Don't buy a solo...

Was your offending post removed? The one where I am called an a**hole (by another forum member) still stands, as does the other posts he made attacking me. I don't recall seeing anything that offensive from you, but I may have missed it.
Guess I missed it......

mr rrmccabe

you give me a warning shot in a PM did my message abusive?? ok im done here if you want me to ban my account here go ahead man, okey?

We cannot allow users to be abusive, overly aggressive, threatening, or to "troll". This does not follow our rules. Your message may have been removed or altered.

Your account's access may be limited based on these actions. Please keep this in mind when posting or using our site.

Bro, It's a standard MOD text. I should know. Just be cool and everything will be OK.

I don't get this behavior of validating your choices by devaluing others choices. Its the worst part of the drone community in my experience. I send logs when I have issues to 3Dr and an engineer gets back to me within a few days. I had a defective solo out of the box and they replaced it in a week because I bought the last one from frys. The gimbal works great. I lose signal from time to time but it's because of choices I made with a directional antenna. An engineer gladly checked what happened at no cost to validate the solo was not the issue. Does dji do that, I don't know but I also don't care. Is the p3 better? I don't see how it could be but again, I don't care because I am happy with the solo. None of these things are perfect and knowing that as a consumer all I can ask for is for the company to help when I need them to. They have, with a good attitude each time, and I would never dream of returning mine. But if you need to bash something else to feel better about your purchase knock yourself out. I just don't see the point.
Great way to put it I couldn't possibly agree more it makes absolutely no sense but sadly is all too common. Come on folks stop the hate lmfao, as dodge said drone lives matter let's break the color barrier now and for good. Our solo has just as much right to be at NAB as that little white bird does right?

It's laughable but so true and it seems to be largely folks trying to prove to their self they made the right choice after buyers or returners remorse, basically just jealousy cause folks believe the grass is always greener. I get a snide comment or two jokingly but the obsession you see in these forums on the issue is amazing, it's much worse on other sites and I've seen this argument going since solo was announced. Folks wasting literally thousands of hours saying the same thing trying to save grown people from their own choice it's insane. I have one of both companies quads and they both are great, like was mentioned competition is great for us as consumers, in price and features among other advantages,

I'm not an owner of any drone yet. I've been stalking both of the big names - 3dr and Phantom.
After all I've read on the forums for both companies, I'm leaning toward the Phantom.

This is a really disappointing story and I hope they make good on your expensive purchase. After selling people on an unfinished product, at the very bare minimum, I would expect 3dr to have integrity and stand by their product and its flaws.

The reason I am leaning toward Phantom is that, with all things being equal, I'll take the company that has more experience and proven success.

Well, reading these threads I would buy a DJI. I did because of the timing before Solo was out. I had issues, got burnt by DJI customer support and spent more on my P2V+ then I did the solo with a Hero4. There are many differences like a pinto to a vette. I make this reference to the customer support, product design and performance.I don't think you will ever see a phantom fly a barrel roll or a loop and you can never make every 100% happy -dji or 3dr.

Last edited:
We must not be reading the same thread then. I see talk of parameters being changed that do not change themselves. If you expect to turn off a safety feature and then complain when the company doesn't fork over a new drone then you're better off going with DJI. When you turn off a safety and your phantom crashes you could use the 3 weeks waiting on a response from DJI support to convince yourself that you have a new drone coming. At least here you'd know that it was your fault in a matter of days.

Everyone has a Phantom. I wanted something different - something that will evolve. I would rather support a company like 3dr any day. But then I tend to root for the underdog as many of today's pioneers wouldn't be where they are if people' didn't stick with them when they hit a few bumps in the road .. Sure I can go get a P3 and have everything in one box but that was not my criteria. At least with 3dr you are protected if their software goes nuts and your drone falls into an abyss. The black box on the controller tells all and doesn't lie. And since everyone can see the code we know there's no trickery under the hood scamming people out of drones if the software fails.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate? Your short sentences don't really explain much.
please let everyone see how vast your video knowledge is? Go ahead and explain the problems you see in my friend's video. You're the one that needs to elaborate here.

please let everyone see how vast your video knowledge is? Go ahead and explain the problems you see in my friend's video. You're the one that needs to elaborate here.

lol. whats with the attitude? You don't have to be a video expert to notice horizon tilt. But maybe you don't understand what that means so I've prepared some screens for your :)

hRWsp8X.jpg

ZCFI3kD.jpg

mkxsyDB.jpg

mKih1DR.jpg

lol. whats with the attitude? You don't have to be a video expert to notice horizon tilt. But maybe you don't understand what that means so I've prepared some screens for your :)

hRWsp8X.jpg

ZCFI3kD.jpg

mkxsyDB.jpg

mKih1DR.jpg

Oh please by all means post a powerpoint... I know what horizon tilt is. I also know when someone posts unedited video. Not everyone is shooting a full length feature film with a drone, and if they were they would have the skills to fix that in post... unless its as bad as the DJI issue... then theyd buy a different drone/gimbal/camera combo.

That video says maiden flight, how much can you expect from something flown by an amatuer, right out of the box? And if you seen the shape of the go pro after his first solo ate the ground, im suprised it even records as cracked the front and frame of it is.

Oh please by all means post a powerpoint... I know what horizon tilt is. I also know when someone posts unedited video. Not everyone is shooting a full length feature film with a drone, and if they were they would have the skills to fix that in post... unless its as bad as the DJI issue... then theyd buy a different drone/gimbal/camera combo.

That video says maiden flight, how much can you expect from something flown by an amatuer, right out of the box? And if you seen the shape of the go pro after his first solo ate the ground, im suprised it even records as cracked the front and frame of it is.

uhh. there were more than one video i posted? and each of them from a different individual?
and whats with the defensive attitude? did i insult you in some way by pointing out an obvious issue with the delayed gimbal? I think you might have crossed the line into fanboy territory lol

horizon.PNG
uhh. there were more than one video i posted? and each of them from a different individual?
and whats with the defensive attitude? did i insult you in some way by pointing out an obvious issue with the delayed gimbal? I think you might have crossed the line into fanboy territory lol

The question was why doesnt anyone post 4k video, because the legs show?

i linked his video to show no legs no prop

You decided to chime in on horizon tilt.

Its not exactly fanboyism if its an issue on all gimbals... including DJI

Last edited:

hRWsp8X.jpg

ZCFI3kD.jpg

mkxsyDB.jpg

mKih1DR.jpg
As with most gimbals, it is important to be sure it is level and calibrated properly before flying. I went out this weekend and on one of the power ups noticed that there was a slight tilt on the gimbal. Powered down and leveled the gimbal by hand and powered back on and it was fine. About 1 min in on this video shows a decent (maybe not perfect) horizon hold through 360 degrees.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All, After 2 weeks of dealing with 3DR support, and having them accuse me of changing the ARMING_CHECK param when I really did not change anything on the Solo, Today they finally replied to me (a manager did as I asked for a manager) and told me they would send me an RMA and prepaid label and that they would repair/replace my Solo and GoPro under warranty. They said although they do see that the ARMING_CHECK was set to 0, they believe me that I didnt change it and they also see other issues with the drone from previous flights where ARMING_CHECK was set to 1. I am overly excited that they finally got this right and will be sending off my drone and gopro this evening to be repaired.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Del
All, After 2 weeks of dealing with 3DR support, and having them accuse me of changing the ARMING_CHECK param when I really did not change anything on the Solo, Today they finally replied to me (a manager did as I asked for a manager) and told me they would send me an RMA and prepaid label and that they would repair/replace my Solo and GoPro under warranty. They said although they do see that the ARMING_CHECK was set to 0, they believe me that I didnt change it and they also see other issues with the drone from previous flights where ARMING_CHECK was set to 1. I am overly excited that they finally got this right and will be sending off my drone and gopro this evening to be repaired.

Best of luck with the new bird.

To hit on a few things I read on this thread since I posted it...

First and foremost, Im a software engineer in SF, I know what Im doing with technology, and I can promise all of you I never touched Mission Planner, Tower, or any of those apps. I opened the Solo from the box, flew it 3 times using the Solo android app and the only thing I changed was the max altitude from 150ft to 250ft. Thats is it. After I sent the logs to 3DR I reviewed them myself and saw that the ARMING_CHECK was set to 0 on that final crash flight. The pixhawk doesnt seem to log param changes though, which is weird to me because it does log any and all SSH connections made to it. So You could see that all SSH connections were made by the controller, no connections were made by any other IP's or apps. So there is no way to see how or when the param was saved other then the fact that on the day of the flight, the logs show ARMING_CHECK set to 0 when the Solo turned on.

I agree, I don't think params like that can just change, as they are written to a file explicitly as a 1 or a 0. But I can assure you that I did no changing of params and the only time I downloaded the APM software for mac was the night of the crash because I wanted to see the logs myself after I had sent them off to 3DR.

Anyway, 3DR did see weird stuff in the logs, like a lot of users here saw on the flights leading up to that day so they are issuing an RMA and repairing the drone and gopro under warranty so I amd very glad about that and I look forward to flying the Solo again now that my anger has worn off a bit.

I will be very cautious after this though and will probbaly review the logs periodically to ensure ARMING_CHECK is always set to 1.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44