Pilots vs State Legislators

Reaction score
I believe we are in for a ruff ride. State legislators are enacting legislation to bar UAV's or actually enhance them. In South Dakota, they recently passed a law giving police the authority to use UAV's in crowd control situations. Two California UAV manufacturers are working with local law enforcement to equip UAV with Tasers, Tear Gas and Rubber Bullet firing mechanisms. In contrast, California legislators are drafting legislation that will require a license to fly anything. A rep from the AMA and a rep from DJI testified agains the legislation in a recent hearing in Sacramento. The big problem for the law makers are the 12 incidences of UAV pilots interfering with fire fighter and the pilots that fly higher than 400 ft. and fly out of line of sight. This minority of pilots are the perpetrators of the majority of the anger on the part of the public and lawmakers. They care about no one but themselves and their insatiable need to fly as high as they can and as far as they can with no concern for the safety of people or property. So even though DJI claims their UAV have built in protections against such activity, the "MODDERS", as they so affectionally call themselves simply go around the safe guards and fly dangerously and irresponsibly anyway. Here's where I believe, based on the articles and media show daily on this subject, that we are heading. Licenses will be required to fly. There will be severe restrictions for all pilots. Modifications to manufactured UAV's eliminating built in flight restrictions will be illegal and will be punishable by stiff fines and jail time. There will be no such thing as a "Hobbiest" anymore. Everyone will be held to the same standards. This is simply my opinion, but I've seen this movie before. A few morons have created this terrible problem for all of us. And, as always, the public will speak and their voice will be heard in every State legislature in America. California will be the worst because if you happen to land a UAV on an ant hill you can be jailed for wanton disruption of the environment. That's my reality. I'm very disappointed about where all of this seems to be heading. A Gimbal is the least of my concerns now!!

This is why I am listing my Inspire 1 for sale. I would rather recoup some of my money rather than wait until it is banned and have an expensive paperweight.

A another point is everyone can demand it's their right to fly instead of a state or federal issued privileges. We have plenty of freeways filled with self serving incompetence and drivers with limited mental capacities. So we are all regulated to the same simple standard of who's at fault. I would hate to see more morons entering our airspace. It does need to be regulated and well thought out. I personally believe I will be able to fly my UAV next to an airport or possible a stadium as a commercial UAS operator. The hobbyist will have several more restrictions. Don't like it, become a pilot so you are in tune with the current and future air traffic procedures and regulations. In the mean time if you casually drive in the left lane and don't see the logic why slower traffic must move to the right, please plan on staying a hobbyist operator. Just my opinion but then again opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. now on a lighter note.

pumpkin-scarecrow-mooning[1].jpg

Burke

Move to a free state. Problem solved
It will be coming to your state soon enough. Now there is a bill on the Governors desk in California that is very restrictive. This is so not good.

It will be coming to your state soon enough. Now there is a bill on the Governors desk in California that is very restrictive. This is so not good.

Im still waiting for California to fall off into the ocean so they can be independent of the rest of the US, Then it might solve a good portion of the immigration, welfare, wildfire, and drought issues all at once

Reactions: Raybro
It would be a start. I know of some other places that could just as soon follow suit. But as that's not likely to happen any time soon, what can be done against this rising tide of bad press and knee jerk reactions by government? The good stories about UAV's aren't getting out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44