Boat Mode

Believe me, I know money doesn't grow on trees. (Retired) But if you're interested you can still get a Nexus 7 (2013) version for $139- $145 on Amazon- that's what I bought to use Tower.

Just trying to throw some options your way.:)

Yeah I may have to do that if this QGroundControl program does not work. I won't know till next week when I get home and can try it.
Dumb question though, if I go that route.... Is "Tower" the name of the actual app or is it a feature in Mission Planner?

Yeah I may have to do that if this QGroundControl program does not work. I won't know till next week when I get home and can try it.
Dumb question though, if I go that route.... Is "Tower" the name of the actual app or is it a feature in Mission Planner?
Tower is the name of the actual app.

Cap,

Here's a link to a thread with a Tower tutorial that will give you an idea on how it works: New Tower Tutorial | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Jerry

Cap,

Here's a link to a thread with a Tower tutorial that will give you an idea on how it works: New Tower Tutorial | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Jerry

Okay THANKS! FYI I broke down and ordered an Nexus 7 for only $94 on Amazon, new not used. I figured for less than $100 I might as well do it and make life easier on myself and be done with all these problems. I assume the 3DR app will work on that too and I can just make it a permanent part of the controller.

Okay new question, assuming I can finally make this thing fly off the boat..... I seriously doubt I'll ever have a loss of signal between the drone and the controller but if I did is there any parameter I can change so that if that happens, the drone would simply freeze and hover in its current position. I mean if it did that, I'll know it immediately and I can just turn around and go back to it, even following my wake if I lose sight of it. If it ever does this "return home and land" crap I'm screwed unless I can catch up to it fast enough and get a signal back.

Reactions: Maddog
Cap,

Not trying to be a bearer of bad news but make sure it's the (2013) or better version. The prior Nexus 7 will not work properly. If it's this one, I'd cancel your order: Amazon.com : Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 8 GB, Brown) by ASUS (2012) Tablet ASUS-1B08 : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories

JMHO, of course.

Jerry

Okay I got the correct one on the way and it should be there Monday when I get home. Hurray for me, excited to finally work out this problem. :)

Okay THANKS! FYI I broke down and ordered an Nexus 7 for only $94 on Amazon, new not used. I figured for less than $100 I might as well do it and make life easier on myself and be done with all these problems. I assume the 3DR app will work on that too and I can just make it a permanent part of the controller.
Yes the Solo app will work- for Android only, you also need an app called "3DR services". It's free.

Did you guys ever see the video I made when I managed to get the thing to fly inshore? Here is a link below. Future videos if I can make this thing work offshore will include mermaids wearing dental floss, so you are all encouraged to stick with me and work this out. Ha ha.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did you guys ever see the video I made when I managed to get the thing to fly inshore? Here is a link below. Future videos if I can make this thing work offshore will include mermaids wearing dental floss, so you are all encouraged to stick with me and work this out. Ha ha.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
AWESOME video Cap! Nice editing, loved the music! What was that? Sounds familiar but I can't place it.

I'm in for mermaids:D

is there any parameter I can change so ... the drone would simply freeze and hover in its current position. I mean if it did that, I'll know it immediately and I can just turn around and go back to it, even following my wake if I lose sight of it. If it ever does this "return home and land" crap I'm screwed unless I can catch up to it fast enough and get a signal back.

Set FS_GCS_ENABLE to 0.

Experiment with this on ground in open area, etc. Just start up in a field. Have it follow you a bit and then switch off the controller. It should just go into loiter and stay put. If you turn the controller back on it should eventually re-acqquire a connection, but maybe not as fast as if the controller had never been powered down.

Copter Parameters | Copter

Last edited:
Set FS_GCS_ENABLE to 0.

Experiment with this on ground in open area, etc. Just start up in a field. Have it follow you a bit and then switch off the controller. It should just go into loiter and stay put. If you turn the controller back on it should eventually re-acqquire a connection, but maybe not as fast as if the controller had never been powered down.

I suppose that instead of turning off the controller, you could try unscrewing the antennas, then screw them back on to re-acquire. That might simulate the loss of signal experience better than turning the controller off and then on again.
Shouldn't ever run controller without antennas connected. I have tested features for years by turning off the controller, including Solo, and it works well.

Shouldn't ever run controller without antennas connected. I have tested features for years by turning off the controller, including Solo, and it works well.
Ok. I'll edit that out. But why not? Surely it would do no damage. I wouldn't know as it's never occurred to me to try. You can just flip a turnigy off and on, but the Solo remote is a bit different with its companion computer, boot up time, Sololink wifi, etc.

Set FS_GCS_ENABLE to 0.

Hmmmmm. That kinda scares me but okay. I'll try it but I'm gonna have leash on the thing. :)

Hmmmmm. That kinda scares me but okay. I'll try it but I'm gonna have leash on the thing. :)
Set FS_GCS_ENABLE to 0.

Oh I know, I'll just tie off a leg to one of my fishing rods and loosen the drag. If it tries to go into orbit or anything I can just reel it back in, fight it like a fish till the controller comes back on. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado