Flying Solo in obstructed areas?

Reaction score
Website
xperiencevisuals.com
Is it possible to fly the Solo without a Gps lock, manually, in places where the sky is obstructed. For example underneath a tree canopy or in a small canyon? I understand it wont have gps stabilization etc but can it be done?

Is it possible to fly the Solo without a Gps lock, manually, in places where the sky is obstructed. For example underneath a tree canopy or in a small canyon? I understand it wont have gps stabilization etc but can it be done?
Sure. I do it all the time. It is called "Fly Manual" and the altitude is still controlled (by barometer) it just drifts side to side. front to back. You can even assign it to one of your buttons, which I have done. Best to practice with it early on in a wide open area, but once youi get the hang of it, it is pretty easy...

Also, in Manual Fly, if there is no wind, there is no drift. Like Earl said, the altitude is still controlled without using GPS.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Yea beside smart shots I now fly in manual more than fly mode, it's really easy once ya get used to it. Also gives ya much smoother shots especially pre gimbal, but still holds true now with it. If the wind cooperates you can get some really great smooth long shots and focus on your video instead of flying for a bit as it drifts. I was taking off in manual since it's so quick and easy and if I'm flying within 500 feet still do some but if I'm going out farther I at least try to let it lock in a home point in case things go sideways so it returns to a good Home point. Keep in mind though it won't RTH unless you get it back into fly mode in manual there's no RTH so be aware of your Rssi so you don't lose your bird.

Good luck, fly safe, have fun

Oh and welcome to 3dr pilots this place is great for info or any questions you have, even those you feel are stupid will be answered by the guys who have been there already, trust me I've surely asked a couple of these myself.

Reactions: Acroduster
Keep in mind though it won't RTH unless you get it back into fly mode in manual there's no RTH so be aware of your Rssi so you don't lose your bird.

Hey Adimuzio. Are you sure about this? I believe, but may be wrong, that if you are flying Manual and Solo loses connection with the controller (and has GPS available), it will initiate a RTH.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Hey Adimuzio. Are you sure about this? I believe, but may be wrong, that if you are flying Manual and Solo loses connection with the controller (and has GPS available), it will initiate a RTH.

I thought that too and somebody told me different so I just assumed it was safer to fly thinking that way, but you could very well be right. If so I apologize for the inaccuracy, I'm sure the long time flyers here could chime in to confirm. I'll look through the 3dr info, I doubt it says though.

I'd surely be happy if your right cause I tend to fly in fly mode when I go out a ways because of hearing this and I'd rather fly manual most all the time honestly.

I'd surely be happy if your right cause I tend to fly in fly mode when I go out a ways because of hearing this and I'd rather fly manual most all the time honestly.
I've just scoured everything I could find from 3DR and the answer to this exact scenario is pretty elusive.

In looking through older posts here, the general consensus seems to be:

When flying in Manual mode and connection to the controller is lost:
  • If Solo has GPS lock available to it at the time of connection loss:
    • If GPS lock was obtained before takeoff Solo will initiate a RTH, which will be your takeoff location
    • If GPS lock was not obtained before takeoff but was later obtained during flight Solo will initiate a RTH, but this will be the location where Solo first obtained GPS lock in flight
  • If Solo does not have GPS lock available to it at the time of connection loss:
    • Solo will stay in Manual mode maintaining altitude but will be at the mercy of drifting with the wind until either GPS lock or controller connection is reestablished. At the point where the battery is too low for continued flight, Solo will simply attempt to land wherever it is.
Next chance I get, I'm going to safely test scenario one and two above to confirm behavior.

If you take off in manual before there is a GPS lock, home will be established when lock is obtained. So be careful about taking off in manual and immediately flying off in the distance. If you are just going to be flying around close in a local field or park, then home would likely be established pretty quickly and close to where you took off. Certainly in visual range. Maybe with the new update, GPS will be quicker anyway and even if you take off in manual, you'll have a lock before you can go anywhere. (wouldn't that be nice).

Reactions: Maddog
Guys, If I take off in Manual mode, how can I land? I mean, I always fly in Fly mode and use RTH, if it's manual, I should manually stop the props using A+B+Pause?

You can still hold in fly and it will land, press and it'll go into fly or best bet is just land and hold your stick down for a second and it will shut down.

Reactions: egodinho
Guys, If I take off in Manual mode, how can I land? I mean, I always fly in Fly mode and use RTH, if it's manual, I should manually stop the props using A+B+Pause?
I think if you hit A+B+Pause while airborne, the props will stop and Solo will become a plummeting brick.

Reactions: egodinho
Can you take off in GPS mode and then switch to manual fly in the air? If so, then what happens if you lose radio connection at that point? Will the GPS kick in and RTH?

Can you take off in GPS mode and then switch to manual fly in the air? If so, then what happens if you lose radio connection at that point? Will the GPS kick in and RTH?
Please read earlier posts in this thread and you'll find some detailed answers.

Taking off in GPS and later switching to Manual is the same as taking off in Manual with Solo already having a GPS lock. See posts #10, 11, and 12 in this thread.

Last edited:
Please read earlier posts in this thread and you'll find some detailed answers.

Taking off in GPS and later switching to Manual is the same as taking off in Manual with Solo already having a GPS lock. See posts #10, 11, and 12 in this thread.
Those posts all refer to taking off in manual mode. My question is regarding taking off in GPS mode and then switching to manual mode later in the flight. I haven't tried either one so I am not sure, procedurally, how to do either one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44