Flying near lots of iron: magnetic interference issues?

Reaction score
I'm sizing up a flight over a rail yard in town to get shots of graffiti on the train cars. What kind of problems have you experienced with solo flying near so much metal?

Is there a way to overcome the magnetic interference when it insists?

The hardest part would be finding a place to take off. Take off away from the tracks, there shouldn't be any interference when actually in the air flying. I've flown at a major railyard (Port of Portland) quite a bit with tons of tracks all over.

My first flights were tucked in between rail cars and semi trailers with a high tension line making up the 3rd line of a triangle of death!, so much for Colin's suggestion to find a nice open field... no problems with magnetic interference but I did lose GPS signal on landing and wasn't quick enough to correct a side slip that took the solo right into My RV. Major damage to ego, solo was fine!

Not sure what water towers are made of but I did a circle around one and I was pretty close to it and didn't have issues. Maybe its concrete. If so then I hereby certify solo as 100% safe to fly around massive amounts of cement.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great feedback everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. @nuggetz I'm also interested in buzzing some local water towers.

Not sure what water towers are made of but I did a circle around one and I was pretty close to it and didn't have issues. Maybe its concrete. If so then I hereby certify solo as 100% safe to fly around massive amounts of cement.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
some are copper and some are just good ole wood. but the ONLY metal used is copper :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44