Dont throw that relish flat cable away... just yet

Reaction score
with 3 bad ribbons I was sort of over them.
Ian Soler on Facebook suggested cleaning the contacts.
Well mine is never flown near water or moisture, but I figured what the heck. Let me break out a meter and see if I can find out where my bad cable was failing.
It turns out these ends don't have to be off by much to not connect.
I started isolating on one end, and then one end to the end of cable, then from connector to connector

I found my second connector was just no lining up and making contact.
When I finally got it just right I had a closed circuit.
Put hot glue on the connectors on both ends and put it in solo 2.
Just flew out over 2000 feet in crazy wind and had no rolling or loss of signal.
I still thing these ends are just to easy to loose connection.

Going to fly it for a while, but at least its working again now;

yeah, incorrect in my case.
I also use foam.
These cables I had were open.
Meaning you could not read a circuit end to end.

Only by taking the steps above did it become a viable cable again.
So while I accept your premise that the connectors are often the problem on a good cable, it is not the case here

I'm curious if the crappy out of spec connector is the one on the Solo or the one on the relish cable....

I'm curious if the crappy out of spec connector is the one on the Solo or the one on the relish cable....
Hate to disagree with Steve
But in my case, the ends on the relish cable are to fragile.
I proved clearly this had nothing to do with the connector on the main board or the gimbal.
The cable when tested with a meter was opened.
No circuit
Only after working on it and a bit of trial and error was I able to repair the cable.
It remains to be seen if the repair will hold up

I'd venture to bet it's the connector on the after market cable. No dig on David's solution, it is what it is, he has the same issues with supplied components. The ribbon pinch connector itself could be replaced with a possibly a better quality...

Further, If people muck with the stock cable connection at the main board, they likely didn't replace the tie wrap that retains it....as it is a unusually narrow type that fits the hole. Seems common that half a story is told when things don't work...

I believe the chinese sourced components, bandgood/aliexpress and the like, are seconds rather than first quality. Just an opinion of course, but its more common rather than the exception from my experiences. If Mouser or Digikey doesn't offer the component, I'm not buying...no savings from the time wasted isolating an inferior component.

Reactions: SARDG and SteveReno
...Seems common that half a story is told when things don't work...
Boy... ain't that the truth! That's why I ask for so much detail - regarding absolutely everything - when someone comes with a problem. Frequently turns out that a critical piece of info was omitted during the first 'ask'.

Thing is... saying things like "I have the latest FW, SW, etc." doesn't work either as many folks are unclear about what the "latest" actually is.

So you don't think that applications such as are's don't need a better solution then the normal HDMI from aliexpress and the like are? I think we do. the problem is interchangeability.
Is fiber optics out of the question? same problems maybe... Sooner or later everyone will experience Feed Problems.
I have no idea what you said...seems your spanish and english are mixing up the sentences....;) I was inferring individual components, like connectors and wire. Complete assemblies from china is another topic and would be referring to PixHawk, GPS modules and power supplies

Fiber optics!?! Where did that come from, you're reaching...not a solution in the same confines.

Not true, "...Sooner or later everyone will experience Feed Problems". If you're dinking around like I am with my bird, then sure, it's expected and understood. You crash hard enough, then you should expect some issues. Other than that the OEM hardware build and components is second to none for 99% of the users. You must be a 1%'er....;)

Sorry Rich, when ever i get my green card, ill chat with you .LOL
I'm 6 Gen. american....but happy that there won't be any wall.
Toss off the chip, didn't mean anything other than our language is mixed here SoTx. Not going there on the wall reference...wrong website.

Steve's solution is a good one, but it won't correct an open cable. Tend to agree with Rich that the stock cable managed property is the most reliable. I just had 3 dead relish cables and tried a suggestion and fixed one. That's all

Rich I should have another dead one laying around
If I can find it I will send it off to you.
I am still going to get a few stocks from current if they have them. One has your name on it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks