Solo and P3P Owner... Real honest discussion please

David, I never have been beyond manual. But the Solo just wont maneuver as fast as the P3.Not saying that is a bad thing as it really was not designed for that.

I would assume it has something to do with the fact the Solo weighs more than a Phantom 3 (2.8# vs 3.7# with GoPro) Well get worse when you add gimbal weight.

Like I said, not a bad thing. Just different birds.
Doesn't the Solo have a better "flight time" then the P3P?, If it does, perhaps some of the extra weight is do to the bigger battery?

Doesn't the Solo have a better "flight time" then the P3P?, If it does, perhaps some of the extra weight is do to the bigger battery?

I don't think so. If anything the P3 seems to has better flight time.

The Solo seems to hold up better in a crash so it might be some build quality.

P3 is faster and more responsive than the P2 series. You hit the throttle and it zips. After flying the V+ for a couple years when I hit the stick on the P3.. I thought wow !

The Solo will flat outrun the P3 speed wise in manual. However it will not out handle it. When you turn the P3 it turns. The Solo acts more like its on ice when it turns.

I am sure the Solo would be superior for filming. Its kind of like Camaro vs Impala.
Like a new Impala, or my old '68 Impala SS?

I have never tried "drift" as I have never tried (yet) other features of SOLO but maybe someone has. Rich? To me, a coordinated turn as in an airplane would be a combination of rudder and aileron (roll and yaw) in such a manner that the aircraft maintains it's CG and does not skid as it does when in Fly or FLY:Manual..
:

. To navigate Solo in drift, move the right stick to initiate
a coordinated turn in that direction. Releasing the right stick will cause Solo to drift to a stop over a two-second period.

Just curious. Skid or coordinated??
David, You have to give Drift a try. It's one of my favorite modes when not filming and just buzzing around! It's like flying a sporty RC fixed wing, with coordinated turns. Anyone that has flown fixed wing will immediately recognize the feel.

I personally own every DJI product except the new Matrice or whatever it is called and the newly annouced p3. And several Blade quads. Having said that I right now prefer to fly with my p3 or inspire. BUT when the gimbal finally ships I may have a close tie for second with the p3 and solo. I love my solo. The p3 has the solo beat on flight time. I constantly get 18-20 minutes flight time with it. I have yet to get 18 minutes with the solo and no camera on it.

P3 is faster and more responsive than the P2 series. You hit the throttle and it zips. After flying the V+ for a couple years when I hit the stick on the P3.. I thought wow !

The Solo will flat outrun the P3 speed wise in manual. However it will not out handle it. When you turn the P3 it turns. The Solo acts more like its on ice when it turns.

I am sure the Solo would be superior for filming. Its kind of like Camaro vs Impala.
Probably need to try Acro mode for those that feel Solo is not fast or responsive enough. Night and day difference from Manual for sure. Manual rates are still tuned WAY down from Acro mode. Pretty sure Solo in Acro would run circles around the P3 with the same competent pilot on each bird.

Probably so. But now we are comparing one aircraft flying with full GPS mode to one that is not.

I never did try the other modes as I said above. I was just hopping for 55 in GPS mode which we found out it wont do. Actually it won't do 55 in manual either or not for very long.

Well with a tail wind where you dont need all the pitch it would :(

Jubair, switched to "drift" and it's like flying an airplane, banked turns, smooth arcs, just like if I were flying it, CG would be,,,in the bottom of the seat..lol. Pretty cool to fly and watch too.

Reactions: Raybro and Jubalr
I find the SOLO extremely stable for filming. The yaw is much slower then the P2 but the solo motion is smoother for video. The P2 is great zipping around tree/objects.

As far as Solo GPS. We had an issue not getting GPS signals.From customer support -Every time you use it in a new location you should do a level and a compass calibration. Everything working now -back home. This is concerning for me as we were trying to launch it from a small boat on lake Erie. No level surface around. ???

Love the Solo and the company. What assume detailed email I received yesterday about the delay in shipment of the Gimbal. I can wait for it.

I was wrong. Started to play with the advance setting and have the SOLO speed and pan to fast. This thing will blow the Phantoms away on tight race course and wide open. Love seeing the 30 amp draw on a full speed to stop and straight climb. Messed with the obits, selfie and cable. I used to fly RC planes and helo so I'm looking forward to the drift, sport and acro modes. My 60/40 solo to phantom opinion is now a 75/25 in favor of solo. worth every extra penny without gimbal.

Oh wait this thing is super quiet compared to the phantoms. I will be testing the db of the Solo and P2 and P3 with a smart phone sound meter at three different position. Will post.

I am really starting to see these two birds(Solo/Phantom) in different leagues. Using 3dr wording. The user experience is far superior on the SOLO. I've owned and flown over 12 RC planes and 3 helos. Own the P2V+ and Gimbal-less Solo.

If you have previous RC flight experience, the Solo will come closer to satisfying you flying thrills. I believe it will be taking my videos to a whole new level.

FYI - my public footage is being uploaded to youtube user yourpartydrone
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZQQNadjQAeCfm2sD83HaXg
as of 8/7/2015 these videos are taken with the Phantom 2V+ w hacked zemus gimbal and hero 3+. Will provide Solo gimbal video for comparison.

Probably so. But now we are comparing one aircraft flying with full GPS mode to one that is not.

I never did try the other modes as I said above. I was just hopping for 55 in GPS mode which we found out it wont do. Actually it won't do 55 in manual either or not for very long.

Well with a tail wind where you dont need all the pitch it would :(
I had a good tailwind one day in the field and said what the heck let's see. So I got my dad and father in law to help me and managed to get 71mph with the the inspire not gps mode but atti. It was difficult to do and will prob never try it again. I'm gaining trust right now with the solo before I attempt it in full manual mode. I think I can do it. Just getting back the nerve of full manual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea