Fair price to charge for shooting video with Solo.

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I already posted this question in the Solo Owners Group on Facebook, but also wanted to post it here to maximize the responses I get.

Also, I'm not in the US, and won't need a 333, although my country will be introducing their own regulations soon that very well might make things difficult for me in the future. I'm just going to copy my question below from my facebook post.

"I have to opportunity to do some work with an event photographer using my Solo to take some aerial footage. I've done a few jobs taking video of things such as marathons, and one indoor event in a car showroom at a low price, just to give them an example of my work, which they found to be satisfactory. Now they have requested I do more work with them, and are asking the price I would like to charge. These jobs typically take anywhere between four to six hours of my time, and of course I am using all my own equipment.

My question is, if there is anyone here that does similar work, what would be a fair "industry standard price" to charge for this type of work?"

After getting a some useful replies on Facebook, I would like to stress that I know my work isn't worth thousands of dollars per job. I haven't invested in "professional" gear like an Inspire, or rig that can carry a DSLR that would warrant higher charges in the thousands, but I also don't want to undersell myself and think the Solo is more than up for the task given the requirements. I am a decent pilot who is putting his gear at risk, and spending quite a bit my time getting raw footage that my clients have been very happy with so far. I also am not currently doing the editing, although I might give it a shot in the near future.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read the post, and any feedback that might be offered.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I already posted this question in the Solo Owners Group on Facebook, but also wanted to post it here to maximize the responses I get.

"Also, I'm not in the US, and won't need a 333, although my country will be introducing their own regulations soon that very well might make things difficult for me in the future. I'm just going to copy my question below from my facebook post.

I have to opportunity to do some work with an event photographer using my Solo to take some aerial footage. I've done a few jobs taking video of things such as marathons, and one indoor event in a car showroom at a low price, just to give them an example of my work, which they found to be satisfactory. Now they have requested I do more work with them, and are asking the price I would like to charge. These jobs typically take anywhere between four to six hours of my time, and of course I am using all my own equipment.

My question is, if there is anyone here that does similar work, what would be a fair "industry standard price" to charge for this type of work?"

After getting a some useful replies on Facebook, I would like to stress that I know my work isn't worth thousands of dollars per job. I haven't invested in "professional" gear like an Inspire, or rig that can carry a DSLR that would warrant higher charges in the thousands, but I also don't want to undersell myself and think the Solo is more than up for the task given the requirements. I am a decent pilot who is putting his gear at risk, and spending quite a bit my time getting raw footage that my clients have been very happy with so far. I also am not currently doing the editing, although I might give it a shot in the near future.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read the post, and any feedback that might be offered.
That's a great question- I too would like to know what others think.
What kind of pricing did you get so far? You might try checking aerial photography websites to see what they charge.
Here's one just as an example: www.aerialraders.com
(I'm not connected to this business- I just happened to see it while surfing).

My rate is half my half-day/RED rate. No clue what others charge, and for what I do it doesn't matter.
RED rate is 1200.00 half-day, ergo, UAV is $600.00 for half day for the Solo. The Cinestar is the same as my RED rate on top of the RED that goes on the Cinestar, or $2400.00 half-day.

If you're going into this business, be sure you consider a few factors;
-Amortized cost of your Solo, camera, training time.
-Pre-production planning time (if you don't know what this means, you have no business in this business).
-Actual airtime
-Transfer time
-Cost of insurance (again, if you don't have insurance, you have no business in this business).
-Travel time to/from location

Why are these things important?
First, you want to profit, even if it's just "fun."
Second, it's important you're not undercutting just for the sake of work. You devalue yourself and everyone else in the industry, and it's hard to get "back up" once you've established a low baseline.

If your work is good, people will pay for it and they'll choose you over Uncle Charlie's Droneography every time.
Good luck with it! Post footage if the client will allow it.

Are you going to be selling raw footage, or edited and polished video? Editing/post can take a lot longer than just shooting.

So far it has just been the raw footage, with some stabilization done using Prodrenalin by myself when required.

So far it has just been the raw footage, with some stabilization done using Prodrenalin by myself when required.

Interesting the client will accept "raw" footage that has already been post-processed. That's incredibly rare, but if you can bill out that time, excellent!

Interesting the client will accept "raw" footage that has already been post-processed. That's incredibly rare, but if you can bill out that time, excellent!

I actually provide the raw, and stabilized. This footage isn't being used for movies, or other more complex stuff. Just short web clips for instagram and youtube.

Sounds like you live where I live. In the Cold. Be aware that Canada requires a minimum of $100 000 liability insurance even for just FUN flying. If your charging for it Follow this https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/document...hic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English.pdf Technically the SOLO falls under the 2kg section. And requires only to follow the exemption requirements.

We don't have to register them yet....

Sounds like you live where I live. In the Cold. Be aware that Canada requires a minimum of $100 000 liability insurance even for just FUN flying. If your charging for it Follow this https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/document...hic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English.pdf Technically the SOLO falls under the 2kg section. And requires only to follow the exemption requirements.

We don't have to register them yet....

Actually, I'm currently in the middle East. Very hot. While there aren't any regulations in place now, they are in the process of drafting and implementing them. Once the regulations are in place, there will most definitely be more hoops I have to jump through.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44