GOPRO HERO 5 support

I am really surprised this is news to people.
the gp4 integrates with solo through the bus on the back.
GP5 does not have that bus, why would you even think it would be compatible.
Even the karma requires a harness to make the 4 work with it.
Frank had it right folks
Nothing has changed since yesterday, rock that solo with a GP4
the 5 from a spec perspective aint much of an upgrade.
geotag is there
stabilization in camera does not work on higher res, no loss there
Linear profile is software based and most likely not as good as a lens replacement

when the hero4 and hero5 is in the air they are effectively the same camera. on the ground there are advantages like being able to use the hero5 in the karma handheld stabilizer. but you can do the same thing with the hero4 by using a Feiyu Tech G4S.

the hero5 to me is like a sidegrade, not an upgrade from the Hero4 Black.

when the hero4 and hero5 is in the air they are effectively the same camera. on the ground there are advantages like being able to use the hero5 in the karma handheld stabilizer. but you can do the same thing with the hero4 by using a Feiyu Tech G4S.

on the spec sheet maybe...until we get testing we dont know if there's an improvement in image quality. I would hope they would put a much improved sensor after 2 years. Whether or not WDR is just marketing or makes a big diff, we don't know yet.

Sharing gimbal in the air and handheld is brilliant....it's a hassle t o carry an extra gimbal (which means a separate case if you want to protect it). I did it on my trip and never again bother with Chinese brand gimbal without a case...they're fragile.

is there really such a thing as the 5+?
has anyone confirmed there will be one?
Why wouldn't they? They usually do after the suckers buy the scaled down initial offering lol. Marketing 101. Release the "lite" version, then release the good version after everybody bought the lite one. On FB, someone posted early access they had to karma and different gopro 5's along with literature. There was a H5+ listed that did 4k/60. I'm hoping it's true because like you, there isn't any spec listed on the 5 that interested me. It's a glorified 4 in a different body and silver edition screen. There is nothing compelling about it to make me want to spend $400 to upgrade from a 4 Black. My next cam, whatever it is, will do 4k/60.

I'm particularly bummed as I finally pulled the trigger 3 months ago and just a few weeks ago my gopros we're stolen so I'm in the market to replace them and I'm stuck with a drone that uses a solid camera no doubt but a camera that it is now "old tech"...

While getting the "older" thing can seem lame, if it makes sense to keep the Solo, be confident in picking up a GoPro 4 black. It is basically the same camera as the GoPro5. It always stinks when new stuff comes out and you want to get the latest, and typically you do if you're at the front end of a product cycle. In this case, there isn't really a spec bump so the 5 seems mostly like a repackaged 4, plus raw photo and waterproofing.

Up to you based on everything you consider and need.

You can always sell the Solo and finance the Karma or something, or just jump all the way to a Phantom 4 or something.

I think the multitudes of tools available is remarkable in the last few years and it is really more about the person using them than which tool at this point. (I say this partially as a self-indictment since I often fall into the trap of chasing the newest tech when outstanding tools are sitting at home unused)

Reactions: SARDG
While getting the "older" thing can seem lame, if it makes sense to keep the Solo, be confident in picking up a GoPro 4 black. It is basically the same camera as the GoPro5. It always stinks when new stuff comes out and you want to get the latest, and typically you do if you're at the front end of a product cycle. In this case, there isn't really a spec bump so the 5 seems mostly like a repackaged 4, plus raw photo and waterproofing.

Up to you based on everything you consider and need.

You can always sell the Solo and finance the Karma or something, or just jump all the way to a Phantom 4 or something.

I think the multitudes of tools available is remarkable in the last few years and it is really more about the person using them than which tool at this point. (I say this partially as a self-indictment since I often fall into the trap of chasing the newest tech when outstanding tools are sitting at home unused)

I agree, a constant struggle to keep up and that's kind of why I like the Solo so much as if I wanted to put a newer camera on it I could, but thats not in the cards. Either way I probably wouldn't even be here had my gopros not gotten stolen... I definitely think I'm going to replace my GoPros with something along the lines of the PeauPro82 setup for the solo and then a H5 / stabilizer for the ground.

Hey Frank, wouldn't the built in video stabilization in the Hero5 add a significant improvement to the overall image quality? I'm thinking gimbal + video stab would
1.) yield some nice results and
2.) negate the need for overly engineered anti-vibrate mounts.
Thoughts?

Hey Frank, wouldn't the built in video stabilization in the Hero5 add a significant improvement to the overall image quality? I'm thinking gimbal + video stab would
1.) yield some nice results and
2.) negate the need for overly engineered anti-vibrate mounts.
Thoughts?

I'm not Frank, but I would want to see the image stabilization in some video samples to be able to say whether it helps or possibly hurts the image. Internal image stabilization seems like a roll of the dice sometimes. You may be better off processing in post, but maybe not. Perhaps it helps a lot. Not sure we'll know until we see samples of it actually flying on a Karma.

Reactions: PdxSteve and SARDG
I'm not Frank, but I would want to see the image stabilization in some video samples to be able to say whether it helps or possibly hurts the image. Internal image stabilization seems like a roll of the dice sometimes. You may be better off processing in post, but maybe not. Perhaps it helps a lot. Not sure we'll know until we see samples of it actually flying on a Karma.
That's pretty much the same with everything. There's only so much the firmware and tiny cpus of these little things can do compared to a full blown dedicated app, or plugin utilizing lots of 64 bit cpu/cuda/ram processing power and leaving the little cpu in the camera as free as possible to only get the most basic data. Most IIS I've seen for video in the prosumer arena would give me a headache if watching on a bigger screen due to the way it corrects motion. It's not smooth or natural looking. White balance, color grading, vibrations, etc. are often best left for post. You also have a lot more fine grained control over the final output as there tends to be a lot more options for tweaking in software compared to just a simple on/off camera setting.

Reactions: SARDG
That's pretty much the same with everything. There's only so much the firmware and tiny cpus of these little things can do compared to a full blown dedicated app, or plugin utilizing lots of 64 bit cpu/cuda/ram processing power...
Yep, that in-camera stabilization will be good for weekend action-cam drone warriors, for whom it will be better than the alternative - nothing.

i wonder how many Sony R10C camera gimbals 3DR has already initially manufactured vs how many theyve actually sold?.. it just seems like these will be available to users at some point rather than sitting collecting dust, or someone will reverse engineer...and Sony is going to only sell cameras to 3DR and Kespry? for how long? Really is the antithesis for how Solo was marketed as "open-source"....super annoying

right on, best scenario would just be a 3rd party gimbal ("Made for 3dr" program or whtevr) that could accommodate a subsection of smaller footprint/weight cams that have live view hdmi out....really not that difficult...full control API would be nice but not a deal breaker as the Solo Android app is so buggy, I never bother relying on in-app controls anyway...the only one Id realllllly miss would be trigger start/stop

They need solo for Sitescan so why the hell not just support the damn thing and keep fairly current with it.

sitescan customers aren't buying sitescan packages or parts at best buy. I'm sure sitescan customers can get whatever they need from 3dr directly.

I never did understand why the 3DR platform did not take off. It is way more advanced than the GOPRO Karma. I think if 3DR built a sony camera other than site scan then it could possibly sell better.
For those of us that have been watching the sUAV world know that you get way more features in the 3DR. The GOPRO Karma does have some preset features:
"...These presets let you create smooth, professional-looking shots. You only need to tell Karma how to set up the shot, and the drone takes it from there. For example, in Cable Cam mode, Karma travels along a line, back and forth; the user just needs to set points A and B. There’s an Orbit mode where Karma circles the user; Reveal mode, where the camera pitches downward and slowly tilts up to present a “reveal” of what’s ahead; and Dronie, where Karma shoots a selfie of the user..."

Although there are preset features, I do not think it will be easy for developers because it looks like it is not an open platform for development. The Best Buy - 3DR Solo bundle sale price at 399 gives the PIC more advanced capabilities.
"However, there are many new drone technologies that Karma lacks, like subject tracking, auto-follow, and object avoidance – features you can find in DJI’s Phantom 4, which also offers other advanced features and longer flight time. Update on September 22, 2016: The Karma Controller has “No-Fly Zones” info that lets you know if an area is restricted, using GPS; we originally reported incorrectly that it didn’t have such a capability.
The Karma is certainly enjoyable if you’re a first-timer or casual user (which, admittedly, I am), but advanced hobbyists and professionals may find it limiting. However, those looking for a no-brainer drone that’s capable of shooting professional-quality videos may be willing to overlook the Karma’s shortcomings.
According to Woodman, GoPro intentionally left out those features because the company doesn’t feel those advanced technologies are ready for ordinary users (we’re sure DJI would disagree). He stressed that Karma (or any GoPro product) needs to deliver a great out-of-the-box experience, and adding unreliable features may turn regular people off. He does believe that drones are very much in their infancy, so while Karma may not have those advanced features now, it’s clearly on GoPro’s roadmap. And, the GoPro name carries a lot of weight.
" Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/gopro-karma-drone-hands-on/#ixzz4LHBTSaNw

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44