Best Buy Price Drop

Not sure what you mean by "tied"? More options perhaps but works fine with our GP 4s as well as 3s.
I think he means Solo is useless without a GP 3 or 4. They are getting scarce because the 4 is no longer made in favor of the 5.

Reactions: SARDG
i purchased 3 on black friday!!!
i thought they would sell out, so i bought 1 online and the other at the store.
then i found out about the difference between the old and new one. I opened them both up and saw that the one that was purchased online had the old GPS chip. i returned it. the store bought one had problem with the gopro hero 3 so that got replaced and that one had the old gps chip so that went back.
long story short it is a crap shoot on whether you get an old or new one at bestbuy

It'd be interesting to see a in-depth study about the difference between Rev A and B units. 3 of mine came with Rev A, one with B.
The main difference that I've noticed is the original A models take longer to aquire satellites and lock the first time you bit things up. This times is reduced greatly of course in subsequent flight. It was actually pretty rare to get more than 10 satellites with Rev A.
Rev B had a slightly quicker cold start, faster subsequent lock ons, abdominal find bring in 12 satellites fairly reliably.
The MRobotics M8N unit completely changed the ball game. I've installed 2, and they're new birds entirely. After the initial cold startups, I get lock in under 15 seconds with at least 15 satellites and most likely 20.
Furthermore, hovers are steadier, MPCC routes more expensive accurate, and return to home accuracy is now amazing.
If seems to me the biggest advantage of the new unit is simply that it gives a very real feel of confidence. This translates directly into more competent flying - and I'll bet the infamous flyaways will soon become a thing of the past, since it was usually user-caused anyhow and will be far less frequent with competent and confident pilots.

Everyone is buying extra Solo' for parts, etc. so they can fly Solo long into the future. (Myself included)

But what about GoPro's? If your GoPro breaks for any reason, how hard will it be to replace a 3 or 4?

A Solo without a GoPro is like a day without...well, you know.

I had a great Rev A GPS. I found it got lock just as fast as my Rev B, saw 10-12 sats on the ground, and even got 5 or so indoors near the window, almost all identical to my Rev B. It seemed to lose sats when I would stand over it to pick up but the Rev B wasn't much better. This is both with stock copper shielding. I tried the proper shield and found it really wasn't much different either in my tests. Now, I have the mRo and I got 9 sats indoors last night and a pretty good lock.

I would say if you have a Rev A and get GPS within 90 seconds the first time out that day and within 50-60 each flight shortly after, it should be just fine and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

If I was in the US, I'd be tempted but the Solo is selling for the full price here in AUS $999 to $1399. My Problem is with support - since the Solo is being discontinued, how good will support be?

quotes from 3DR Support online:
" to be honest, we stopped manufacturing the Solo because we have enough and the Solo includes a 1-year warranty for malfunctions"
"As I mentioned we stopped manufacturing the Solo but we still are supporting our drones and will do so for the foreseeable future"

it certainly looks like a great drone for my needs but it's too much of a risk at the full price.

If I was in the US, I'd be tempted but the Solo is selling for the full price here in AUS $999 to $1399. My Problem is with support - since the Solo is being discontinued, how good will support be?

quotes from 3DR Support online:
" to be honest, we stopped manufacturing the Solo because we have enough and the Solo includes a 1-year warranty for malfunctions"
"As I mentioned we stopped manufacturing the Solo but we still are supporting our drones and will do so for the foreseeable future"

it certainly looks like a great drone for my needs but it's too much of a risk at the full price.
I'd hardly consider it a risk at all.
You're getting the best video drone on the market for $300, support is still being offered, and like many of us a spare done is a source of spare parts. That's 3 Solos for the price of 1 DJI Mavic, and chances are the Solo will still be flying high with aftermarket accessories and software - just take a look at Solex - for years to come, whereas virtually any other drone will be obsolete in roughly a year because of the actions of their own company (Phantom, Phantom 2, 3, 4, Mavic). It'll be an endless process of selling the old to get the new.
Solo is open-sourced, and most base code had been released (code for the gimbal is hopefully coming soon). This makes possible a nearly unbelievable range of options for future flying.
Anything else is a you get only what you bought affair - it does what it does and nothing more. Horrible customer service that's unlikely to every improve. Then there's the fact that DJI has a tendency to ground its drones whenever they like.
Finally, as an early buyer at $1000 for Solo, $400 for gimbal, $150 per spare battery... well...
In honesty the whole danged thing seems way too good to be true - and people are actually complaining about it or finding reasons not to buy.
I can't figure it out.

Everyone is buying extra Solo' for parts, etc. so they can fly Solo long into the future. (Myself included)

But what about GoPro's? If your GoPro breaks for any reason, how hard will it be to replace a 3 or 4?

A Solo without a GoPro is like a day without...well, you know.
I have wondered that myself. But, I figure as long as there is Ebay, and Craigslist, we should be ok for quite awhile. Since a lot of the GoPro 3's and 4's are being used for purposes other than aerial applications, I think the people going for the GoPro 5's and beyond will want to sell their old ones. That is where we come in.....I hope.:)

Reactions: Maddog
I've got 3-GPH3+B and 3-GPH4B, one with 3.97mm. Hope they last through 4 Solos and 5 gimbals. Probably outlast me...

OK, so yesterday, I decided to take a quick flight after the snow stopped to get some video of the scenery. On the way back, I noticed the Solo descending rapidly (no, my finger wasn't holding down the left stick). Needless to say, it is in the woods somewhere. I was able to walk towards it and get the signal again and could see some trees because the camera was pointed toward the sky.

I also went into map view and could get an idea of where it was. I spent an hour hiking through the woods (saw a lot of interesting paw prints in the snow) but couldn't find my quad. I've lost a lot more expensive gear to the woods but I would still like to recover my Solo and GPH3+.

Can anyone tell me how to get the exact coordinates from my phone or the remote, so I can get it before it starts to rain/snow? Thanks for the help.

Update: I was able to get the log files from the RC to my computer. Can someone please tell me how to get the last coordinates from the logs? Also, is there any video cached on the RC?

I was able to read the flight log and it told me exactly where the Solo is (at least I will know for sure in the morning).

Here is a video on how to get the log from your RC:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is info on how to read the logs:

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-logs.html

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-mission-planning.html

It took less than 15 minutes for me to do it once I had the info. I hope someone else can use this information (but I hope it doesn't happen to you in the first place).

Reactions: jibcamera
I've got 3-GPH3+B and 3-GPH4B, one with 3.97mm. Hope they last through 4 Solos and 5 gimbals. Probably outlast me...
Dang girl- you find some treasure ship you never told anybody about?
If I had your money I'd burn mine..:eek:

Update: I was able to get the log files from the RC to my computer. Can someone please tell me how to get the last coordinates from the logs? Also, is there any video cached on the RC?
No, no video cached on Solo. Only on the GoPro and your mobile device if you told Solo app to record there.

Don't know what could have happened. If you can post the logs here one of the smart peoples may be able to tell us something.

I was able to read the flight log and it told me exactly where the Solo is (at least I will know for sure in the morning).

Here is a video on how to get the log from your RC:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is info on how to read the logs:

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-logs.html

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-mission-planning.html

It took less than 15 minutes for me to do it once I had the info. I hope someone else can use this information (but I hope it doesn't happen to you in the first place).
I hope you are successful in locating your Solo. If you are, you should maybe look into a tracker for your Solo. That way you will at least have a fighting chance of locating it. A lot of us on here use the Marco Polo tracker (including myself). You can see them here: eurekaproducts.com Good luck to you.

Dang girl- you find some treasure ship you never told anybody about?
If I had your money I'd burn mine..:eek:
She works hard for the money
So hard for it, honey
She works hard for the money
So you better treat her right...
:p

...but I know some on here have at least 5 Solos; and if you want cinema served with that Solo, ya' gotta' have GPs. Plus, I use GPs on other toys.

Back on topic... I have the Marco Polo tracker as well, but so far haven't had to use it. And I don't think it works underwater so well. :D

Reactions: Maddog and Chuck
Let's hope you never have to use it. So far, the only time I have used it was in the field test I did, which just confirmed my choice in buying it in the first place. Now all I have to do is buy the second tag for Solo #2.

Not sure what you mean by "tied"? More options perhaps but works fine with our GP 4s as well as 3s.

What I mean is, 3DR and GoPro went separate ways. The Hero 4 is the last GoPro camera that will work directly with Solo and Solo gimbal. The GoPro 5 is not compatible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44