Badass bird....

Reaction score
What I get for trying to get a nooner in.... 100% my fault, start-up on an incline of greater that 10 degrees.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems that at frame 7, the bird was starting to go out of control. Frame 8, your were under that tree & kept the same direction & unfortunately was pointing where it hit.
I read about the inclined takeoff, but Check your logs anyway.

My Bird would had lost GPS at the point of Frame 8.
I have noticed, that when my Solo loses GPS "Not very often", it keeps the same path direction & pitch before the lost of GPS, till user intervention "manual mode" Or a crash.

Hearing that GoPro popping out & taking that tumble over cement, well, it's ugly feeling like, finger nails going across a black board!

Last edited:
My bird is a solid flyer once I did the cardboard mod, truly never a problem that I didn't create. As soon as I took off I could see there was a problem, it was drifting forward rather than just going straight up. I tried pulling back, but it over compensated so I dropped the sticks and was expecting hover...as always. The bird was going to crash no matter what I was going to do at that point. It just dove straight in.

I think the tell-tale sign was the camera was pointed at the point of impact rather than level. And before @Jubalr says I should have switched to manual, I couldn't even think that quick to react...it was a done deal. Live and learn, rookie mistake...;)

The leading bottom edge of the GP is scuffed pretty hard as is the gimbal GP frame. The front two arms are deeply abraded by the impact. Badge of honor!?!

I was expecting worse and may still have hidden damage, but man this bird is really tough. Just couldn't believe the gimbal and frame weren't broken after what I saw.

My bird is a solid flyer once I did the cardboard mod, truly never a problem that I didn't create. As soon as I took off I could see there was a problem, it was drifting forward rather than just going straight up. I tried pulling back, but it over compensated so I dropped the sticks and was expecting hover...as always. The bird was going to crash no matter what I was going to do at that point. It just dove straight in.

I think the tell-tale sign was the camera was pointed at the point of impact rather than level. And before @Jubalr says I should have switched to manual, I couldn't even think that quick to react...it was a done deal. Live and learn, rookie mistake...;)

The leading bottom edge of the GP is scuffed pretty hard as is the gimbal GP frame. The front two arms are deeply abraded by the impact. Badge of honor!?!

I was expecting worse and may still have hidden damage, but man this bird is really tough. Just couldn't believe the gimbal and frame weren't broken after what I saw.
Well deigned frame & the GoPro can also take a licking. But the Gimbal isn't as crash proof as the rest of the bird.
Let us know if you need any parts, it's the least we can do for somebody who has contributed as much as you did to this site.

Last edited:
Never considered Solo as having a warranty after 30 days of ownership, a year later and I've never needed it... I'm well prepared for such an event, thank you 3DR, but thanks for the thought Reno.

It appears the two front isolators popped off the top plate and that was it. Reinstalled everything and good to go. Just need a test flight from level ground to confirm....

Won't look at the log files until later. I think the interpretation would be a magnetic and level error. Perfectly bad scenarios of wire in concrete, truck within 3' and on an incline during startup. I knew better, but was anxious to get a flight in, beautiful day. I even got under a minute lock time for GPS.

Funny, I wear a Timex...takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Is Solo the Timex of Drones?

To follow up, my initial attempted test flight failed as the GPS wouldn't lock because of high HDOP of 2.9 & 11sats. As a precaution, disassembled the GPS from the battery tray and did an inspection. Everything appeared fine, so reassembled and went for another attempt. Success, everything was like nothing had happened. I got a HDOP of 1.6 with the 11 sats. Camera, gimbal and quality of video appears as prior to the crash. Real happy the camera survived without any issues.

I had performed a complete calibration of the bird, for level and compass, prior to testing. Obviously time will tell if in fact the bird is whole and without further issues. But as it is today, it's 99.9% gtg.

I can't imagine any complete platform on the market other than Solo surviving a crash like was shown in the video. We've heard stories of its ability to survive a crash, but seeing it first hand and now flying it has me further amazed by its robust design. Again, thank you 3DR & GoPro.

#IFLY3DR

Follow up 2, bearings on motor #1 are toasted, squealing like a banshee. Just replaced the motor, back to smooth as butter. Thanks @Solo Keith

Bearings arrive next week. Building out another set of t-motors. I love this bird....$30 crash repair and an hour of work fun.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Whoops, let me clarify the $30 repair. That will be the cost of the bearings and other items needed to change out the bearings when they are received. I had an extra motor and swapped the bad one out while waiting on the parts...just a quick fix.

To answer your question, they are T-motor 800kv and the lump sum for the motor assembly is around $65 each excluding labor. The initial pod conversion took about 1 hour per a pod, a lot of prep work needed. This replacement took all of 15 minutes. I imagine the bearing maintenance will take a similar amount of time now.

Keep in mind the stock pod was around $60 to replace. I choose to upgrade my motors and props when I developed bearing issues with the stock pods. So the above replacement is not a turn-key cost, basically it is around $125 just for material. Labor for soldering is about $60 an hour, then you have to test to insure everything is properly wired.

There are a couple of threads on the subject of motors and bearings, I encourage you to seek those out. But if people would properly maintain the stock motors, there would be no need for any replacement like I did. Proven time and time again....

RichWest, those houses look like houses around my neighborhood. You're in Houston?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it's time for my motors to go, I will probably replace them with T-motors. I'll probably will need to ask for your guide. I'm in SouthEast. Friendswood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure I'll give you some guidance, just let me know. fwiw, replace the bearings now, and then you'll have a longer delay in replacing the motors. And oil is your friend, tri-flow is recommended here...

Avid RC, in Houston, mail order's bearings. Just as good as Boca at a 1/4th the cost.
Also, League City has a really good RC shop, Samano's I believe. More into planes, but can help with soldering or hook you up with people in your area that can. They told me about Avid...wish they were closer into town, very knowledgeable people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl