Boat mode

Reaction score
Smaller cruising sailboats are not great landing platforms for drones (way to much rigging to crash into and not enough flat surfaces). Anyone know details on what they did for boat mode?

I'd be interested to know more on this as well! I've never attempted a flying catch landing yet, and would love to take Solo out on a lake but it makes my palms a little sweaty just thinking about it. Maybe boat mode would allow you to set the landing point as where your phone/controller GPS is, allowing solo to be aware that the take off / land platform is moving?

supposedly its going to be able to detect a moving object (for someone who owns a 14 foot zodiac and and 14 foot sailboat which i built) boats have a lot of movement on the water as of now it would not end well if you tried it but on a smaller type boat like mine it would be hard anyways. Anyways I think the boat mode is to more detect the boat but the landing is the hard thing still i hope there is a almost pad they make where you lay that on the boat and it can detect the pad with a sensor underneath so you can just hit the fly to land button and it will see the pad and land on that but may be getting overly hopeful

Could be wrong, but from what I have read there are two components, modified arming sequence to get past the motion of the boat at lift off. And return to land is changed to return to device. So return to where you are. Precision landing would require additional hardware I believe

Reactions: Fiddish
Could be wrong, but from what I have read there are two components, modified arming sequence to get past the motion of the boat at lift off. And return to land is changed to return to device. So return to where you are. Precision landing would require additional hardware I believe

That seems about right.

About additional hardware, probably not required. Just aim the camera down and run the target land software that is available in the Solo Development thread. That would work well as a base to start off with.

so when you land it though how will it know where to land. I have a friend who owns a 30 foot sailboat for example with a great place to take off but for landing for landing is there a way to land it in the spot you took it off from easily because unless you own a yacht or something space can be limiting even on a 30 foot sailboat where i would take off is the bow and there are rails what would be a good place to land it also how about a paddle board?

Boat mode is not going to solve your complicated landing issue, for this IMHO you will need to be an expert pilot.

Boat mode should allow you to arm and fly from a boat, which you can't do now at all.

It should also change how RTH works so the Solo won't try to return to a place where the boat was 15 minutes ago.

Hopefully some other things too, like a hover and wait option would be great!

Reactions: Matt Whitmus
so when you land it though how will it know where to land. I have a friend who owns a 30 foot sailboat for example with a great place to take off but for landing for landing is there a way to land it in the spot you took it off from easily because unless you own a yacht or something space can be limiting even on a 30 foot sailboat where i would take off is the bow and there are rails what would be a good place to land it also how about a paddle board?

I have seen a cruiser that uses his dingy as landing pad by rolling out a semi-rigid pad over the dingy bow.

I will launch mine off bow of big boat, but will still manually fly and hover so someone can grab it, then shut it down (three finger kill) will be nice if they at least have a modified RTH so it tries to come to its new home. Hope to fly around on trip to Alaska this summer. hope they get the app done.

I will launch mine off bow of big boat, but will still manually fly and hover so someone can grab it, then shut it down (three finger kill) will be nice if they at least have a modified RTH so it tries to come to its new home. Hope to fly around on trip to Alaska this summer. hope they get the app done.
How big is big?

Are you approaching ship size yet? Any movement could screw up Solo's initialization calibration. That means motion or rocking.

Nice one SkyD
It makes lots of sense to catch that legs behind the camera, so that camera weight + gimbal will give tendency of Solo to dip the front down, safer than if we catch the front leg , less room too with cam and gimbal there :)
Thanks

How big is big?

Are you approaching ship size yet? Any movement could screw up Solo's initialization calibration. That means motion or rocking.
50 ft... its pretty stable, but it could still mess it up, I'm sure.

Take off will be easy. Landing on a moving and rocking boat will be tough. If you try to land on the deck, the Solo will just as likely flip. I'm afraid we will have to catch. For people serious about boat droning, I'd invest in a pair of reinforced gloves, and probably some safety glasses.

50 ft... its pretty stable, but it could still mess it up, I'm sure.
It still can drift, rock and move, not big enough to solve the need for boat mode,

I thought my 38' would be ok, but not even close. At the dock, yes, but on open water, no. Personally I couldn't feel any movement, but Solo wouldn't arm.

Reactions: Matt Whitmus
Take off will be easy. Landing on a moving and rocking boat will be tough. If you try to land on the deck, the Solo will just as likely flip. I'm afraid we will have to catch. For people serious about boat droning, I'd invest in a pair of reinforced gloves, and probably some safety glasses.
Why would Solo want to 'flip'? I'm assuming they would land manually, as they should in any unusual situation (or in my opinion, any landing).

Reactions: J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M