Buy a new solo, it´s worth it ?

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here , i wanna buy a solo, but i'm confused. Because have so many option,
I'll tell some of you.

New 3dr solo - BestBuy --- U$267,99
New 3dr solo - Amazon --- U$249,00
New 3dr solo with Rev B GPS - Ebay --- 269,00
pre-owned 3dr solo - Ebay ---- U$ 209,99
Geek squad refurbished- BestBuy ----U$ 184,99

Which one do you think feels better? Refurbished is good ?

Reactions: Abraham
Hi, i'm new here , i wanna buy a solo, but i'm confused. Because have so many option,
I'll tell some of you.

New 3dr solo - BestBuy --- U$267,99
New 3dr solo - Amazon --- U$249,00
New 3dr solo with Rev B GPS - Ebay --- 269,00
pre-owned 3dr solo - Ebay ---- U$ 209,99
Geek squad refurbished- BestBuy ----U$ 184,99

Which one do you think feels better? Refurbished is good ?

Go with Amazon since they have the best guarantee. BestBuy has refurbished but there's no guarantee and a friend of mine told the
storemanager after they wouldn't honor a return, "I won't buy from WorstBuy again!" Deals on Ebay are good if from a dealer and
always use PayPal.

Go with Amazon since they have the best guarantee. BestBuy has refurbished but there's no guarantee and a friend of mine told the
storemanager after they wouldn't honor a return, "I won't buy from WorstBuy again!" Deals on Ebay are good if from a dealer and
always use PayPal.

I forgot to mention, I'm going to buy in the United States and send it to Brazil, so the return policy, it does not work for me.

Well, buying a new one is no guarantee that it will be good but that can happen to anything. You can test the controller and motors without flying
it but still a problem could be found on it. My biggest gripe with this quad is it requires WiFi, GoPro camera, Google account and software that has
to interface to a cellphone or tablet plus controller. The GoPro is now been replaced with a new camera that won't work without a bunch of mods.
I was never impressed with GoPro cameras that are overpriced.

Well, buying a new one is no guarantee that it will be good but that can happen to anything. You can test the controller and motors without flying
it but still a problem could be found on it. My biggest gripe with this quad is it requires WiFi, GoPro camera, Google account and software that has
to interface to a cellphone or tablet plus controller. The GoPro is now been replaced with a new camera that won't work without a bunch of mods.
I was never impressed with GoPro cameras that are overpriced.

I can not test there, because I'm going to use a redirector. So I guess I'll have to believe in luck.

Have you heard of this refurbished geek squad?

Which camera can be replaced on it?

Thanks for the answers

Amazon and PayPal purchase covered. Make sure its new and not refurbished, buy two if you can afford it. Keep one for parts. Cheap purchase

I purchased mine from B&H new 2 months ago, but after a problem with the remote control, 3DR replaced it with a Refurbish model that shows body scratches claiming after my complain that a refurbish model is better than a new model! From my experience, get a refurbished model, I like Bestbuy, I've purchased items that were refurbished and they have work out great. Let us know what you do.

I got a refurbished Solo from 3dr for about $180 plus $15 shipping. It works great. They might still have some left.

I may suggest that if is posible, buy two at the cheap refurbished and that way you have one for spare parts.

I did that way since I bought for my home in Costa Rica and very happy since is a great drone, but if one are living outside USA there is not cheap way to apply warranties in USA, since customs usually charge you again at the return... This without mention the shipping costs...

For the price of solo is a great drone for ensure got it flying long time.

Best regards

I bought an Open Box one for $225 from Best Buy last week. It came with a one year warranty. This is my first solo and I fell in love with it. But on my third flight one of the props sheared off taking a second prop with it and it fell 30 feet and hit cement... hard. All props broken, chassis cracked, battery bay popped out of it's slot, gopro housing crushed and one of the motors refused to spin up afterwards. I went back to Best buy and told them exactly what happened and that "...it should all be in the flight logs". My thinking is that a good, working drone, open box or not, should not throw a prop like that. The GS guy looked over the drone, said "Yep, it crashed. Just a sec" grabbed another open box one out of the back and gave me that one. In and out with new'ish drone in hand and in under 5 min. He also said to go and try it out and make sure it flew as expected and to bring it back if it had ANY problems. I'm not normally a big fan of BB. I do kind of like them more that they have turned into this sort of Kickstarter retail outlet but I never actually expect the boys in blue to know anything about the product.

Anyway, I fell in love with the Solo so hard that I ordered one of the refurbs for $170. Seriously, this drone is the equivalent of what, any other $1k drone and I just bought one for under $200? Oh, I have to buy a gopro? Ok, I'll admit that I have a 3+ Black already but you can get a 4 Silver factory refurb for $200. Or if you don't mind hitting record before takeoff you can get a knockoff 4k camera for less than $80. All in you are at under $400 for a prosumer grade drone AND you are not camera constrained as far as future proofing. I'm actually planning on buying two more.

The worst part of this is that my kids are pleading with me to fly it and knowing my kids (oldest is 10) that is just not going to happen. So I promised them that I would get them a "practice" drone and when they got good enough with that they could fly the Solo. So I have spent the past week looking for decent sized quad for them to crash and guess what, every quad that is of decent size and quality is almost the same price as a refurbed solo. I'm going to end up with 10 of these if I keep thinking about it like that.

Reactions: FishSniper and EZL
I bought the Solo Rev b GPS for $269 on ebay and a Best Buy Solo gimbal, but my XiaoMi Yi camera is not useable with the gimbal. I bought a used GoPro 4 silver which was defective and then a used GoPro 4 black which also was defective and finally a new GoPro 4 black which works well with the Solo. I like how the Solo flies and how it handles photography, but it costs $600, unless you already have a GoPro 3+or 4 camera. If you cannot use the warranty, I think buying the cheapest Solo with PayPal and then a for parts Solo is best. I also have heard a Git1/2 camera will fit (no in air camera control ), there maybe other GoPro clones as well?

I got a refurb also from Best Buy, little scratch on battery but other then that no problems, will probably get another just for parts if needed or whatever.

got 1 off amazon new for 250 and two spare drones for parts from ebay that were bestbuy returns. my parts drones from ebay fly with no problems after resetting software.

got 1 off amazon new for 250 and two spare drones for parts from ebay that were bestbuy returns. my parts drones from ebay fly with no problems after resetting software.

Were those the $80 "Untested" ones I've been seeing?

Were those the $80 "Untested" ones I've been seeing?
actually one i got for 55 and 59 for other. I may have gotten lucky also, #1 was flawless and #2 was not going past mag interference until i uploaded parameters from my working drone to it using "tower" they were listed as bestbuy returns. I looked it up and apparently bestbuy sells pallets of "returns" and some people bid and buy em up for resale. I was just hoping for a few good motor pods and was very pleased.

About cameras... Since the gimbal is somewhat cheap... I remove the gopro connector front the electronic board of the gimbal and since I used a Git2 that with the HDMI cable I have live video feed on app cell... Also with on screen data on in camera setting I have the info showed in the same video feed (somewhat overlap icons but very readable) and the gimbal work perfectly with git2 camera

About cameras... Since the gimbal is somewhat cheap... I remove the gopro connector front the electronic board of the gimbal and since I used a Git2 that with the HDMI cable I have live video feed on app cell... Also with on screen data on in camera setting I have the info showed in the same video feed (somewhat overlap icons but very readable) and the gimbal work perfectly with git2 camera
which app do you use? I wonder if the gopro hero 4 copies on dhgate would work. I did that with a cheap 360 camera but the telemetry was fisheye in solo so not too useful

which app do you use? I wonder if the gopro hero 4 copies on dhgate would work. I did that with a cheap 360 camera but the telemetry was fisheye in solo so not too useful
I use 3dr solo app but I bet that it works with any app, since the video of the HDMI out of the camera is mixed by the solo drone internal computer in the data feed channel that the solo transmitted to their hand remote control, so almost sure that works with any app that use the wifi connection of the hand remote control. ☺️

actually one i got for 55 and 59 for other. I may have gotten lucky also, #1 was flawless and #2 was not going past mag interference until i uploaded parameters from my working drone to it using "tower" they were listed as bestbuy returns. I looked it up and apparently bestbuy sells pallets of "returns" and some people bid and buy em up for resale. I was just hoping for a few good motor pods and was very pleased.

HOLD ON... you had me at "pallets". Where/how does this happen. This is something I need to get in on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44