GPS Mod-Cardboard under the copper foil

2 minutes every time you try to fly?? for me is a lot, my solo takes less tan 15 seconds to ready to fly with the mod

No this is for people where you barely get a lock around 2 mins and can find a lock often taking 5-10 minutes or even more.

I like the challenge of experimenting with modifications, just to get the benefit of having that chance. because it is harmless, you can return to the original mode if the result is not convinced. The amendments change the hardware elements if and scares me.

So Ian most likely mine is good? Don't like doing mods for the sake of doing mods. And I am a madder.

Well I've done this, brought it outside. Same place I always do. Within 4-5 minutes I get 9 and can take off. I am at 5 minutes now and zero sats. Needless to say. Back home I got to remove said cardboard.

Well I've done this, brought it outside. Same place I always do. Within 4-5 minutes I get 9 and can take off. I am at 5 minutes now and zero sats. Needless to say. Back home I got to remove said cardboard.
Also, removing said cardboard put it back to normal and I was able to take off.

You know, I never had a lock problem but thought I'd do this anyway - no downside. I usually got lock within thirty seconds before mod.
I used poster board - the hard kind with foam between two layers of stiff paper. Craft board, I think it's called.
Now I get lock before I can stand up, grab the controller, and adjust the neck strap.

I did it just as noted by the vidi guy. I lock on in less than a minute on 14 sats. Before, I sat with my thumb up where the sun dont shine for 5 minutes. You won't be telling me it doesn't work. Thanks man!

Thanks ian. I've been putting up with slow locks figuring it might get fixed one day. Didn't know that company was out there. Able to get my leg extensions, tablet lanyard, desk stability extensions, AND gps shield mod all from one place. Awesome!

You know, I never had a lock problem but thought I'd do this anyway - no downside. I usually got lock within thirty seconds before mod.
I used poster board - the hard kind with foam between two layers of stiff paper. Craft board, I think it's called.
Now I get lock before I can stand up, grab the controller, and adjust the neck strap.
Did you replace the copper foil afterwards. I just bought some of the stuff you used but wanted to know if I have to replace the copper foil too

Did the cardboard mod today.
Before mod 5-7 sats found indoors no lock after 5 minutes.
After mod 11-13 sats found locked and ready to fly after about 1.5 minutes also indoors.

Satisfied and will be ordering the kit now once in stock.

Attachments

• 20151026_175133.jpg
    20151026_175133.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
My solo takes so long to aquire satellites I can literally start it up simultaneously with my Phantom2 and fly the Phantom around until the Solo is ready. This mod I just saw on Youtube seems too simple, yet I can't find any serious discussion of improving the GPS on this forum (it might be buried). Has anyone done this or improved upon this method? It seems that the moment 3DR sees this they will change the design of the craft in future production, unless I'm missing something. I love this forum, keep up the good work guys/gals.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
thanks whereverimayroam
I did this and now I have had a crash lost GPS LOCK lucky I had PROP ON otherwise i would have burnt out motors

If you haven't updated the firmware I would do that first. It provided dramatic GPS lock improvement for me
I have done this it flew well first time with good GPS lock but today I lost GPS NO signal and it crashed luckily I had the PROPS on otherwise I would have burnt out motors

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried this mod and greatly improved lock times from 5 mins. down to 1min. Instead of cardboard I 3D printed a cover i made the file is posted on Thingiverse if anyone wants it

Reactions: SARDG and RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44