As Close to an Epic Failure Product Launch as I have ever seen. My Opinion!

Reaction score
So not only does the Hero 3+ Silver not work nor does the Hero 4 Black because I just went and purchased one. $550.00 more than I planned on spending, I put it on the gimbal and got pretty much the same screen. But I could see very nice improvement in the picture quality , the resolution as it came through my Iphone 6+ was noticeable, over the prior version.

BUT and this is big.... I could not EVEN see the red button to start the video like the pre gimbal system. There is no ability on the app to get the camera to turn on. Really? The gimbal body in fact blocks the shutter button at the top of the camera, so they say to turn it on manually.... HOW?

This is nothing like was presented. Listen to what the Go Pro Rep says in the first 4 mins of this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

None of these claims as I can see them works , for the Hero Silver 3+ or Hero 4. You can not "EVEN" turn on the Solo controller and have it control the camera.... Now I know there are going to be people that say... give them a break... but reality is I believed that if I got the HERO 4 Black all issues were resolved and I would get full functioning, as is stated in the video i posted above.... that is not what happened. If others are thinking the Gimbal issues are resolved think again.

Were I the CEO, I would have never shipped this ... they are still not on top of this problem...

Whats UP's... This is far worse in my opinion that the delay!

Reactions: Axidrain
Solo app> Settings> Save videos to camera roll and or automatically save to camera roll

One or the other will put the red button back...

Sorry tequila may impair this response

The updates defaults to off. Bummer but you need to reset the settings. No big deal once you know

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Ensure that you are on the latest FW and RTFM before you call something an "epic failure "
Everything should work fine except the remote change of the Gopro settings which has been announced for a later software release.

+1

All works great with my Hero4 Black and Gimbal. Galaxy Tab S 8.4 has a big ole record button that starts the Hero recording to it's card.

As well as using these awesome forums, if issues, you also might want to contact 3DR support as well. They do answer back! Geeee that sure is a change from other manufacturers!!!

Reactions: Adimuzio513
So not only does the Hero 3+ Silver not work nor does the Hero 4 Black because I just went and purchased one. $550.00 more than I planned on spending, I put it on the gimbal and got pretty much the same screen. But I could see very nice improvement in the picture quality , the resolution as it came through my Iphone 6+ was noticeable, over the prior version.

BUT and this is big.... I could not EVEN see the red button to start the video like the pre gimbal system. There is no ability on the app to get the camera to turn on. Really? The gimbal body in fact blocks the shutter button at the top of the camera, so they say to turn it on manually.... HOW?

This is nothing like was presented. Listen to what the Go Pro Rep says in the first 4 mins of this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

None of these claims as I can see them works , for the Hero Silver 3+ or Hero 4. You can not "EVEN" turn on the Solo controller and have it control the camera.... Now I know there are going to be people that say... give them a break... but reality is I believed that if I got the HERO 4 Black all issues were resolved and I would get full functioning, as is stated in the video i posted above.... that is not what happened. If others are thinking the Gimbal issues are resolved think again.

Were I the CEO, I would have never shipped this ... they are still not on top of this problem...

Whats UP's... This is far worse in my opinion that the delay!
I thought you had to push in on one of the two buttons at the top right or left of the controller. I don't have the gimbal yet so I'm not sure. Also, I think you are supposed to use these two buttons to control the gimbal.

I have contacted 3DR, did that at the point of disappointment, they told me it did not work. There are no camera control currently. If someone has a different result please post a picture of your apps read out so I can show it to 3DR. I have learned more about this system on this board than from 3DR.

To address the Gentleman that said that I need to make sure to have the latest software/ firmware. Done that. In fact all items are brand new and the APP did not prompt a software update like it did when I tried to get it to work Hero3+ Silver to work. The screens are the same. No Button to access the camera to start a video.

Watch the VIDEO I posted in the comment above, that is where I placed my reliance not in someone telling me that there was another update coming after purchase. You would have to be deaf not to hear the spokesperson say it is all working, or will be at the first update. THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED, in my view. The update was done and it does not seem to be working, still. How about the claim?

I really believed that if I got the Hero 4 Black the system would work just as the spokes man says in the video. I believe the problem with the app was specific only to the Hero 3+ Silver. Take note of the time and location of the event and factor in there was lots of time to get any tiny bugs worked out. How did "SOLO" come to have all of these qualities just to lose then now... does not make sense?

We waited for the Gimbal, so all the issues were worked out... is that not correct? Months past when it was supposed to be available It seems the reality could be that we waited why 3dr tried to meet the claims of its attributes, and the target was grossly missed, but they felt like they had to get something to the market. Tell me where I am wrong... I am very open to being wrong. I want to see a functioning APP picture. Something with a screen that allow me to turn the camera on and off, contol the camera functions and still images. Is that not what is stated to be possible in the video?

Simple fact I have the Solo with the gimbal and I am not getting anything close to the desired or stated manufacture claim.

I can not get it to work... please share if you have different results.

I thought you click in on the tilt paddle to start and stop video???

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

This is often the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge of technology. There will be problems, and you will pay more than people who buy the same product a year from now. It is not unique to 3DR. This is the price almost every early adopter of a new technology pays.

That being said, it is still a pretty lame excuse for releasing a half baked product, in my opinion. I am just as frustrated as everyone else that doesn't have a gimbal yet. Not seeing all the cool features that were being shown back in May that inspired me to order my Solo such as the flight trainer in the app, and camera roll on Android when I received it was a major let down. 3DR at least has been making improvements at a decent pace.

At the end of the day, I just have to count myself lucky that I didn't get a Solo with GPS, or any other issues, and that it really does fly like a charm. Hopefully soon I'll get my gimbal and be able to get some usable video from it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
If you are that discontent with your Solo and the company such as 3DR why do you still own the product and operate it. Seems to me you are mad at something else and using 3DR as an escape goat to release some anger issues with something else. I was once frustrated with my Solo and found most of my problems were operator error. The other problems I have been having is using inferior tablets to use a video monitor while flying. Be lucky and cheerful to have the gimbal, alot of us are still waiting and waiting. Until then I am stuck watching everyone else's videos and clammer about how awesome it is. Every day there is someone on the forum expressing how wrong the company has treated the consumer. This happens with any product when it first hits the market. I have spent a major part of my life in the military, even with 47 million dollar hardware there is always something that doesn't work right away or a feature that was promised not connected and working correctly on the first try.

We had a saying in the Navy "A bitching sailor is a happy sailor!"

Sorry for the response but these post are getting very old at reading and seeing everyday!

Reactions: ChrisZayas
Seriously read a bit and you'll quickly learn how to use your new toy. The rest of us are waiting for our gimbals and are annoyed too but I'm so tired of these same whinny threads with some bs name to get attention as the subject.

If you don't like solo sell me your fn gimbal return your solo and move on, this goes to any and everyone still complaining. I'm more than convinced I've bought the best possible quad within a couple grand of its price point. Yes there's been some issues getting here but, at least their actually fixing them and quickly I might add, unlike the competition so before long wel all have a near perfect platform for ap and much much more.

Adimuzio: Be pleased you do not have the Gimbal yet. It will not run on Apple products, it is not like they say it will be. It does not have the ability to control the camera from the App (phone screen) and when you try and start the video with the left paddle which also controls the angle of the gimbal you get a manual control error. Stabalizing a camera that will not take pictures is valueless.

These things are all known to 3DR but they are not updating their site they are still claiming that it works. Go look at the site, everyone knows better but they stay with the claims all is good.

• The gimbal also unlocks access to GoPro camera control. In addition to being able to start/stop recording by clicking the left paddle on the controller, you can now even start and stop GoPro recording straight from the app.

I posted this to find out if anyone else had it working, and if I was wrong , best I can tell there is no solution anyone else knows of. It's odd to me that people want to defend a product that does not work as promised and still charge ahead with the demand "they get one."

The Navy Comment... Love it and thank you for your service, but you say it works it should work. If you know it does not work you should say that also. A consumer spending hours trying to make it work when the Company knows it will not and they do not share it. that is not right. It show a lack of integrity.

Who buys something they know is not working.... Not a Sailor, Right? This information should act as a warning, make sure it is working before they take your money.

Adimuzio: Be pleased you do not have the Gimbal yet. It will not run on Apple products, it is not like they say it will be. It does not have the ability to control the camera from the App (phone screen) and when you try and start the video with the left paddle which also controls the angle of the gimbal you get a manual control error. Stabalizing a camera that will not take pictures is valueless.

These things are all known to 3DR but they are not updating their site they are still claiming that it works. Go look at the site, everyone knows better but they stay with the claims all is good.

• The gimbal also unlocks access to GoPro camera control. In addition to being able to start/stop recording by clicking the left paddle on the controller, you can now even start and stop GoPro recording straight from the app.

I posted this to find out if anyone else had it working, and if I was wrong , best I can tell there is no solution anyone else knows of. It's odd to me that people want to defend a product that does not work as promised and still charge ahead with the demand "they get one."

The Navy Comment... Love it and thank you for your service, but you say it works it should work. If you know it does not work you should say that also. A consumer spending hours trying to make it work when the Company knows it will not and they do not share it. that is not right. It show a lack of integrity.

Who buys something they know is not working.... Not a Sailor, Right? This information should act as a warning, make sure it is working before they take your money.
One should also research a product before investing any money into it.
That rudimentary research would allow one to know that the gimbals functionality is not complete at this point, that there will be two major updates in the near future that will bring the gimbal up to the functional level we were promised 5 months ago.
I really think you need to return all of your 3DR products and get a Blade 350QX3 or a Yuneec Q500 4K - I think your life would be filled with joy and satisfaction.

So what you're saying is that no one with an Apple product is able to start and stop video currently? Apple/Gimbal users please respond.

GoodNUFF. Foolish Me, I figured that Colin and others making the statement of benefits was enough.

Listen to the first 4 mins of the video I posted above and see it anything in it is true to the experience of today....

So what you're saying is that no one with an Apple product is able to start and stop video currently? Apple/Gimbal users please respond.

That is my experience thus far. I have not heard or seen anyone her state differently. I have a feeling there are very few of these in the field and part of the reason is that the units do not work. Some of the experts here who seem to be in the "know" say more updates on the way but clearly the Company in their promotional statements is still saying all good.... BUY now... it works...

Even the advocates are saying coming updates cure the problems, so they are not disagreeing that the problem exist. Just simple logic..

I use the video plus pics gopro option now for pics and even without the gimbal the pics are still fine with manual mode. I'm annoyed by the delays too but I also realize this is brand new and am watching them fix every single issue that pops up quickly. With all the phans out there trying to ruin solo for everybody, I can understand them not commenting on issues cause the folks I see posting would plaster any statement they make everywhere and blow it out of proportion. They're doing it still with issues that were fixed months ago with solo itself all day everyday, look at RCG.

Don't get me wrong this release has been a mess but my complaints won't change anything and there's no option I know of that's going to touch solo once they work out these gimbal issues. My solos better to me than my phantom to fly now and even while waiting for full functionality the gimbal will make it useable for all I need. Only thing missing will be the convenience of control in the air since I can get stills and stable video as soon as I recieve my gimbal. So I'm willing to wait for greatness rather than have mediocrity now. No I'm not as confident as I first was in 3dr at the moment but, I am confident in solo cause it's a great quad. It also seems to me their doing their best to fix and add updates faster than the other "proven" designs of competitors.

Just staying positive since I know mines at its home and won't be going back, there's too many pluses to solo to let the few negatives bring me down still. From what I've seen so far even though they are being quiet their working hard to eventually perfect solo as an aerial platform

Fly safe
AD

New to RC aircraft and not technical but flew solo with gimbal for first time last night.

Gimbal worked great: smooth, stable, tilted, did all "shots", controlled the GoPro via iOS app (stopped and started filming, sent feed and footage to iphone6+, and told me when sd card was full).

Flew without gimbal probably 20 flights in semi rural areas. The only issues I have had have been pilot error. But it usually took me a while to figure that out.

The apple android comparison is probably a good one, which is why I have had apple products. solo has me moving the other way, but I am doing that with eyes wide open.

These are aircraft and we are in beta. So I try to be careful, follow the checklist, RTFMrepeatedly, and visit this forum a lot. My main issue is the dumb grin I have on my face when I am flying.

I can not get it to work... please share if you have different results.

Works fine for me. I did have trouble with a message about the GoPro not being connected, or something to that effect. Meantime, I could see the live video feed. Well, if the live video feed is working, then its not the HDMI cable.... so logically it had to be the GoPro port. Shut everything down. Pushed the GoPro into the gimbal a little further to make sure GoPro port was fully seated, restarted everything and, presto.. everything worked.

So I'm careful about making sure the GoPro is firmly seated in the gimbal, and I generally power up the GoPro first. Seems to work fine with GoPro Hero 4 Black.

Reactions: ChrisZayas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado