Folding Props ?? Pros and Cons

Reaction score
Greetings from Texas,

I sourced out some folding props and just did a test flight an hour ago. I chose folding props not for the cool factor but for portability. I plan to do surveys and taking them on and off can be a pain as I will be transporting it in a pelican case. I have never flown with folding props so I put some locktight (blue) on the threads. It flew with no problems. Does anyone have any insight as to rather folding props are a good idea or not.

Martin

20151009_143942.jpg 20151009_144206.jpg

How does the Solo handle versus the regular props that it came with? How heavy are the folding props?

Your performance and battery time will change depending on the length, weight, and pitch of the props.
I suppose testing will tell you if it gets better or worse..:eek:

you have to wonder how balanced they are. could see a lot of potential prop vibrations there with no way to balance them

Greetings from Texas,

I sourced out some folding props and just did a test flight an hour ago. I chose folding props not for the cool factor but for portability. I plan to do surveys and taking them on and off can be a pain as I will be transporting it in a pelican case. I have never flown with folding props so I put some locktight (blue) on the threads. It flew with no problems. Does anyone have any insight as to rather folding props are a good idea or not.

Martin

View attachment 1540 View attachment 1541
Hmmmmmmmmm... Interesting..!

I am under the impression that folding props are easier to balance. You don't need a prop balancer. All you need is a scale.

would love to see that process.
Waiting on someone to introduce premium balanced blades. I have a balancer, huge difference in balanced blades

True, but your hub and hardware could be imbalanced....
They could be but don't tend to be. And it's not like you can't check them with a prop balancer.
would love to see that process.
Waiting on someone to introduce premium balanced blades. I have a balancer, huge difference in balanced blades
No doubt balance, in life as well as in props, is a good thing.

Reactions: Martin Tx
I'm with you and Earl here just on looking bad azz alone I'll buy some, add to that I could probably get them into my backpack and I'm sold for sure. Long as there well made I'm sure we could balance if need be, how much and where did ya get em.

Any colors that aren't supporting such a pita football team though, like maybe orange and black. Good as they look I can't even wear my own black and yellow Nike jacket without feeling like a steelers fan, yuck. Kidding but those colors really stand out here in Cincy.

I don't know about the weight or the balance but I do know that that is cool. Show the flight video dude.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Any colors that aren't supporting such a pita football team though, like maybe orange and black. Good as they look I can't even wear my own black and yellow Nike jacket without feeling like a steelers fan, yuck. Kidding but those colors really stand out here in Cincy.
I think the color of 3DR Green would look really Cool ..special with the 3D Relish Green leg extension :)

I reload .308 for my precision rifle so I used that scale (see below). When I was weighing each blade they were ranging within .004 oz of one another. I was planning on balancing them via matching each blade.

20151009_163034.jpg 20151009_162839.jpg 20151009_163107.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rhpdaddy
I got it all at hobby king. I had to figure out the thread pitch first as they do not advertise for solo. 3 full sets and the folding props is not bad , especially if you choose the cheaper shipping.

folding.PNG

and the feet came from

Solo Extenders

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado