Comparing 3DR Solo to the current DJI product line

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It'd be cool if the Solo could allow one operator to fly the copter using Intelligent Orientation Control like DJI. That way the operator could intuitively pilot the copter (locked on a specific bearing) within LoS while a second person would take care of the perfect framing.
You;d need a second controller (or an app) for the camera operator too.

Just an idea.

He is either intentionally misleading or truly ignorant of the 3rd party apps that negate many of the advantages he states the Solo has.

He should probably acquaint himself with Litchi and Autopilot before he makes such ridiculous statements as if they are fact. Both those apps can do things that MPCC can't.

Frank,
When you said that last year you were mostly right, but the landscape is changing rapidly in regards to capabilities being developed for the DJI crafts. Sadly there doesn't appear to be as much progress for the average Solo consumer.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
The Solo still has the best splines for waypoints, i.e. the smoothness they bring to video, it certainly beats Litchi.

Meanwhile, the DJI API has bugs, meaning when you're using 3rd party apps you can be at risk and it's only if the developers are honest enough to publish flaws with the API that we find out as DJI certainty doesn't make them known even when they're aware of them internally.

Trying to suggest there's no progress with Solo's software is utter nonsense, putting aside the couple of releases in 2016 already there's a very significant update being tested at this moment. As soon as one software release is published to the public, 3DR are already working on the next...

Last edited:
Reactions: franknitty69
It'd be cool if the Solo could allow one operator to fly the copter using Intelligent Orientation Control like DJI. That way the operator could intuitively pilot the copter (locked on a specific bearing) within LoS while a second person would take care of the perfect framing.

If the Solo is 'locked on a specific bearing' and the operator had full control of the camera for 'perfect framing', wouldn't that be MPCC with free look? Orientation is then a non issue.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
If the Solo is 'locked on a specific bearing' and the operator had full control of the camera for 'perfect framing', wouldn't that be MPCC with free look? Orientation is then a non issue.
Correct the Solo has free look in the options when setting up a cable some people still aren't aware of free look I guess.

True, although I'm thinking about times when you just want to wing it and can't setup a MPCC. Either when you can't control your subject or when you need to fly manual.

Imagine if you're in a forest filming a runner. You can't use GPS. It's easy to fly in a straight line along the trail but aiming at your subject is near impossible. Beside, framing and making sure your drone doesn't hit a tree is a challenge.
Now if you lock your drone to a bearing and just focus on flying in a straight line and dodging trees, the second person can focus on camera angles.
That's the kind of thing you can do with an Inspire that Solo can't do yet.

It's the kindo of stuff that could be made using the Dev Kit I suppose.

what you are describing is a two point cable with free look
very easy to set up and framing is a breeze. I use this method to fly along side a road and can frame a car in motion perfectly

what you are describing is a two point cable with free look

i'm talking about situations where GPS is sketchy or unusable. You need GPS for the smart shots.
Or if you want to shoot without a clear plan (freestyle)

It probably won't happen for a while and as @PdxSteve said, it's not compatible with the Solo name :D
The point of Solo remains to be a one-man enterprise.

Very misleading none the less.

On the contrary, I think assuming that people know you need a 3rd party vendor to achieve those things is misleading.

When a manufacturer compares their product to another product, why would they compare it to a competitor's product that has been modified or upgraded? You never hear Android bragging about their advantages over a jailbroken iOS device, right?

I don't think most would consider buying an app for less than $30 to be upgrading their product. When I use Tower or MP I don't consider my craft upgraded; but I do consider their value when comparing what my quad can accomplish against other offerings.

If not intentionally misleading it sure wasn't full disclosure of what the DJI line can do. Not saying that was his job to be objective. To mention features or apps that give a competitor some significant advantages was not in his job description.

Reactions: J R
I don't think most would consider buying an app for less than $30 to be upgrading their product. When I use Tower or MP I don't consider my craft upgraded; but I do consider their value when comparing what my quad can accomplish against other offerings.

If not intentionally misleading it sure wasn't full disclosure of what the DJI line can do. Not saying that was his job to be objective. To mention features or apps that give a competitor some significant advantages was not in his job description.

While I can see your point of view, you have to remember that in order to make a true and honest apples to apples comparison, you have to compare the two products as they come, out of the box, with both the software and hardware that the manufacturer provides you at the time of purchase.

The fact of the matter is that out of the box with the Solo and 3DR app I can accomplish certain things that my P3 with the DJI-Go app can not. Apples to apples.

Tower is 3DR, so it's not 3rd party. @tomnjfl is completely right. Out of the box = apples to apples. No one says "and with 3rd party apps, addons, extensions, we can do what others can do too" when marketing their product. Free or cheap or expensive doesn't matter. That would be kind of embarrassing. You market and compare what your product can do, as you created it, not what others can make your product do lol.

Reactions: J R and Solo Keith
That's really the only way any product manufacture can market, is how it is delivered to you as new. Or the auto manufacturers could start blowing up their performance figures based on a aftermarket performance programmer (software).

Toyota: if you buy a Corvette engine and stick it in your new Prius with this aftermarket kit, you can go from 0 - 60 in 4 seconds!

Then I guess he should have said "Now remember as great as the Solo is it cannot take a single picture or film at all like most of the DJI offerings can."

Please, it was pointedly misleading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks