Boat Mode

Reaction score
In researching some discussions and various blogs I was directed to an old discussion here, I'm new to the group btw, regarding problems getting the solo to initialize when "on a boat". Filming offshore was the whole reason my wife got me a drone in the first place, had no idea the solo would be so hard to initialize when on a rocking boat vs the Phantom, which I've had friends use on the boat numerous times with no problems at all. Anyways in the old discussion I found from back in the summer, there seemed to be some research into creating a "Boat Mode" that would possibly be a work-around and make the thing initialize better if not completely still etc. Does anyone have any recent info on this topic or suggestions for me? I fear I'm just going to have to buy a different drone and be done with it, which I hate b/c the flight features on this thing are so nice, and I can fly and run the boat at the same time all by myself.

Reactions: Courtland
I've posted on here about this before, so do a search.

It's coming in Arducopter 3.4. Arducopter Solo and Arducopter are being merged at the moment.

Check out throw mode which you'll get when the merge is done too which will work from ground or a boat.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think you'll likely be waiting 6 months as it'll take months to merge Solo Arducopter and test it I would expect.

Reactions: J R

It's coming in Arducopter 3.4. Arducopter Solo and Arducopter are being merged at the moment.

Check out throw mode which you'll get when the merge is done too which will work from ground or a boat.

I think you'll likely be waiting 6 months as it'll take months to merge Solo Arducopter and test it I would expect.

So are you saying it's a mod or new feature that I'll have with my current drone or that's a new model drone entirely? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to this whole thing.

It's a software update.

There's 2 versions of the software, Arducopter (that works on any Pixhawk) and Arducopter Solo which only works on the Solo.

To keep the Solo launch secret 3DR made Arducopter Solo, now they're working on putting it into the normal Arducopter (merging) which is where most new features end up. Basically in the end Solo owners and Pixhawk owners will all be running the same software, likely by the time 3.4 is out.

Boat mode is already being tested by people on their own Pixhawk rigs at the moment.

That would work but I don't even need to throw it, I've got a 30 ft boat and tons of room on either end to launch the thing, it's just a matter of getting it to "let me" when it's trying to initialize. The sensor do NOT like the rocking of the boat, not even the slightest bit in calm conditions. My only luck so far has been launching it in our bay/lagoon area when the water is pretty much glass.

It's a software update.

There's 2 versions of the software, Arducopter (that works on any Pixhawk) and Arducopter Solo which only works on the Solo.

To keep the Solo launch secret 3DR made Arducopter Solo, now they're working on putting it into the normal Arducopter (merging) which is where most new features end up. Basically in the end Solo owners and Pixhawk owners will all be running the same software, likely by the time 3.4 is out.

Boat mode is already being tested by people on their own Pixhawk rigs at the moment.

Okay cool. Good info. I guess I just need to be patient and wait for the software upgrade.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Oh and before somebody suggests I launch it from land and just have it follow me on the boat... Well that's not an option. They don't make a battery that would last 50 miles, where I need the thing. Lol.

That would work but I don't even need to throw it, I've got a 30 ft boat and tons of room on either end to launch the thing, it's just a matter of getting it to "let me" when it's trying to initialize.
Throw mode is something different but it's an interesting option where space might be limited. Hopefully both will come out at the same time.

In researching some discussions and various blogs I was directed to an old discussion here, I'm new to the group btw, regarding problems getting the solo to initialize when "on a boat". Filming offshore was the whole reason my wife got me a drone in the first place, had no idea the solo would be so hard to initialize when on a rocking boat vs the Phantom, which I've had friends use on the boat numerous times with no problems at all. Anyways in the old discussion I found from back in the summer, there seemed to be some research into creating a "Boat Mode" that would possibly be a work-around and make the thing initialize better if not completely still etc. Does anyone have any recent info on this topic or suggestions for me? I fear I'm just going to have to buy a different drone and be done with it, which I hate b/c the flight features on this thing are so nice, and I can fly and run the boat at the same time all by myself.
OK, I had an idea for this for awhile and finally decided to test it. There is a parameter accessible in Tower called ' Arming Check ' This can disable the pre-arm checks that are used before arming. As you will see below, just certain sensors can be disabled or all of them. I simply disabled them since this is just for the pre-arm check not disabled during flight. I was able to simulate being on a boat and able to arm and take off in manual mode. By using Tower during flight, you can also use the RTH option of 'Return To Me' instead of the usual RTH. This would get the Solo back over head if needed if the boat has changed positions during flight.

This should be of use to the 'Boat People' as well as other situations when you need to arm on an less than level surface. This also disables the Compass check, which I believe is how 3DR took off from the hood of that pickup in one of their latest videos. As is the rule for anytime you modify parameters, extreme caution is needed that you know what you are modifying, and could result in voiding the warranty if the changed parameter contributed to a crash. It would also be prudent to pre-fly the Solo before getting on the boat to be sure everything else is working as it should. But if I were on a boat, I would have no problem giving it a try. YMMV..

Arming check (ArduCopter:ARMING_CHECK)
Allows enabling or disabling of pre-arming checks of receiver, accelerometer, barometer, compass and GPS

• VALUE MEANING
    0 Disabled
    1 Enabled
    -3 Skip Baro
    -5 Skip Compass
    -9 Skip GPS
    -17 Skip INS
    -33 Skip Params/Sonar
    -65 Skip RC
    127 Skip Voltage

@Captain J.D. , let us know if this works for you.

Last edited:
OK, I had an idea for this for awhile and finally decided to test it. There is a parameter accessible in Tower called ' Arming Check ' This can disable the pre-arm checks that are used before arming. As you will see below, just certain sensors can be disabled or all of them. I simply disabled them since this is just for the pre-arm check not disabled during flight. I was able to simulate being on a boat and able to arm and take off in manual mode. By using Tower during flight, you can also use the RTH option of 'Return To Me' instead of the usual RTH. This would get the Solo back over head if needed if the boat has changed positions during flight.

This should be of use to the 'Boat People' as well as other situations when you need to arm on an less than level surface. This also disables the Compass check, which I believe is how 3DR took off from the hood of that pickup in one of their latest videos. As is the rule for anytime you modify parameters, extreme caution is needed that you know what you are modifying, and could result in voiding the warranty if the changed parameter contributed to a crash. It would also be prudent to pre-fly the Solo before getting on the boat to be sure everything else is working as it should. But if I were on a boat, I would have no problem giving it a try. YMMV..

Arming check (ArduCopter:ARMING_CHECK)
Allows enabling or disabling of pre-arming checks of receiver, accelerometer, barometer, compass and GPS

• VALUE MEANING
    0 Disabled
    1 Enabled
    -3 Skip Baro
    -5 Skip Compass
    -9 Skip GPS
    -17 Skip INS
    -33 Skip Params/Sonar
    -65 Skip RC
    127 Skip Voltage

@Captain J.D. , let us know if this works for you.
I can confirm this works.

BUT make sure the boat is NOT moving at all. It can be rocking, but if the boat is underway, even at slow speed, the Solo can shoot off in an unexpected direction, or even flip. Basically it's trying to keep itself in the same position using GPS, but the boat is moving under it.

The other trick that doesn't work on the Solo is to Arm on firm ground. Then connect a laptop to USB. Then get on the boat keeping everything connected. When your ready, put in a fresh battery and then you can disconnect the laptop and take off. Every time you want to land and swap batteries, just plug in the laptop again before you swap the batteries. Basically you arm on land and just keep power going to the pixhawk using the laptop while you swap batteries so you never need to arm again. This would work on the Solo, but there is no exposed USB port.

I can confirm this works.

BUT make sure the boat is NOT moving at all. It can be rocking, but if the boat is underway, even at slow speed, the Solo can shoot off in an unexpected direction, or even flip. Basically it's trying to keep itself in the same position using GPS, but the boat is moving under it.

The other trick that doesn't work on the Solo is to Arm on firm ground. Then connect a laptop to USB. Then get on the boat keeping everything connected. When your ready, put in a fresh battery and then you can disconnect the laptop and take off. Every time you want to land and swap batteries, just plug in the laptop again before you swap the batteries. Basically you arm on land and just keep power going to the pixhawk using the laptop while you swap batteries so you never need to arm again. This would work on the Solo, but there is no exposed USB port.
That's why I emphasized manual mode for take off and landing. GPS isn't being used. That way if the boat is drifting or moving some, Solo doesn't know it and the RTM feature updates position every few seconds. When you select the RTM feature before take off, Tower will announce 'New Home Point Received' every few seconds while flying if you are moving/walking, etc..

Reactions: erikgraham
It's worth adding, if the Solo takes a plunge into the water having disabled any prearm checks, it's almost certain the warranty wouldn't be covered, I know this has already been all but said, but it's worth repeating.

Reactions: Jubalr
It's worth adding, if the Solo takes a plunge into the water having disabled any prearm checks, it's almost certain the warranty wouldn't be covered, I know this has already been all but said, but it's worth repeating.
Absolutely, same as over land. I also recommend saving your current parameter file before changes are made.

That would work but I don't even need to throw it, I've got a 30 ft boat and tons of room on either end to launch the thing, it's just a matter of getting it to "let me" when it's trying to initialize. The sensor do NOT like the rocking of the boat, not even the slightest bit in calm conditions. My only luck so far has been launching it in our bay/lagoon area when the water is pretty much glass.
Welcome to the forum Captain!

Maybe somebody will develop a gyro-stabilized take-off platform for boat use! Sounds like a great idea.

Do you think boat owners would buy such a thing Cap'n?

Maybe somebody will develop a gyro-stabilized take-off platform for boat use! Sounds like a great idea.

That would be cool, but boat mode is definetly coming. So no need.

Reactions: Courtland
That's why I emphasized manual mode for take off and landing. GPS isn't being used. That way if the boat is drifting or moving some, Solo doesn't know it and the RTM feature updates position every few seconds. When you select the RTM feature before take off, Tower will announce 'New Home Point Received' every few seconds while flying if you are moving/walking, etc..
Yeah. I got you. I was just confirming that your method works, having done it (well not the RTM feature). Unfortunately I have taken off in loiter (Fly) on a boat and had a near miss to my face. Oops.

Yeah. I got you. I was just confirming that your method works, having done it (well not the RTM feature). Unfortunately I have taken off in loiter (Fly) on a boat and had a near miss to my face. Oops.
Damn! That's scary to even think about.

Hell yes. Matter of fact I've been kicking around some ideas on how to make one myself, strictly mechanical, not much luck on anything I think would really work though.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44