GoPro "Video EV" setting?

Reaction score
Hello, I've looked around but can't find what this controls. Can anyone explain what it does?

EV is exposure value compensation - more commonly just called exposure compensation. GoPro will adjust in .5 stop increments.

The GoPro will attempt to find what it thinks is proper exposure for the entire scene if spot metering is turned off.

A couple of examples of when you might use exposure compensation:
- flying at sunset and say you wanted to make the sky color really pop, dial in negative EV and it will darken the scene overall but make the colors in the sky pop.

- if you were trying to take a video or pic of something backlit that didn't fill much of the scene the camera often will often underexpose the subject because it's exposing for the majority of the scene. If you dial in positive EV, it will raise the overall exposure and give you a chance of properly exposing the subject. Spot metering would help here also.

Reactions: Tamj and RichWest
Haha - I thought to myself, "hey, finally something I know!" It's a good quick trick to learn on DSLRs also.

Thanks for the explanation JB/everyone. I could see where this would be useful.

Reactions: Jbmanning5
the gopro will blow out highlights during the day so its best to reduce ev comp to -0.5 and leave it there for most of your daytime shooting. at low light or nighttime, the gopro will work best at 0 ev comp. also adjust fps to 24 and ISO to 400. you can go above 400 but now noise becomes a problem.

franknitty69 thanks for tips, I was on a shoot last week, mid day sun. Shooting an orbit I had several different colors, it was very hard to fix in FCPX. I'll try your tip next time to save me time in correction.

franknitty69 thanks for tips, I was on a shoot last week, mid day sun. Shooting an orbit I had several different colors, it was very hard to fix in FCPX. I'll try your tip next time to save me time in correction.

try using a specific wb or native wb. this will stop the gopro from shifting wb as lighting conditions change. if you use native, just be sure to capture a white (middle gray) object during that shoot so that you can set wb correctly in post.

try using a specific wb or native wb. this will stop the gopro from shifting wb as lighting conditions change. if you use native, just be sure to capture a white (middle gray) object during that shoot so that you can set wb correctly in post.
Great reminder fn69, not any difference than shooting with a DSLR. With that said might it be a good step when you power up to either walk over and hold up a white board in front of SOLO, or fly near something white, so you can correct color balancing more accurate in post? Now I wish I had a white truck :)

Here is a trip down memory lane relating to white balance, white cards, gray cards...

In days of old (analog video to video tape with cameras using Vidicon, Saticon, or Image Orthicon pickup tubes), we would carry a 2-sided card with 90% white reflectance for white balance on one side and 18% gray for average lighting balance/readings on the other side - known simply as white cards or gray cards. I'd use gray cards at times for still photography and bracket my shots, but every single time we set up for video, would dig out the white card for a quick white balance in the light where we were shooting. The cards were far more precise in reflectance than something white or middle gray, but in a pinch, something white was better than nothing.

I don't know what's happened to me, or to videography and particularly to digital camera videography and photography, but now folks simply choose an internal camera setting (native, etc.) and seem to go with it, at times making corrections in post based on a 'white' scene in the shot. End users and viewers of that media today are not so picky - viewing the end result of a photo or video on wildly differing displays and not so much in print or on calibrated big-screens. This is like an audiophile's discussion on vinyl vs. digital or CD audio.

Gray cards and white cards are still available at Amazon and B&H for those nitpickers, but now I am reading that digital cameras treat 12-13% as middle gray.

More basic info here:
Gray Card
Middle Gray

...and then of course there's my white truck. Guess I lucked-out there with my color choice.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig