Editing Software

Goods things i did not know here...but...
Let's say I want a user-friendly software, and I don't need the most powerful software. : what do you suggest guys ?
(And I don't to spend 300$ neither)

if you don't want to spend $300, your best choice on a mac is hitfilm 4 express or resolve. both are free but hitfilm 4 makes resolve look iMovie when it comes to editing. most people use resolve purely for color correction or grading because editing is so limited.

Sony series is not Mac Compatible. What are you wanting to do that iMovie cannot do? Ask yourself this first. Is iMovie the limit? Have other iMovie users ran into this problem? Did they work around it?
Editing basic cuts isn't difficult. Multiple tracks, syncing sound, and key frames starts getting challenging.

FCP X is the cheapest of the "Pro" software. It is the most like iMovie in use, so it will be the shortest learning curve for you.

Adobe is the most popular for semi-pro-sumers, but $50 a month turns into $300 fast. Part of that popularity is piracy. IF you are getting paid for your work, you don't want to get busted using pirated software.

Hitfilm Express is free, and more powerful than iMovie. I find Hitfilm a bit more difficult to use than FCP X.

As far as it goes, you have a $400 camera on a $1000 drone (plus any other cameras and lenses you shoot with). Going cheap on the software that processes every single shot you take may not be the best move.

Oh, forgot to mention above, I correct my GoPro lens distortion in GP Studio before import into FCP X. The only way I know to do so in FCP X isn't as good. Someone is working on a plugin, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edit - Which reminded me to go looking and found a plugin to correct wide angle distortion at Alex4d.com -- free.

Catalyst from Sony works great on a Mac. I'm a big fan of what BMD Resolve is doing these days.
Resolve is free, until you want the big gun compositing tools. For editing, it's good. For color correction/timing, there simply isn't a better software. On any platform. At any cost. Period. ;)

Reactions: ajdelange
check my new video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Catalyst from Sony works great on a Mac. I'm a big fan of what BMD Resolve is doing these days.
Resolve is free, until you want the big gun compositing tools. For editing, it's good. For color correction/timing, there simply isn't a better software. On any platform. At any cost. Period. ;)

@EyeWingsuit out of Premiere, FCPX & Resolve what would be better running on an older MacBook Pro 2011? I've been reading that FCPX makes use out of the hardware best for older Macs. What is your opinion / recommendation please?

@EyeWingsuit out of Premiere, FCPX & Resolve what would be better running on an older MacBook Pro 2011? I've been reading that FCPX makes use out of the hardware best for older Macs. What is your opinion / recommendation please?

i have a late 2011 17" mbp with 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd and premiere pro, fcpx and resolve work great. performance wise pp and fcpx perform better than resolve. but imo, feature wise, pp can't be touched. fcpx will render the fastest of them though.

Thanks @franknitty69 I'm trying to weigh up purchasing Adobe CC for all the apps at AUD$58 per month or FCPX outright for AUD$375. With CC I also get some others I can make use of Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator but I can't get over the whole pay monthly at this price for 12 months and then next year I guarantee the price will increase again for the next 12 months. I'm not much of a fan of subscription services, wondering what others have to say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the price, fcpx is the way to go. the subscription model of adobe is costly and if you are not making that back on a monthly basis, its a hard sell.

If you don't have plenty of RAM, and/or have an old Mac/Intel CPU, then you won't love Resolve. It'll manage 720p "ok" but not blow your mind for speed. It's painful for 1080, and while it'll load 4K, not worth the hurt. I have a 1.83Ghz dual MBP (older) and it "manages" 4K. Barely, and only on the Windows side. It blows entirely on the Mac side of my dual partition. Go with FCPX.

@franknitty69 which one performs better at stabilization? Or get a third party plugin?

out of the box, adobe's warp stabilizer performs better than fcpx. especially with complex shots.

if you are on fcpx and want better stab, lock n load is good.

on windows, the only stab plugins that can outperform adobe warp stab would be mercalli, prodrenalin and maybe reel steady.

Another vote for FCPX, I also have Premiere Pro but I 100% prefer FCPX, the video I just uploaded called "The Island" was all edited using FCPX

Adobe has a sweet deal for the entire suite ... I'm a fan of Premiere Pro CC, Lightroom and Photoshop.... Just getting a handle on Speed Grade CC which is integrated into Premiere. You can color grade raw - Protune - video and create some stunning looks.

Created with Premiere Pro CC

Adobe has a sweet deal for the entire suite ... I'm a fan of Premiere Pro CC, Lightroom and Photoshop.... Just getting a handle on Speed Grade CC which is integrated into Premiere. You can color grade raw - Protune - video and create some stunning looks.

Created with Premiere Pro CC

What are you paying per month for CC suite in the US?

They are stinging us AUD$57.99 per month in Australia.

Sony series is not Mac Compatible. What are you wanting to do that iMovie cannot do? Ask yourself this first. Is iMovie the limit? Have other iMovie users ran into this problem? Did they work around it?
Editing basic cuts isn't difficult. Multiple tracks, syncing sound, and key frames starts getting challenging.

FCP X is the cheapest of the "Pro" software. It is the most like iMovie in use, so it will be the shortest learning curve for you.

Adobe is the most popular for semi-pro-sumers, but $50 a month turns into $300 fast. Part of that popularity is piracy. IF you are getting paid for your work, you don't want to get busted using pirated software.

Hitfilm Express is free, and more powerful than iMovie. I find Hitfilm a bit more difficult to use than FCP X.

As far as it goes, you have a $400 camera on a $1000 drone (plus any other cameras and lenses you shoot with). Going cheap on the software that processes every single shot you take may not be the best move.

Oh, forgot to mention above, I correct my GoPro lens distortion in GP Studio before import into FCP X. The only way I know to do so in FCP X isn't as good. Someone is working on a plugin, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edit - Which reminded me to go looking and found a plugin to correct wide angle distortion at Alex4d.com -- free.

Don't get me wrong, I love FCP X, but it's not the cheapest. I know the software is cheap, but Apple owns the software and the hardware, and the hardware is not cheap. At all. So to me, it's just the appearance of affordability. But by all means, keep using FCP X, I got Apple stock : )

Don't get me wrong, I love FCP X, but it's not the cheapest. I know the software is cheap, but Apple owns the software and the hardware, and the hardware is not cheap. At all. So to me, it's just the appearance of affordability. But by all means, keep using FCP X, I got Apple stock : )

I'd be thinking most people are also running Adobe software on Mac. Who uses PCs these days? Didn't you ever see those Mac vs PC ads? Who wouldn't want a Mac! That PC was old and fat.

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja
If you don't have plenty of RAM, and/or have an old Mac/Intel CPU, then you won't love Resolve. It'll manage 720p "ok" but not blow your mind for speed. It's painful for 1080, and while it'll load 4K, not worth the hurt. I have a 1.83Ghz dual MBP (older) and it "manages" 4K. Barely, and only on the Windows side. It blows entirely on the Mac side of my dual partition. Go with FCPX.

@EyeWingsuit and @franknitty69 if I am going to use FCPX should I be converting source clips to CineForm or ProRes what would be better for editing performance in FCPX?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks