Benefits in waiting til (future date) to buy Solo?

Reaction score
I bought a Solo months ago and had so many issues I returned it. My Phantom2 is still operating so I'm not desperate, but with the Gimbal available & I'm sitting on the cash I'm thinking about giving it another shot. How much different will the hardware be if I wait a couple/few more months? There's so many improvements that should be made it seems that there should be a release of a Solo 2 to redeem 3DR.

Reactions: Jubz
Not sure 3DR needs redeeming, as both my Solos work very well.. I have a P3P (in the shop at the momnet) but beyond need for repair, I haven't flown it much in the past few months, as I am more excited about the Solo.

I remember much of the same type angst with the release of the P3 (mostly software and delivery not hardware)... But my P3P has a new (factory) shell, still has gimbal allignment problems, and is in for repair now because it has no live video...

In the end, it depends on your needs and expectations, and a bit I guess on your personality.

Solo is like a PC. More powerful, more flexible and more upgradeable. I can tweak it, troubleshoot it, and add to it easier. I may however need to tweak it and troubleshoot it.

Things like the P3P (the other real competition) are more like Apple. Slick and tightly integrated, but with limited flexibility and upgrade capability. It is more of a black box. If it doesn't do what I want, I have less options, and if it doesn't work, I likely send it in.

Pick your poison. One thing is for sure, what ever you choose.... You will regret it ;)

Reactions: Courtland
I bought a Solo months ago and had so many issues I returned it. My Phantom2 is still operating so I'm not desperate, but with the Gimbal available & I'm sitting on the cash I'm thinking about giving it another shot. How much different will the hardware be if I wait a couple/few more months? There's so many improvements that should be made it seems that there should be a release of a Solo 2 to redeem 3DR.
I was flying my Solo yesterday evening and an interested bystanding guy asked almost the same exact question. Turned out he actually did own a Phantom 3 - likely why he wasn't afraid to come over and talk with me!
He's never flown it to his satisfaction. Told me something just didn't seem right, just too skittery, etc.. In short, he was suggesting that it didn't feel solid.
At that moment I was about 200 feet up. He'd heard things about Solo and hit me with the standard questions. This guy could be a winner - smart and was willing to learn! I had my iPad in my nearby car.. usually I fly with my iPhone. Thought he might like to see our forum, get an idea of what's really up.
So it hit pause and parked.
Right square up there, just parked.
That, right there, created another Solo owner when I turned and got out my iPad.
I seriously doubt there will be hardware upgrades or a "Solo 2" in the forseeable future. The Solo is meant to be future-proof - something you don't have to replace the very season when the new, improved model arrives. Sure, there will physical improvements hardware-wise, but my best guess is that they'll go largely unannounced but simply incorporated into current production.
Software is an entirely different story!
Our Solos are simply going to get better and better.

This is kind of like the debate between iPhones and android. In the end, everyone has an opinion. Comes down to your preference.

I don't think there are hardware changes coming in a couple of months. But there is a lot of firmware/software in progress.

Reactions: Courtland
I also returned my solo early on. The only issues I had were very slow gps and 3dr not delivering the product as advertised. It seems as though they are working through everything now. I also have a P3, and to listen to some of these people here I must have gotten the only one sold that has had no issues. Mine has been rock solid since day one. Sometimes I wish I would of had more patience before sending the solo back but patience is not a virtue that I have. I think before ordering another solo I will wait and see what all this registration stuff is all about, everything the feds get involved in ultimately gets messed up. Listen to the guys like earldgrayjr and rmmcabe and you can't go wrong. Whatever you decide, base it on your view of the info you collect, not on someone who bashes one or the other. Have fun and fly safe.

I also returned my solo early on. The only issues I had were very slow gps and 3dr not delivering the product as advertised. It seems as though they are working through everything now. I also have a P3, and to listen to some of these people here I must have gotten the only one sold that has had no issues. Mine has been rock solid since day one. Sometimes I wish I would of had more patience before sending the solo back but patience is not a virtue that I have. I think before ordering another solo I will wait and see what all this registration stuff is all about, everything the feds get involved in ultimately gets messed up. Listen to the guys like earldgrayjr and rmmcabe and you can't go wrong. Whatever you decide, base it on your view of the info you collect, not on someone who bashes one or the other. Have fun and fly safe.
I second!
Gain experience with every quad possible, it really is the only way to know what you really want in the end.
Sitting here, I'm looking at a Phantom, Phantom 3, Hubsan X4 Pro, Hi-Tec Q-Cop 450, and a Walkera Tali 500. Oh, and that stupid Walkera racing drone I got but never fly anymore.
Yes indeed, I prefer my Solo to any and all of them.

Reactions: Jubalr
Agreed either way you go more likley than not you will eventually hit a bump in the road, but it's really up to personal needs and preference now. When working both are capable machines and you'll normally get an opinion based answer thats biased as can be to these questions. Search here and the other guys forums and see which copter and community fits you better.

For me the community here alone compared to the phantom community wins me over, even though I'm having a bump with solo now I've still not even thought about flying my p2 since getting my solo gimbal. I'd rather fly solo 100% manual than p2 any day it's night and day in my eyes, but p3 is improved over mine even if it doesn't look that way from the outside. Just pick your poison and dig in, biggest point is if solo has issues you'll either get a fix here or from 3dr pretty quickly, if p3 has issues your grounded for a month or better in a best case scenario and may be shelling out money for your repairs whether there your fault or not.

Also listen to experience as mentioned Earl and McCabe as well as plenty of others here are great for any questions or concerns you have.

Agreed either way you go more likley than not you will eventually hit a bump in the road, but it's really up to personal needs and preference now. When working both are capable machines and you'll normally get an opinion based answer thats biased as can be to these questions. Search here and the other guys forums and see which copter and community fits you better.

For me the community here alone compared to the phantom community wins me over, even though I'm having a bump with solo now I've still not even thought about flying my p2 since getting my solo gimbal. I'd rather fly solo 100% manual than p2 any day it's night and day in my eyes, but p3 is improved over mine even if it doesn't look that way from the outside. Just pick your poison and dig in, biggest point is if solo has issues you'll either get a fix here or from 3dr pretty quickly, if p3 has issues your grounded for a month or better in a best case scenario and may be shelling out money for your repairs whether there your fault or not.

Also listen to experience as mentioned Earl and McCabe as well as plenty of others here are great for any questions or concerns you have.
I belong to both forums and find that there is just as much help on the other forum as here. I am sure when this forum reaches 30,000 plus members there will be just as many knot heads here as there are on the other forum.

I'm sure their is as much help there, there's also 30000 members and I'm going to assume you've seen djis track record in customer service and not mention it. In both forums here and on RCG the guys I've met discussing solo are more like me than any I've met owning a phantom for years now. I'm not talking down to the phantom site or community, hence why I said, check both and see what fits you, all I'm saying is this is the one for me. At two thousand now and the childish behavior I left RCG for isn't accepted here and the mods aren't biased their fair. So I doubt wel ever be the circus I left at RCG I'd hope phantom pilots is better, but after RCG I'm happy with the community here that I chose and have no reason to look elsewhere.

Their is a difference and I'm not the only one who's noticed it same as android vs iOS, ps4 vs Xbone and plenty others. The age and many other things are factors, but the fan bases are different. I own both in nearly all of these vs type categories and I still consider myself more like minded with the folks on one side or the other.

Most can very easily see these differences and gravitate toward one or the other and since both quads will soon be more refined and both will do the job, things like the community, features, customer service and even aesthetics played a big role in my choice.

I promise there aren't many former p3 owners flying solo now and hanging out in the phantom pilots forum, this point alone says a lot. You want to see it very clearly RCG is the best place to see 3dr threads ruined by phantom owners, most of which have never held or flown a solo and if they did it was week one and not since. Look at the versus thread there too, it's pretty much crickets on the 3dr end cause most solo owners don't care to argue these things and don't have buyers remorse to feel the need to justify their purchase. I'm not saying every phantom owner is this way, I'm a phantom owner, but a lot of the folks I've met have been like minded on both sides of this coin. I'm just saying different strokes for different folks is all.

Reactions: Marich
I'm sure their is as much help there, there's also 30000 members and I'm going to assume you've seen djis track record in customer service and not mention it. In both forums here and on RCG the guys I've met discussing solo are more like me than any I've met owning a phantom for years now. I'm not talking down to the phantom site or community, hence why I said, check both and see what fits you, all I'm saying is this is the one for me. At two thousand now and the childish behavior I left RCG for isn't accepted here and the mods aren't biased their fair. So I doubt wel ever be the circus I left at RCG I'd hope phantom pilots is better, but after RCG I'm happy with the community here that I chose and have no reason to look elsewhere.

Their is a difference and I'm not the only one who's noticed it same as android vs iOS, ps4 vs Xbone and plenty others. The age and many other things are factors, but the fan bases are different. I own both in nearly all of these vs type categories and I still consider myself more like minded with the folks on one side or the other.

Most can very easily see these differences and gravitate toward one or the other and since both quads will soon be more refined and both will do the job, things like the community, features, customer service and even aesthetics played a big role in my choice.

I promise there aren't many former p3 owners flying solo now and hanging out in the phantom pilots forum, this point alone says a lot. You want to see it very clearly RCG is the best place to see 3dr threads ruined by phantom owners, most of which have never held or flown a solo and if they did it was week one and not since. Look at the versus thread there too, it's pretty much crickets on the 3dr end cause most solo owners don't care to argue these things and don't have buyers remorse to feel the need to justify their purchase. I'm not saying every phantom owner is this way, I'm a phantom owner, but a lot of the folks I've met have been like minded on both sides of this coin. I'm just saying different strokes for different folks is all.
You missed the whole point of my statement. I don't spend any time at rcg but I do at phantom pilots and yes there are some dandys over there and there will be here too if this forum ever reaches the numbers of that one. I see way more p3 bashing here than I see solo bashing over there.(go there and search solo). I will possibly own another solo some day depends on this new registration thing and if they get there gps issues fixed, just too undependable right now. I live in an area with mountains and valleys and I don't need to keep losing gps every time I go below a tree or down into a deep valley. If they can fix that issue then I will reconsider. That is why I like to stay up to date on the solo forum, to see if they have improved yet.

You missed the whole point of my statement. I don't spend any time at rcg but I do at phantom pilots and yes there are some dandys over there and there will be here too if this forum ever reaches the numbers of that one. I see way more p3 bashing here than I see solo bashing over there.(go there and search solo). I will possibly own another solo some day depends on this new registration thing and if they get there gps issues fixed, just too undependable right now. I live in an area with mountains and valleys and I don't need to keep losing gps every time I go below a tree or down into a deep valley. If they can fix that issue then I will reconsider. That is why I like to stay up to date on the solo forum, to see if they have improved yet.
You have got to be kidding
DJI and RCG live to bash solo. It is one of the reasons I made my decision not to ever buy a DJI product

Reactions: Raybro
DJI and RCG live to bash solo. It is one of the reasons I made my decision not to ever buy a DJI product
Sad but true and anyone who hasn't seen this is either blinded by bias or just lying to their self. No problem though maybe you missed every post about the subject or maybe that bright white bird has your eyesight strained trying to keep track of it in the sky and you just don't see the posts. Joking not trying to argue, seems your the same, but just wanted to be clear.

At any rate not my experience on the forums and if it's yours maybe spend more time over at phantom pilots, if you no longer have solo, good day, cause that's what we're discussing here and I'm not going to waste time going back and forth. I'd rather use it like I usually do trying to help better solo and help folks with issues I've seen or read up on. Nice thing is folks who figure out solo isn't for them can return it and get a phantom. Most guys here own phantoms and choose to fly solo, most phantom folks don't have that option to choose so their either happy or not and if it's not their sol with no returns and hard knocks service.

Serious note though I let my little nephew fly my p2 last Sunday and he's obsessed, anyway I never realized how hard it was to see even at a couple hundred feet until flying solo now. I kept freaking out cause I'd look away and look back up at nothing in sight. I may have to plasti dip my p2 if I decide to try flying it again down the line after the new car smell wears off solo. I'm out later fellas.

Fly smart
Fly safe
Fly solo

The Solo is here to stay. Any hardware upgrades can be done in the shell. No need to introduce a new version.
Quit sitting on the fence.
My P2 still flies too but I have more confidence when in my Solo.
Never a GPS issue since getting it in June Bigskyflyer!

I love the people waiting on solo2, dead give away DJI owners. No where at anytime has 3dr ever said there will be a solo 2, in fact everything they HAVE said indicates they do not intend to take the release a new model every 6 months that is not backward compatible. they built this thing as a development platform. It will be around in its current version for a very long time

I never said dji forum I said phantom pilots(sister to this forum), go do a little search before sticking your foot in your mouth any further.

The Solo is here to stay. Any hardware upgrades can be done in the shell. No need to introduce a new version.
Quit sitting on the fence.
My P2 still flies too but I have more confidence when in my Solo.
Never a GPS issue since getting it in June Bigskyflyer!
Raybro, I don't know what the problem was, it always took 6-8 minutes to lock and then lost GPS very easily. Maybe just the terrain I fly in, high mountains and deep valleys. Not much flat open country here.

Exactly.
A Solo enthusiast visiting that forum will be best served by keeping his head down and taking cover.
It's not really that much different than being a Republican in San Francisco.

Reactions: Jubalr

Exactly. Over promised, under delivered. Returned mine was weeks after purchasing it. I will buy it again once they can deliver what they said it can do. Plus we pay a high price in Australia so I couldn't justify they $3k I spent for a drone that was too buggy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig