Gimbal Shipped

So I'd like to share my experiences. I had a pre-order in months ago through 3DR but not directly, through a 3rd party (but it was still submitted to 3DR for fulfillment. Long Story.) HOWEVER: Actual 3DR pre orders were prioritzed above these, and so I never got one. I actually just got it a couple weeks ago when they FINALLY showed up at BestBuy, so I still have my original gimabl on order with 3DR and it hasn't had ANY movement, yet I've been flying with my BestBuy-purchased gimbal for a couple weeks now.

It kinda sucks but, I suggest anyone who didn't get one yet to immediately grab one if they see it at a local Fry's or BestBuy etc, and cancel their pre-order if its not already shipped. (Unless you have a plethora of patience and can just wait). Mine ran out .

That being said the gimbal is working mostly great. Had one instance of "limp gimbal" but that instantly resolved itself in the air. Plus the updates will fix it. Still happy with the Solo and its been flying great for many months.

Even the other day at the field someone approached me who had built his own quad and was there tuning it, and he commented on how beautifully the Solo seems to fly compared to what he had read online.

pinch yourself you may just be dreaming
My advice is to take time on the install. Open up the top and take the battery tray out so you can see the wires. Once wires are routed and connected and the gimbal is installed, tug the wires left and right to see how they are pulling on the gimbal. Move them so they least strain the gimbal, so that the motor (silver wheel) is centered both left and right as well as forward and back, and tape or tie wrap the wires up to the top underside of the hull.

If you take your time and do this, the gimbal will likely work well. After doing this, both of mine have been flawless.

First effort, Nada, says gimbal not found.
Second effort, Nada, gimbal justt rolls around aimlessly and after about 5 seconds, solo beeps and shuts down.
YaY! I'm SOOO excited now!

Got tired of all the 3dr drama and cancelled my pre-order for a Solo last July and purchased the Yuneec Q4K. Incredible flying/image capturing machine, well over 100 flights, grabs no less than 18 satellites every time I power up ...haven't launched my Phantom V2+ since the Q4k's arrival. Now if y'all will fly the heck out you're Solos, get all the bugs out, I'll look at picking up the 2nd generation Solo next Spring. I believe that the Solo has the potential to be an awesome quad, once 3DR gets all the bugs worked out. But look out Solo fanatics, Yuneec just signed a HUGE multi-millioin dollar partnership with Intel..YES Intel the worlds #1 chip developer and manufacture, so Yuneecs UAV future possibilities are only limited by their imagination.

FAA Proposes $1.9 Million Civil Penalty Against SkyPan International for Allegedly Unauthorized Unmanned Aircraft Operations

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announces the largest civil penalty the FAA has proposed against a UAS operator for endangering the safety of our airspace.

The FAA proposes a $1.9 million civil penalty against SkyPan International, Inc. of Chicago. Between March 21, 2012, and Dec. 15, 2014, SkyPan conducted 65 unauthorized operations in some of our most congested airspace and heavily populated cities, violating airspace regulations and various operating rules, the FAA alleges. These operations were illegal and not without risk.

The FAA alleges that the company conducted 65 unauthorized commercial UAS flights over various locations in New York City and Chicago between March 21, 2012 and Dec. 15, 2014. The flights involved aerial photography. Of those, 43 flew in the highly restricted New York Class B airspace.

“Flying unmanned aircraft in violation of the Federal Aviation Regulations is illegal and can be dangerous,” said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. “We have the safest airspace in the world, and everyone who uses it must understand and observe our comprehensive set of rules and regulations.”

SkyPan operated the 43 flights in the New York Class B airspace without receiving an air traffic control clearance to access it, the FAA alleges. Additionally, the agency alleges the aircraft was not equipped with a two-way radio, transponder, and altitude-reporting equipment.

The FAA further alleges that on all 65 flights, the aircraft lacked an airworthiness certificate and effective registration, and SkyPan did not have a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization for the operations.

SkyPan operated the aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger lives or property, the FAA alleges.

SkyPan has 30 days after receiving the FAA’s enforcement letter to respond to the agency.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Folks, as ridiculous as many of the current FAA regulations are towards our small UAV's, please follow the rules and don't make things more difficult than they already are for us responsible UAV operators...

Solo is fine, still haven't run across any of these "bugs". Its mostly all user-error, regardless of the users who refuse to understand or admit that.

As for the regulations, I am all for them because its those same users who aren't using common sense and probably shouldn't own drones because they do not understand the technicals fully enough and thats why we have so many accidents that are preventable.

I will happily register my drone with the FAA (coming soon) and would even encourage "licensing" because then the people who fail the tests wouldn't be out there causing issues for the rest of us :)

I will happily register my drone with the FAA (coming soon) and would even encourage "licensing" because then the people who fail the tests wouldn't be out there causing issues for the rest of us :)

I would agree if there was even the slightest chance of compliance. However, there will likely only be paperwork in the box of a NEW drone telling them they need to go online and register before flying. That would work about as well as the FCC registration cards with new CB radios in the 70s when licenses were required.

Got tired of all the 3dr drama and cancelled my pre-order for a Solo last July and purchased the Yuneec Q4K. Incredible flying/image capturing machine, well over 100 flights, grabs no less than 18 satellites every time I power up ...haven't launched my Phantom V2+ since the Q4k's arrival. Now if y'all will fly the heck out you're Solos, get all the bugs out, I'll look at picking up the 2nd generation Solo next Spring. I believe that the Solo has the potential to be an awesome quad, once 3DR gets all the bugs worked out. But look out Solo fanatics, Yuneec just signed a HUGE multi-millioin dollar partnership with Intel..YES Intel the worlds #1 chip developer and manufacture, so Yuneecs UAV future possibilities are only limited by their imagination.
Fiilex_thumbnail21-102x36.jpg
-

epson_logo_289151-150x36.jpg
-

image-1.png

Latest endorsements for Solo

Folks, as ridiculous as many of the current FAA regulations are towards our small UAV's, please follow the rules and don't make things more difficult than they already are for us responsible UAV operators...

im sorry but whos making it difficult? Also as far as I know most everyone in here have been responsible pilots.

im sorry but whos making it difficult? Also as far as I know most everyone in here have been responsible pilots.
Idiots flying stupid have made it difficult.
As far as I know everyone here flies responsibly, but (shrugs shoulders) do they?
There are plenty of operators who through stupidity, ignorance or naivete have made the news.
The Solo hasn't been around very long, so I doubt many of the antics that have made the media have been the results of Solo pilots - Oh wait, it was a Solo that crashed at the US Open.
There have been hundreds (at least) of alleged sightings by pilots that have made the news. Let's ignore those for now, I can focus on just documented drone reports here in the Seattle area over the last 18 months as fodder to drive the push for registration.

A drone interferes with news helicopter over a large fire - drone and pilot are filmed and tracked by the news copter. Media had a heyday with the story.

A drone is spotted outside a woman's 26th floor apartment, supposedly spying on her at 6:30 AM as she got out of bed - she called both police and media. Real story was hidden the next day on the back page - the drone was actually there, but it was a legitimate and legal survey tool that developers were using on a project next door the this woman's building. It was in the air that early in the morning to hopefully avoid any worry by pedestrians below. Too late, it was all over the print and TV media that drones were spying on us, and the damage was done (I know this example was a stupid pilot screwing up, but I include it because it really frightened the public).

An out of control Phantom hits a spectator in the head knocking her unconscious at one of our summer parades in downtown. Media really went to town with the dangers of drones. It was one stupid pilot is all. That pilot did come forward and take responsibility.

Someone tangles their DJI Inspire in the power lines 150 feet above Lake Union (the houseboat community) in Seattle. It stays up there for nearly a week, you could hear it sizzle from the ground as it caused brown outs off and on to the power grid of the houseboats. It cost over $15,000 to have it removed and repair the damage. They really milked this story.

Now throw in the other stories from around the nation, the "near misses (rolls eyes) with jets" etc., and we've laid the groundwork for this.

So while some blame the media - I blame the idiots who flew stupid enough to provide fodder to the media.

Reactions: Raybro
Anyone who comes here to poo-poo 3DR simply makes themselves look green/noobish/uninformed as anyone knows all of the major drone manufacturers are doing pretty awesome jobs right now. These people are internet trolls, certainly not hobbyists who know what they are talking about.

There are no more bugs in 3DR's products than anyone else's, and anyone who has worked in technology knows that a few edge-case bugs are normal, and for the most part everyone else is flying steadily and happily. I feel like an idiot even responding to it lol

Last edited:
As far as I know everyone here flies responsibly, but (shrugs shoulders) do they?
There are plenty of operators who through stupidity, ignorance or naivete have made the news.
The Solo hasn't been around very long, so I doubt many of the antics that have made the media have been the results of Solo pilots - Oh wait, it was a Solo that crashed at the US Open.
There have been hundreds (at least) of alleged sightings by pilots that have made the news. Let's ignore those for now, I can focus on just documented drone reports here in the Seattle area over the last 18 months as fodder to drive the push for registration.

A drone interferes with news helicopter over a large fire - drone and pilot are filmed and tracked by the news copter. Media had a heyday with the story.

A drone is spotted outside a woman's 26th floor apartment, supposedly spying on her at 6:30 AM as she got out of bed - she called both police and media. Real story was hidden the next day on the back page - the drone was actually there, but it was a legitimate and legal survey tool that developers were using on a project next door the this woman's building. It was in the air that early in the morning to hopefully avoid any worry by pedestrians below. Too late, it was all over the print and TV media that drones were spying on us, and the damage was done (I know this example was a stupid pilot screwing up, but I include it because it really frightened the public).

An out of control Phantom hits a spectator in the head knocking her unconscious at one of our summer parades in downtown. Media really went to town with the dangers of drones. It was one stupid pilot is all. That pilot did come forward and take responsibility.

Someone tangles their DJI Inspire in the power lines 150 feet above Lake Union (the houseboat community) in Seattle. It stays up there for nearly a week, you could hear it sizzle from the ground as it caused brown outs off and on to the power grid of the houseboats. It cost over $15,000 to have it removed and repair the damage. They really milked this story.

Now throw in the other stories from around the nation, the "near misses (rolls eyes) with jets" etc., and we've laid the groundwork for this.

So while some blame the media - I blame the idiots who flew stupid enough to provide fodder to the media.
Now hold yer horses a sec there, pard.
First, consider this - if the media weren't already inately biased against drone pilots, why would you assume that they're all just paying attention to idiots flying and screwing up?
Lord knows there are a lot of drones doing some pretty amazing (and publicly beneficial) stuff these days. Assisting in search and rescues, forest fire monitoring - the list goes on ad infinitum.
We all know this, so where are the positive stories? You know, the ones most people would be glad to report with a big pleased grin?
You won't find them because they are not there.
Whenever said someone makes a blanket statement like "How do I/we know you are really flying responsibly", klaxxons go off in my head. That, friend, is what someone who is actively looking for fliers to shove the responsibility onto and afterwards be able to shrug their shoulders and say "Why you looking at me? Ain't my fault!"
Now while it is certainly the case that idiots are causing 99 percent of the trouble, the following is equally true:
Those idiots are not likely here in the first place, and -
the same observations logically also apply to you.
Just sayin'.

Now hold yer horses a sec there, pard.
First, consider this - if the media weren't already inately biased against drone pilots, why would you assume that they're all just paying attention to idiots flying and screwing up?
Lord knows there are a lot of drones doing some pretty amazing (and publicly beneficial) stuff these days. Assisting in search and rescues, forest fire monitoring - the list goes on ad infinitum.
We all know this, so where are the positive stories? You know, the ones most people would be glad to report with a big pleased grin?
You won't find them because they are not there.
Whenever said someone makes a blanket statement like "How do I/we know you are really flying responsibly", klaxxons go off in my head. That, friend, is what someone who is actively looking for fliers to shove the responsibility onto and afterwards be able to shrug their shoulders and say "Why you looking at me? Ain't my fault!"
Now while it is certainly the case that idiots are causing 99 percent of the trouble, the following is equally true:
Those idiots are not likely here in the first place, and -
the same observations logically also apply to you.
Just sayin'.
I'm sorry if my post made you defensive.
The truth is neither you nor I have any idea how anyone else on a forum flies unless they fly with us. That is a fact.
I've been calling out stupid flying and idiot pilots for over two years, mostly on the PhantomPilots forum. That forum is full of stories and examples of stupidity and the exact type of behavior that has landed us all in the situation we are in now.

What do you blame it on??

Who do you think generated the alleged bias the media has?

I've detailed just some local stories above.
In recent weeks on this forum I've seen a pilot asking for help using "Follow Me" while driving his car. Not safe, an accident waiting to happen. He may have been in the middle of nowhere without another auto within 10 miles, but we simply don't know. All we know is he was driving and trying to get follow me to work. Some idiot reads that post and thinks it is a good idea and then tries to drive down his residential street with his drone following, paying as much attention to the drone as he is to the road....

On PhantomPilots recently I've seen members advocating how to avoid the police, to fake landings to confuse them about the pilot's location, or using a disposable decoy drones to send them on a wild goose chase. I've seen member after member there tell others "there are no laws, only suggestions" which leads many to believe they can fly anywhere with impunity. Some have advocated anarchy telling us we need to be flying everywhere in people's faces in order to force acceptance. There is plenty of insanity on drone forums, and plenty more out there in the real world, much of it making the news.
Negative drone stories outweigh positive ones.
But there are positive stories. There has been a lot of media noise (at least here in the PNW) lately over using drones help with forest fires.
In today's local paper:
Photos: Biologists fly drone to track health of endangered orcas

Which reminds me, a few weeks ago a local drone operator was fined and had his drone confiscated for filming Orcas from a height of 15 ft above them. Federal law prevents any craft from getting closer than 200 feet (it may be 200 yards). This was big news in our area. And the guy is a member of PhantomPilots, a professional photographer whose work is absolutely stunning, and ....he is someone who should have known better.

But again, forgive me if I think it is other drone pilots who have landed us in this mess....

I'm sorry if my post made you defensive.
The truth is neither you nor I have any idea how anyone else on a forum flies unless they fly with us. That is a fact.
I've been calling out stupid flying and idiot pilots for over two years, mostly on the PhantomPilots forum. That forum is full of stories and examples of stupidity and the exact type of behavior that has landed us all in the situation we are in now.

What do you blame it on??

Who do you think generated the alleged bias the media has?

I've detailed just some local stories above.
In recent weeks on this forum I've seen a pilot asking for help using "Follow Me" while driving his car. Not safe, an accident waiting to happen. He may have been in the middle of nowhere without another auto within 10 miles, but we simply don't know. All we know is he was driving and trying to get follow me to work. Some idiot reads that post and thinks it is a good idea and then tries to drive down his residential street with his drone following, paying as much attention to the drone as he is to the road....

On PhantomPilots recently I've seen members advocating how to avoid the police, to fake landings to confuse them about the pilot's location, or using a disposable decoy drones to send them on a wild goose chase. I've seen member after member there tell others "there are no laws, only suggestions" which leads many to believe they can fly anywhere with impunity. Some have advocated anarchy telling us we need to be flying everywhere in people's faces in order to force acceptance. There is plenty of insanity on drone forums, and plenty more out there in the real world, much of it making the news.
Negative drone stories outweigh positive ones.
But there are positive stories. There has been a lot of media noise (at least here in the PNW) lately over using drones help with forest fires.
In today's local paper:
Photos: Biologists fly drone to track health of endangered orcas

Which reminds me, a few weeks ago a local drone operator was fined and had his drone confiscated for filming Orcas from a height of 15 ft above them. Federal law prevents any craft from getting closer than 200 feet (it may be 200 yards). This was big news in our area. And the guy is a member of PhantomPilots, a professional photographer whose work is absolutely stunning, and ....he is someone who should have known better.

But again, forgive me if I think it is other drone pilots who have landed us in this mess....
My friend, I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post.
I have been publicly railing against incompetent RC pilots for years. Decades in fact.
Until a few short years ago, I was the only RC pilot with a plane-mounted camera within a hundred miles radius. I filmed videos at literally every desirable location in and around my home town. Hundreds of hours worth.
Problem was, the planes I preferred as aerial platforms - and I still haven't figured out why - were apparently not politically correct. For many I used a Sig Rascal with early-generation coreless motors and nicads, moving right along with technology as it progressed. Another was a Great Planes Citabria, even larger than the Sig but with essentially the same setup. Generally Sony cameras were fitted on homemade mounts I cooked up.
Here's the thing: nearly every time I'd shoot a video, only a few days would pass before a novice pilot - still unable to keep his aircraft in more-or-less stable flight - would arrive at that exact same site and immediately proceed to destroy his aircraft and likely something on the ground along with it. It never failed.
Three guesses on what effect that had on my flying freedom and the first two don't count.
The fact I am well-known in our community likely saved me any true headaches. However - and this is key - anyone flying any type of RC craft within the city limits is being monitored very very closely by a select group of "citizens" who's only desire is that one might make a monumental screw-up. In turn, they will spearhead an effort to ban them entirely. This, as confirmed personally to me, is their stated goal.
When I asked why I was invariably told "Because I don't like them".
Now. It's all fine and dandy to rant against those idiot pilots, but in practice it does little or nothing of true value.
The reason I can still fly as freely as I do - to this very day - is because I take every opportunity to show my intentions. I offer to take neat shots of their houses from three hundred feet up. Video of their son's softball game? Happy to. Even a couple of weddings.
It's perfectly ok to speak your mind among like-minded folks such as we are here. Hell, we all have similiar stories, I bet.
Summing up: it isn't a matter of my being defensive.
It's a matter of self-defense and the method I've found most effective to do it.
Trust me on this - insulting other pilots in a public forum doesn't help.

I appreciate your experience.

I don't understand what you are trying to say regarding the political correctness of your planes? You lost me there....

Now can you kindly show me where I have insulted a list member?

You just complained about young inexperienced pilots messing with your flying freedom.

Can you point out the difference between me blaming unsafe drone flyers for my compromised freedoms, and young inexperienced fixed wing pilots that you blamed for your compromised freedoms?

But specifically:
"Trust me on this - insulting other pilots in a public forum doesn't help."
Please point out where I have done this so that I may apologize to the individual I've insulted.

Thanks.

Oh I completely agree, there are morons out there that cause stupidness but his post rubbed me the wrong way. "us" responsible pilots is so condescending, now I cant speak for everyone but I know for myself I fly safe and respect the rules of where I am at. I just don't like when people make blind assumptions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44