GPS Mod-Cardboard under the copper foil

Roger that, can't blame you for messing around and seeing how things work or don't. Try the process again with either thinner or thicker material and see if it changes your results. Your indication was that you had zero sats after the mod, could be the connection or added interference for whatever reason.

Like a friend recently reminding me...Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Edit to add: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
As it was a modification that does not require major changes or destroys anything original, it was just a matter of testing whether increasing the speed to find satellites. But I did not work, it only got worse.

Reactions: Raybro
It is 3d robotics fault that I spent the day trying things, if the gimbal delivered on time, I would be recording videos instead of playing to be technical service! jajajaja

Reactions: RichWest
There were two potential issues the cardboard was supposed to remedy.

One was the possibility that the foil was not insulated and could short the battery and cause it to drain and die or that vibrations over time could work through the current insulating layer causing a short.

The other was that the foil was supposed to be about 4 to 5 millimeters away from the GPS stub to prevent it from detuning the stub if it was too close to this part of the circuit.

Chances are that few people would have these issues.

I hope you're all doing this mod correctly as there was a missing detail in the video doing the rounds. a) cardboard isn't the best material as really something not water absorbent is needed b) the feedline should not be touched by the new material.

I did my mod just using spare Duro Foam as it's the right height, but some other people have used various foam, the only component to worry about touching is the large red spare and particularly the solder point within that which is the antenna feed.

feedline.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BVIsolo
Ian!!!! you are a genius! jajaj,

I try again the changes by this time you recommended the same as in the photo. I got in three tries, more than 10 satellites in less than 6 seconds! All tests were indoors

Never trust GPS indoors! But at least it sounds like it's working sound.

I do not trust, but I'm always working on things in my office,and try quickly on my desk. And usually grab 8 satellites and letting off, it took at least 2-3 minutes now allowed me in just 6-10 seconds

Today I tried my gps outdoors. As the test performed indoors, achieves connection in seconds. ThenI test their behavior under trees in a dense area. Unfortunately the behavior proved to be very unstable and it costs a lot to maintain control. The drone seems dizzy and constantly trying to correct his position becoming difficult to handle. The only way to fly indoors or in a dense area is in manual mode? or also would behave the same way?

Inside manual for sure.

You might want to try a compass calibration to see if that helps as GPS navigation also uses the compass.

I flexed my foil to be sure it was not too close to this point when installed.

Also, what battery voltage is acceptable? I think mine was about 1.9 volts

Not sure on the GPS battery voltage as I never measured mine. That's a question for the Facebook Solo Mod Club.

In my test in a dense area, I first came flying in an open area and enter into a dense area and when I enter the solo started to freak out. But it was what I wanted to film, what I do in those cases with the compass calibration? Where you say to calibrate the compass? Into the dense area in manual mode and take off from there?

I hope you're all doing this mod correctly as there was a missing detail in the video doing the rounds. a) cardboard isn't the best material as really something not water absorbent is needed b) the feedline should not be touched by the new material.

I did my mod just using spare Duro Foam as it's the right height, but some other people have used various foam, the only component to worry about touching is the large red spare and particularly the solder point within that which is the antenna feed.

View attachment 948
hey lan i have an idea if possible 3dr can do this, as the moment im not order yet a solo due of shipping issue maybe in next two months so i can tell to 3dr before i buy to modified the same as you did or i wanna show this picture to them, do you think they will agree?

hey lan i have an idea if possible 3dr can do this, as the moment im not order yet a solo due of shipping issue maybe in next two months so i can tell to 3dr before i buy to modified the same as you did or i wanna show this picture to them, do you think they will agree?
3DR took corrective measures at the factory a while ago, so the GPS shielding on any Solo bought now will be fine.

It was 3DR staff that mentioned the feedline and that's why I passed on that info...

Reactions: Toiletbowl
I find that when I have trouble with the gps lock and no "press fly to start motors" that a quick on and off of solo will fix that problem everytime. When solo boots back up it locks gps and gives me ready to fly almost right away..

so I get lock in a clear setting within 2 minutes, is that about normal? just got mine from BB and don't want to do it if there is no need to. I did do the wifi config mod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44