GOPRO HERO 5 support

Hey Frank, wouldn't the built in video stabilization in the Hero5 add a significant improvement to the overall image quality? I'm thinking gimbal + video stab would
1.) yield some nice results and
2.) negate the need for overly engineered anti-vibrate mounts.
Thoughts?

the hero5 stabilization is digital only and can only stabilize 10% of motion. i think in a gimbal video would be perfect though. here is a gopro clip showing the Hero5 stab.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
I think it's safe to say after seeing the release earlier today that the 5 will not fit the solo at all. As previous said there's no bus connector on the rear as there's a screen. Also the GP5 is a few mm larger in size to take into account the added mics and the touchscreen displays at the rear.

It's a shame they've done this as the RAW capabilities of the GP5 is much needed as a photographer. But i guess as a maker of a new drone on the market then you have to look at the competition and think to yourself 'do i want them using my new camera on a drone that is better than the Karma'

Also as a side note.....I wonder where GoPro got the idea for Cable Cam, Selfie Mode etc from ;)
When I saw the features of the Karma I thought the same thing

I don't regret buying the 3DR Solo, though, they hadn't announced that they were getting out of the consumer drone market at that time. I had figured I could continue to upgrade the gopro camera as I needed, since the bus on the back of the unit was in the 3rd and 4th generation gopros. I don't see a reason to get rid of it unless they weren't able to make the bus water resistant to 3 meters. The reality is I just have to buy a few extra gopro 4 silver or black in case one of my cameras gets damaged in the future, i.e. the 4 (black) has been discontinued.

I was thinking about a 2nd drone, Karma for all of a few days until the DJI Mavic Pro came out, and if I really wish to fly with a gopro hero 5 then there is always a build your own (QAV-X) with the gopro strapped on.

3DR I understand their decisions better than I do some of the design decisions that GoPro made.

I've read all the recent posts about the Solo not supporting the Hero 5 with an upgraded gimble. I knew 3dr Robotics made the decision to pull out of the consumer market before I bought the Solo. My first flight with the Solo sold me. I put DJI's phantom 4 drone in the air and immediately realized the future restrictions the unit will have bring on the phantom 5,6,7 etc. I believe Solo enthusiasts here can collaborate and we can design an upgraded gimble. I'm going to grab a Karma today along with as many parts I can find to make this possible. Peau has the "Backbone" body designed for the H5 in their survey equipment line already. I'm not an engineer in the field of UAV drones by any means. Furthermore I'll gladly accept the opinions of skeptics as much as enthusiasts. My background is in auto mechanics, forced induction designs mostly. After being told I was crazy to think I could generate 500+ hp from a naturally aspirated four cylinder engine I was fueled. So as I watched a mustang "no not the car" dyno hit the 585 hp mark I was stoked and shortly after sold the design to a major turbo manufacturer. Reeling in my ADD I'm back to my call to arms. Consumer drones were designed by intelligent and enthusiastic minds. Not unlike so many of the members here. If you have read this far you're either onboard or sharpening you teeth to rip into my this (my first) post. Rip away, I get it often and it fuels me. For the open minds ready to take this on I hope to hear from you. Thanks for your time and let's do this! Maybe our next Chris, Colin or Jordi is right here.

I agree, and since 3DR appears to refuse to release the gimbal code
it appears we are going to have to figure out how to make it work on our own
been reading as much as I can, since the new can bus on solo 2.1 might help
so fart the learning curve has stopped me dead, but I have not given up yet

why bother with Hero5 when the sensor is the same with similar IQ?
Hero6 is dropping in months (Mr. CEO said this year)...might as well wait for that if you guys are seriously back cracking future GoPro support.

you've tried it? love a positive post reply...
This new gimbal shows that there is a way to adapt the wiring control from Go pro 3 and 4 to 5 so perhaps by dissembling this gimble the wiring could be swapped into a solo gimble... but that would be thinking outside the box now wouldn't it

Do you think that you're the first person to think about putting a GoPro 5 on the Solo? Good thing you just joined the forum today and told us all about this camera from last year that we should all put on our Solos. You're not getting a positive answer, because this has been discussed to death since the day the GoPro 5 was released. And long ago established that it isn't going to happen.

But if you want a positive answer, ok. I am positive what you're suggesting won't work.

Reactions: SARDG
major update
A guy on a facebook page has created this
Files are available for use on 3d printer
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/so...54KYHLQPmr8ySLR5nsvdAUBjEg6wWQXWlBamh__7q1PZu
20479910_10159130076305274_3845050593808094589_n.jpg 20604340_10159130076155274_3860713353472965153_n.jpg 20767687_10159180776915274_8024185812633199760_n.jpg 20767728_10159180777020274_8495628538945424186_n.jpg
parts need for the gimbal
"Motors x3- http://rctimer.com/product-1075.html
HDMI ribbon cable-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073RCDG33/ref=mp_s_a_1_4...

Gimbal damper balls. Mine are hard but you can reuse stock if need be.

Storm32 board or any board with alexmos.

12 m3 6/.50 bolts(bolts that come with motors are too long)"

All credit to Jonathon hair who has done all the hard work for the community
Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad

looking forward to getting mine together

I'm particularly bummed as I finally pulled the trigger 3 months ago and just a few weeks ago my gopros we're stolen so I'm in the market to replace them and I'm stuck with a drone that uses a solid camera no doubt but a camera that it is now "old tech"...

A GoPro Hero 4 Black is still a fantastic camera for a drone. I do have the Hero 5 which is terrific. But for a drone, the 4 Black is just as good. There's no point in better mics because you're not going to use drone audio anyway. There's no point in a touchscreen with a drone. The waterproof body doesn't matter for the drone as you're not going to be flying in the rain anyway. Honestly, I don't take photos with the GoPro cameras. They're not good cameras. That's why I have Canon gear as well as my Sony point and shoot (RX100 III) in addition to my Samsung Galaxy S8 (amazing smartphone cam).

The resolution and frame rate options are the same between the cameras. The 4 Black and 5 both have ProTune modes so it's easier to color correct.

Under normal circumstances, I would never choose the 4 Black over the 5. But for the Solo, I don't mind. Yes, it does suck to have to own 2 cameras instead of one. But that's the nature of things. I still have my 3+ Silver which sits in a drawer (obsoleted). The only time the 3+ comes out is when I have someone to go with me for biking or other event.

A GoPro Hero 4 Black is still a fantastic camera for a drone. I do have the Hero 5 which is terrific. But for a drone, the 4 Black is just as good. .

Totally agree. There's really nothing about the 5 that makes it superior to the 4 when used for video on the Solo. I have both, and I love the 5 for all the improvements it made - the mics, the touch screen, the water proofing, the stabilization. But none of those things matter in the air, and as they increase the weight, they actually detract.

I look at it light this - that the 5 exists just means picking up another 4 if needed will be that much less expensive - old stock, referb, used or otherwise.

How do i change my solo from a hero 3 black to a hero sessions 5?

How do i change my solo from a hero 3 black to a hero sessions 5?

If you're not using the gimbal, you'd just mount the Session using the standard GoPro mount to the mount on the Solo. If you're hoping to use the Solo gimbal, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Not only does the Session lack a connector to interface with Solo's computer, but the weight and shape are different so the balance of the gimbal would be off. Some people are working to get 3rd party gimbals working on the Solo, but it seems like it's still early days in that pursuit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44