Hard for me to imagine after flying it. It's also obvious that 3DR put no effort into making a fixed mount Solo. They could have made the mount a lot better for about 2 bucks !

Looking forward go first of August.

So what 2 dollar improvement do you suggest?

I did notice less jello effect at 60fps, compared to 30.....have not tried 120fps yet, since you can only do narrow or wide view with it.

So what 2 dollar improvement do you suggest?

I did notice less jello effect at 60fps, compared to 30.....have not tried 120fps yet, since you can only do narrow or wide view with it.

I guess I am not talking about something the end user can do for $2.00. Just saying if they had mounted the gimbal with some type of isolation mounts similar to DJI it would help. My gimbal is RIDGID and as mentioned above the cable is so stiff even if gimbal had better cushions I think the cable would hold it rigid.

I had to take mine apart when I crashed...it is isolation mounted with 4 rubber pieces Inside The body. The cable is pushed into a slot, so if it is budget into the wrong spot, making it right that could cause some issues.

You could unplug the cable and do a quick test flight to see if that eliminates the jello. Then you know it is the cable.

I removed mine as well when I worked on my last one. I cant honestly remember what it looked like but I know if I pull on camera it will bend the gopro mount before it starts to get any rubber custom at all.

Are you saying yours moves around and you can actually feel the cushions working?

I think for them to work the need to be really soft to the point they will rip like the DJI ones.

Last edited:
I've been researching this too, the cable isolator seems best and would probably be easy to mount.

They certainly are not super soft like you describe.

Wonder if the props are out of balance?

If I was not anticipating a gimbal some year I might work on something to help. But maybe someday 3DR will make it happen :)

I just took a closer look at the hdmi cable and mount. I can clearly see some rubbing marks, where it is touching the un-isolated frame. I just now zip tied it to the post so it won't rub anymore.....I'll see if that helps.

Last edited:
Def let us know what you find out. I guess I am still new to this so I wasn't expecting usable footage without a gimbal at all.

Ryan G

Reactions: Bobby McConnell
I had to take mine apart when I crashed...it is isolation mounted with 4 rubber pieces Inside The body. The cable is pushed into a slot, so if it is budget into the wrong spot, making it right that could cause some issues.

You could unplug the cable and do a quick test flight to see if that eliminates the jello. Then you know it is the cable.

Just wondering if you tried replacing the isolation mount with the gimbal isolation mount or gimbal rubber damper ball from ebay ?

I am still debating whether to buy the Solo on the inevitable Christmas sale :)

Just wondering if you tried replacing the isolation mount with the gimbal isolation mount or gimbal rubber damper ball from ebay ?

I am still debating whether to buy the Solo on the inevitable Christmas sale
This thread is pre-gimbal and is way out of date to any conversation about Solo...

There was a thread, actually many related to vibration from the gimbal. I have the option of flying the Sony X3000 cam with BOSS. Just checking if there is a lot of vibration even with the dampers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks