Drones hinder Firefighting effort

yeah, it's just a long shot hope. i haven't seen any solos making the news yet but only time will tell. at least the ubiquitous silhouette image of a quad is still the DJI Phantom...

The drones
i hope that as time passes, Solo owners are more responsible while Phantom owners keep on messing around in the skies.

Not sure if you are joking but you're going to start a Phanboy war over that statement. Oh, and such a statement is completely wrong and their is no data to back it.

I will say that as the Big Box retailers start carrying RC products (quads and other aircraft) you going to start to see more of this.

I stated somewhere before that when I went to get a 3DR Solo at BB I was curious about what age group the sales rep would say the quad was safe for. he told me someone that was at least 7 or 8 years of age.

The drones

Not sure if you are joking but you're going to start a Phanboy war over that statement. Oh, and such a statement is completely wrong and their is no data to back it.

I will say that as the Big Box retailers start carrying RC products (quads and other aircraft) you going to start to see more of this.

I stated somewhere before that when I went to get a 3DR Solo at BB I was curious about what age group the sales rep would say the quad was safe for. he told me someone that was at least 7 or 8 years of age.
let's hope that kid crashes it before being competent and creating havoc....

Lets be honest. If someone can afford this and they pick on up for little Johnny and little Johnny's parents don't do any research, little Johnny will be attempting to fly this bird in the backyard buzzing his dog and little sister.

Then when little Johnny crashes it or injuries someone its the "drones" fault.

Yea can of worms not worth opening between solo and dji that's how the solo thread was ruined over at rcg. I have both and honestly I do believe 3dr vs dji so far at least just like ps4 vs xbone do seemingly have a certain following behind them, not really who owns them so much but more who pushes and fanboys each.

I'll keep my comments on these fans for each to myself cause I want no part in that debate but it's fairly obvious certain brands have their own type fan boys for the most part, anyone can play or fly either but those pushing their views seem more like minded according to brand loyalty. IMO You can usually tell a fanboy and what company for in their first post or sentence even if they don't mention the product.

Still unlikely being sold at major retailers that solos won't be used by those lacking common sense or maturity tho. Too many idiots with more dollars than sense for that dream but solo, phantom, bmw, or Hyundai if it's available to the public it will be misused and likely will cause injuries to someone sooner or later, all we can do is educate ourselves and others and hope for the best. Products aren't the problem people are if they ban one thing idiots will find something else to misuse, we've all said it you can't fix stupid.

Disclaimer just an opinion from experiences.

yeah, it's just a long shot hope. i haven't seen any solos making the news yet but only time will tell. at least the ubiquitous silhouette image of a quad is still the DJI Phantom...
hey im confuse now what really your intention here flyaway phanboy ?

not at all. i've owned a Solo and wouldn't go back to anything DJI made just b/c of another added investment and the original Phantom being a testbed of my piloting skills and FPV gear.

it seems many manufacturers have adopted a mass produced quadcopter as having a white shell, ubiquitous extension arms with rounded corners, and a slight raised center. throw in prop protectors, and you have your typical quadcopter that just so happens to LOOK like a phantom.

Be it a Typhoon Q500+, Syma X5C-1, Cheerson CX-20, or a WLtoys V303, they all sport a very similar shape and color.

the 3DR solo is one of the fewer higher end quads to be in an all-black shape that has an enclosed shell. hence it doesn't look the same as your standard generic quad.

no different than cell phone symbols nowadays mirror the iphone 3, i'm merely stating that if you were to ask an average American to draw a toy drone out for you, they'd prob sketch a phantom.

the original 'drones' that were spotted over the fires in SoCal were actually remote piloted aircraft with wings, not props. yet they would still be considered "drones" in the majority populace. immediately afterwards the signs that came up showed a quadcopter.

it's no different than GoPros being the poster child of all action cams despite so many out there now.

case in point (http://gawker.com/airborne-robocriminal-drops-heroin-weed-tobacco-into-1722133200)

Last edited:
The drones

By that criteria, my cat (who is very dexterous) should be able to fly one. She is very considerate and would therefore be a better candidate then many of the idiots flying these things ;)

The idiocy never stops. If people don't stop this stuff we'll all be banned from even owning one.

Time told us today eh?

Took mine on a trip this weekend* and on the way back, while going through security at DFW, the TSA agent said that he had a guy come through last week from Seattle that said he had taken "cool drone video" of the fires in California. I just shook my head and went on my way.

*Kudos to the 3DR case designers - that thing fits PERFECTLY in the overhead bins of the 3 different aircraft I flew (B737-8, A319, ERJ-175).

Took mine on a trip this weekend* and on the way back, while going through security at DFW, the TSA agent said that he had a guy come through last week from Seattle that said he had taken "cool drone video" of the fires in California. I just shook my head and went on my way.

*Kudos to the 3DR case designers - that thing fits PERFECTLY in the overhead bins of the 3 different aircraft I flew (B737-8, A319, ERJ-175).
Hmm, wonder if it was the guy from here (Seattle) who was just fined over $1000 for filming/chasing Orca pods from too close, or the guy they are looking for who was buzzing the ferry? We seem to have more than our share of thoughtless pilots here in the PNW.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela