Flying Solo in obstructed areas?

Scenario #1There are two fail safe modes that operate a bit different to each other.
Let's assume you have a gps fix before you takeoff, flying in manual under a bridge and you have a Comms failure. The solo will go into land mode. This scenario is not effected by the gps lock at the start or no gps lock.
Scenario #2Now we try a very small bridge and we start without a gps lock, as we are flying to bridge about half way to the bridge we obtain a gps lock, we then fly under the bridge, we loose the Comms link. The solo still has GPS fix so it wil come to a stop then climb and RTL. CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOOSE GPS if you are still under the bridge.

The critical thing is to make sure you don't loose the link between controller and solo while you are under the bridge. If you do it in manual it does not make a difference if you loose GPS or not. If you loose the Comms link THEN the behaviour of the fail safe changes.

Scenario#3 So now we try a bigger bridge, a bridge that we will definitely loose GPS. We do it in fly mode. Ie we need GPS, so under the bridge we loose GPS, that is when it will go into land mode because it can not navigate anymore. So if we select manual mode (I always have manual on button A) then we regain control and can fly out.

Hope this clears it up!
In scenario#1; Having GPS at takeoff, lose comm with controller while in manual and SOLO will RTL not land (since it has GPS).

In scenario#2; Solo will RTL to point of initial GPS lock (1/2 way to bridge). If it loses GPS it will then land unless Comm with controller was re-established on the way back.

In Scenario#3' if it loses GPS lock while in Fly mode it will switch to manual automatically, not land, unless controller comm was lost as well.

Bottom line: Solo will only land where it is if it has lost BOTH GPS and controller link.

Reactions: YAPP
In scenario#1; Having GPS at takeoff, lose comm with controller while in manual and SOLO will RTL not land (since it has GPS).

In scenario#2; Solo will RTL to point of initial GPS lock (1/2 way to bridge). If it loses GPS it will then land unless Comm with controller was re-established on the way back.

In Scenario#3' if it loses GPS lock while in Fly mode it will switch to manual automatically, not land, unless controller comm was lost as well.

Bottom line: Solo will only land where it is if it has lost BOTH GPS and controller link.
Ok, thanks a lot for your help guys!

Ok, thank you for your advise and help. This is a small bridge off a bike path, I think I should be fine as I will have a clear view through the bridge so the controller and Solo will remain in connection with one another (comms). I plan to fly quickly through it, so it should only be a matter of seconds. But, I will be surrounded by trees, so I don't know what I should do in case things go haywire, lol.
As afraid as you are about this bridge you probably should either abandon the attempt, or go practice flying Solo without GPS for a couple months! Lol :D

As afraid as you are about this bridge you probably should either abandon the attempt, or go practice flying Solo without GPS for a couple months! Lol :D
I'm comfortable with it without GPS, I just don't want the thing to go haywire if I go under the bridge and it crash trying to RTL or RTH

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44