Car charger

Right now an inverter is the only option, but it's kinda silly if you think about it.

An inverter converts the car's DC power to AC. The power brick used to charge the battery converts AC to DC. So if you use an inverter in your car to charge your battery, your converting DC to AC and then back to DC. I'm surprised they haven't released a car charging kit yet. It's a pretty simple product to make and I'm sure a lot of us would buy one.

My option is not an inverter, works good

Reactions: erikgraham
Great thread guys! I did a lot of research on this & consulted an electrical engineer some time ago so I thought I'd add my .02.

1st of all, sensitive electronics, like lipo battery chargers, need a "pure sine wave" power supplie to protect the electronics from damage.

2nd, battery chargers consume lots of power! A 300 W unit is plenty for 1 battery but it needs to be hard wired or connected directly to the battery. If you don't run the vehicles' engine, it will quickly drain the battery.

The following link has lots of info on lipo batteries and charging:
Electric RC info, how-tos and such - TJinTech

I narrowed it down to these two chargers but haven't bought one yet:
Samlex 300 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine PST-300-12 - at InvertersrUs

Thor 300 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Does Vehicle need to be started when ever charging? I have one build in also, but never used it.
Depends on the vehicle. MOST need to at least be turned on to accessory, but some will power their 12volt sockets even when off. I don't think that's as good a design as it could theoretically drain the battery.

Reactions: SteveReno
Right now an inverter is the only option, but it's kinda silly if you think about it.

An inverter converts the car's DC power to AC. The power brick used to charge the battery converts AC to DC. So if you use an inverter in your car to charge your battery, your converting DC to AC and then back to DC. I'm surprised they haven't released a car charging kit yet. It's a pretty simple product to make and I'm sure a lot of us would buy one.
I agree. They are behind the 8 ball on this. I use an inverter, but with all the international travel I do (with different mains voltages), that gets messy. The Solo charger adapts to any common voltage (100-240v), but the inverters are specific for each voltage, and are a hassle to carry around.

You want to be cautious of how much power you're using. These inverters can create some serious heat. Just keep an eye out. I've hat connections melt because they got so hot in my car. I use 12v for everything I plug into my car now.

What am I missing? Why go to multiple systems when us can use a AC/DC lipo charger outputting 3.3A @16.8v which is 55.44 watts.

It will draw less then a inverter driving four chargers. Anything charging four batteries will will drain the battery thus you leave the engine running. After all I have one of the clean diesel by VW. I'm not sure which is better? Clean coal or VW clean diesel. jk

It will draw less then a inverter driving four chargers. Anything charging four batteries will will drain the battery thus you leave the engine running. After all I have one of the clean diesel by VW. I'm not sure which is better? Clean coal or VW clean diesel. jk
Would that be a VW with the cheater software?:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44