GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

The new bluetooth function doesn't seem to do anything. First and foremost, there is no bluetooth on/off setting. Just menu to select a device and pair it. So my inclination is that it's always on. If there is all of a sudden a range issue, that could be the cause. Bluetooth is very low power compared to WiFo though, so hopefully it's a non-issue.

When I used the menu in the GoPro app to pair the GoPro with my phone, it did nothing. No BT devices were found by the GoPro. I haven't tinkered any further with that feature.

Shutter speed can be used to give an more cinematic feel as well as reduce flicker, judder, shakes, vibrations, much like a filter can.

A filter was used to darken the image so that the Hero would have to open the shutter for longer exposures. Now, that can be done with the shutter. Slower shutter means longer exposure and smother capture (in some cases).
Excellent analysis and great advice. I will test soon, but must admit I am thrilled that GoPro can finally lock an exposure. The trick is, finding the correct exposure before Solo takes off.

My first experiments will be 24fps with 1/48 shutter. Logic behind this is that film and commercials are often shot at 24fps. The "general" rule of thumb for the shutter - going all the way back to early film days - is to double the fps or 1/2xfps. Basically the shutter would have 2 holes on a rotating disk that was 180° Apart.
Said another way, if fps is 24, set shutter to 1/48. Longer if you want more motion blur. Shorter if you want a more jittery staccato look. (In general)

Slower shutter means you need less light. Faster means you need more. Faster shutter in aerial would be a bad thing for filming. It would make vibrations more apparent. Slower shutter speed smoothie that apparent high frequency vibration blur out.

So if you lock in shutter speed, how do you adjust for exposure?
Before this upgrade, the shutter was in auto and adjusting to the amount of light. Now we can lock the shutter at 1/48 say and let the ISO do the adjustments if necessary. Depending on the day, you can set the ISO to 800 Max and the ISO will vary while leaving the shutter at 1/48.

Does this eliminate the need for filters? Not really. On super bright days you'll want to help cut the light just as you do now.

Using a combination of shutter speed, ISO, and filters you will be able to dial in a perfect exposure / look. If you like the way things work now, you can leave the shutter speed to auto and ISO to Max.

I'd be careful relying on shutter to reduce shakes. Coming from someone that has shot quite a bit out of real helicopters the general rule is to never shoot 180 degrees if there is any possibility of needing to stabilize the footage in post. If you've got vibration or shaky footage at 180 once you smooth it out in post you're going to have a nightmare on your hands. The image is stable but each frame blurs in a different direction and it looks like the blur is dancing off of your subject ( the more tele the lens the worse the problem).
I appreciate you saying this. The 180 makes sense when the camera is on a tripod, but that's about it. Seems the common answer here is to throw more filters at the problem, once done the video seems further out of focus. Actually your brief reference clears up a lot of questions I've had over the last year with my GP and Solo combo.

I look forward to your continued contribution from your perspective and experiences.

Reactions: Del
I think there's only one thing bad with the update : You have to turn on the GoPro manually.
What do you think about this disadvantage? Is it very bad for you or it's okay?

Hi folks;
I am new to the Solo and Gopro (2wks in) so when it said update on my Gopro desk top I (like an idiot) clicked update. So I now have V 4.0 Everything works so far but the remote on and off.
I have spoken with support from Solo and from Gopro....

Solo Support...

Gopro Support...
Great proactive detective work - thanks. Keep us posted IF you actually ever hear anything back.

Reactions: SARDG
Both Silver4 and Black4 updated to v4.0, is true.... no more power itself up, when SOLO is ON.
No worry, turn on the GP only after SOLO already powered up, no freeze, no hang.

However, since the Solo Apps does not have shutter speed control, we must do it manualy before we place camera in gimbal. The shutter setting can only be accessed if PROTUNE is ON.
Shutter Speed setting in GoPro Apps is called MANUAL EXPOSURE, its not the same as in camera menu being "SHUTTER".

To those on Apple, when u want to mess with GP settings using ipad or iphone with GoPro Apps, do remember this :

- GP on iOS device, and only iOS, need handshake/pair first time with bluetooth and then wifi connection allowed.

Your Apple bluetooth section, keep track of all bluetooth device already paired.
So, if by accident, you try to re-pair again ( say you reset the wifi in GP cam ) your GP to an Apple running GoPro Apps, do remember to REMOVE/DELETE the bluetooth ID of your camera in the apple/iOS, or else re-pairing will keep failing, as it is double entry of the same bluetooth ID. The bluetooth ID is the camera last 4 digits serial number, like this GoPro 5368. The 5638 is the last 4 digits of the GP camera. Sometime, a name change on the camera wifi name, may also confuse Apple, because the Bluetooth ID stays the same always and Apple see it as a clash.

Delete all wifi names and all bluetooth recorded ID related to your GP cams is sometime a must do, if u want GoPro Apps in iOS to connect to the camera troublefree.

Have fun...

Reactions: Solo Keith
Steve do you know if these actually work? Gopro tech support said that you can't roll back without damaging the camera. I couldn't understand why it would damage the camera but that is what they said.
I think Steve implied that he doesn't know if they work. From other info, they may even brick your camera. On top of that, ZIP files when open can be set to run an executable file that could do terrible things to your PC/Laptop and that's why you shouldn't open/run ZIP files from an unreliable source.

All that being said, I simply wanted to get the files NOW, while I see the opportunity, and worry about bricking the GoPro and introducing PC viruses from the unknown ZIP file later - if I ever get to that point. Right now, I'm not even updating my GPH4B in the first place.

There's a lot more info that flows through there than here, and usually first. Probably most of what gets posted on here came from FB. A lot more of the original devs hang out there as well. It's just a better place to get info, even through the format sucks compared to a forum like this one.

I have v3.0 firmware and 1 older generation one, Feb 2015. Silver4 or Black4, I got them.

Both Silver4 and Black4 updated to v4.0, is true.... no more power itself up, when SOLO is ON.
No worry, turn on the GP only after SOLO already powered up, no freeze, no hang...
Bah, humbug... Let's see...
  • Turn on/boot device (tablet)
  • Open Solo App
  • Power on Marco Polo Tracker
  • Power on/boot controller
  • Power on/boot Solo
  • Power on/boot GoPro
  • Connect to Solo network
  • Wait for satellites
  • Go fly - oh wait the batteries are already dead on the other devices from taking so long to boot and connect the conglomerate!
I thought this was a 'smart' drone

There's a lot more info that flows through there than here, and usually first. Probably most of what gets posted on here came from FB. A lot more of the original devs hang out there as well. It's just a better place to get info, even through the format sucks compared to a forum like this one.
I really can't stand the FB format. Generally avoid it altogether - except looking for Solo info. Even then, I limit my use of FB; someone here eventually posts what they've found on FB, within a few hours.

Reactions: Freebird32
Steve do you know if these actually work? Gopro tech support said that you can't roll back without damaging the camera. I couldn't understand why it would damage the camera but that is what they said.
I have no idea what these files are.?
They have been posted at a reputable FB /user/page, but the user may not know everything about files he posted

If i was interested in this procedure & these files, I would go through all the steps to verify if

1.Rar/Zip is safe to open then.
2.proceed if files are originals "Non edited",
3.then backup everything on my device, be it GoPro, Solo, Controller, mobile, PC....
Have i ever been tricked, bit before? yup....
Use at your own risk!

Last edited:
Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44