Best Buy has Samsung Galaxy Tab A for 89.99

Reaction score
I bought one of these yesterday to replace my Nexus 7 2013 tablet. They are on sale for 89.99. This is the Tab A 7.0 or 7 inch.The Solo app and The Solex app loaded with no problems. I was able to bring them up and configure the apps. Haven't flown with it yet. The Tab A has a brightness setting for outdoors. It's a manual setting not automatic. I hoping it will be better than the Nexus outdoors. When the Wx calms down I'll go out and try it.

Last edited:
Ugh... 8 Gb! Okay I suppose if you only use for Solo basic apps. Even then, my Solo-related apps are numerous.

Looking forward to Galaxy S8 phablet in February... 256 Gb, 6 Gb ROM, 8 core.

I thought the same. You can add up to a 200gb micro sd card.
I added a 32gb to mine.

I thought the same. You can add up to a 200gb micro sd card.
I added a 32gb to mine.
Samsung has chosen to NOT let their particular OS flavor address the SD card as actual system memory so for all intents and purposes, the SD card is for music and pic storage - not for storing and running apps. The Android OS allows addressing the SD card as "real' memory after Version 5.0 I believe, but it's up to each phone manufacturer.

It's not known if the S8 will even have an SD slot, but 256 Gb is sufficient for most users. I run 163 apps on my devices. Installing the apps with no pics and no music takes a little over 16Gb (including the useless Samsung bloatware). I would install more apps, but my biggest device is only 32 Gb (+ my 128 Gb SD) which goes largely unused as most storage is on a cloud.

All I'm looking for is happy times with my Solo. If it works on the solo app or the Solex app. I'll be very happy. 89.00 dollars would be worth it to me if it works as good or better than my Nexus 7. I'm not really concerned about all the specs. Good or bad. It works well for email, YouTube and web surfing so far. It will even run Kodi.
Besides, I had to buy something on Black Friday sales.

All I'm looking for is happy times with my Solo. If it works on the solo app or the Solex app. I'll be very happy. 89.00 dollars would be worth it to me if it works as good or better than my Nexus 7. I'm not really concerned about all the specs. Good or bad. It works well for email, YouTube and web surfing so far. It will even run Kodi.
Besides, I had to buy something on Black Friday sales.
How does the Tab A do in the sunlight and using Solex?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have a Tab A. Solex (and Tower) runs fine on it. Sunlight readability is ok, but sunshade would be helpful. Polarized sunglasses reduce readability of the screen a bit.
Only issue I have with the Tab A is Samsung does not allow Bluetooth tethering while using WiFi, so you need to preload maps. Good tablet for $89! I paid twice that 18 months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Tab A. Solex (and Tower) runs fine on it. Sunlight readability is ok, but sunshade would be helpful. Polarized sunglasses reduce readability of the screen a bit.
Only issue I have with the Tab A is Samsung does not allow Bluetooth tethering while using WiFi, so you need to preload maps. Good tablet for $89! I paid twice that 18 months ago.

Then maybe a tablet from Sprint...

TAB A
Cell Phones, Mobile Phones & Wireless Calling Plans from Sprint

S2
Samsung - Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" - 32GB - Wi-Fi + 4G LTE Sprint - Black

I was able to test the Tab A today running The 3DR app. It ran fine for about 2 minutes then it crashed the app. It took another minute for it to recover. There weren't any other apps open in the background. Did not test Solex on it.
I ended up using my Nexus 7 2013 instead and it runs fine on both Solex and the 3DR apps. Looks like the Tab A will be going back to BestBuy tomorrow to see if I can get a refund. To bad, since I like the tablet. I don't need two tablets for the Solo.

Last edited:

I was able to get Bluetooth tethering to work (Tab A) by turning off wifi on the Tab A, then start the Bluetooth (tether to my phone). then Turn on Wifi and connect to solo.

I was able to test the Tab A today running The 3DR app. It ran fine for about 2 minutes then it crashed the app. It took another minute for it to recover. There weren't any other apps open in the background. Did not test Solex on it.
I ended up using my Nexus 7 2013 instead and it runs fine on both Solex and the 3DR apps. Looks like the Tab A will be going back to BestBuy tomorrow to see if I can get a refund. To bad, since I like the tablet. I don't need two tablets for the Solo.
Mine crashes too if I have "save to camera roll" on. I leave it off. (all the footage is on the GoPro sd card. so I dont have a need to save to the tab as well.)

I had the S2 and it is overkill if you're just buying that for the Drone. I went to T-Mobile and bought a phone and they gave me a free watch and a some tablets E that works absolutely perfect and has a very very small like a video compared to my phone but when I was using the a2. My solo app video was like a slideshow and completely unusable maybe you guys will have a different experience but looks like my tablet is a dedicated device now. I pay $10 a month for the service of the tablet which is 4G so while I'm flying get updates maps on its own.

Mine crashes too if I have "save to camera roll" on. I leave it off. (all the footage is on the GoPro sd card. so I dont have a need to save to the tab as well.)
Thanks Quinn,
I'll check that before it goes back. Good thing about BestBuy is if you bought something in November or December you can return it clear into January.

I just checked and it was not set to "save to camera roll".

Are you using Solex or the 3DR app?

I just checked and it was not set to "save to camera roll".

Are you using Solex or the 3DR app?
I use both, but the app crash yesterday was 3dr and save to camera roll was on. Ill try with solelx later if it stops snowing.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Oh. I'll need to try this! Thanks for the info!

I'm curious of the results of this test. Reading through 3DRs bulletin regarding range issues it states to turn off Bluetooth to help eliminate interference to the wifi signal.
Please post your results here.

Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig