Any necessary mods?

Reaction score
Like a lot of others from the Best Buy fire sale, I purchased my first 3DR (been following it intensely since it came out and now $400 is the price range I can finally jump in). I've tried to do a bit of research on the cardboard mod, buying tri-flow lubricant for motor pods, and others, but thought I would post here and try and get some insight from first-hand professionals.

Are there any mods you've done to your 3DR that you deem necessary or has vastly improved its performance? I personally feel like it should be good to go out of the box, but just want to know if there is anything I should be concerned with or fixing before flying. Thanks!

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forum. The people here are great for helping out with problems or questions. I would say your Solo should be good to go from the box. If you have had no experience with UAV's, then read the manual and take it slow. Even with experience, reading the manual is highly recommended. You want to make sure all firmware is up to date, including your GoPro. Your first flights should be in an open area with no obstacles. Then just take it slow and learn the controls and how Solo reacts to your input from the controller. You will get the hang of it real quick. It is highly recommended to set your "A" or "B" button to manual so you can take over manually if a problem does occur. Practice in an open area while in manual, as it is a lot different when you release the sticks. It will hold altitude, but will drift with any wind or forward momentum. As for mods, there are a lot you could do, but I think the ones most new Solo owners go with are antenna upgrades and gps shields. It seems the most popular antennas are the FPVLR Solo replacement antennas (which I have and am real happy with), and the Alpha antennas. Some people have had success with the cardboard mod for a gps shield, but I personally think that you should go with the gps shield from 3DR. It is a real clean install, and it did wonders for me on satellite acquisition and signal. Sorry if this is all old hat to you, but not knowing your flying experience, I decided to be long winded....;). Again, chronotrigga, welcome, and fly safe and smart.

Reactions: algojo and Maddog
Your prior flying experience is important to consider. Is this the very first time you've flown an RC aircraft? If so, I very very highly recommend acquiring a cheap "toy" drone to get the hang of things.

Appreciate the responses! I am a first time flyer, very little experience. However, I'm hoping to do some test flights at the park/baseball fields where there is a huge amount of space like you said. I don't intent to be flying this high above the trees for now now, probably 20-ish feet in the air just to make sure I can take control of manual mode. I will take a look at the GPS Shield and Antennas!

Fly it for a while first. Some people do not need any of the GPS mod's, super-duper antennas, etc. If it ain't broke, then, you know the rest.

On the other hand, some people will mod the heck out of it just cause they want to.

On the other hand, some people will mod the heck out of it just cause they want to.
I think we were supposed to be engineers. Nothing is ever good enough out of the box. That said, Maddog has a good point. Fly it around for a while and see how it works out for you. If it is working fine as it is you don't need to do anything. I don't know about others but I generally don't do a mod until I see a need for it. Both of my solos have the GPS shield (one cardboard and one has 3dr shield) and it helps with GPS. The only other mod I made was to replace the GPS in one of them with an m8n. I fly in the Rockies a lot and frequently have trees and mountain peaks blocking potential USA sats and it helps having ours and the Russian ones to use. I would not call it required though, more like an $80 piece of mind. The unmodded one has always found enough to fly but I feel better seeing a higher satellite count.

The cardboard GPS mod made a huge difference for mine. I couldn't believe it! Alternating between 0-4 satellites indoors to 5-6 satellites indoors after mod.

The cardboard GPS mod made a huge difference for mine. I couldn't believe it! Alternating between 0-4 satellites indoors to 5-6 satellites indoors after mod.
In terms of cost and time, that mod certainly gives you more bang for the buck than ANY other mod.

Just don't fly in humid/moist conditions if you're using cardboard on top of electronics. Not the wisest material to use...

Doesn't negate what I said. If you're saying it's wise to put a water absorbing material on top of very sensitive electronics, then I don't think that is very sage advice. Even if it "works for you".

Last edited:
Doesn't negate what I said. If you're saying it's wise to put a water absorbing material on top of very sensitive electronics, then I don't think that is very sage advice. Even if it "works for you".

What do you recommend to use besides cardboard?

I'm not recommending or suggesting the wisdom of anything in my post. However, the cardboard mod Solo is my oldest Solo and:
  1. I've flown only in Florida
  2. I have better luck with all my Solos (if you wish to call it luck) than perhaps 95% of the forum posters on here.
Most folks here claim to be adults and can choose to make whatever mod they desire. So far, I can keep all my Solos purring with the choices I've made for mine.

I am new to Solo, about 2 months. Nothing is necessary at all to have a great time, but I did some mods and I seem to be doing a new one every week now. :O

0) FAA # and IF FOUND CALL... stickers
1) I did the shield mod (3DR brand) which is easy (youtube videos, etc.) and you get to see the inside of the Solo which is cool!
2) Longer landing feet (Solo Extenders V2) or the new longer ones provided are good too.
3) Orange duct tape on the foam that holds the gimbal in place so I remember to take it out.

4) A Marco Polo tracker (RC Model Tracking and Recovery - Pet Tracking Made Easy | Marco Polo The Pet Tracking System)

5) Oil for the motor bearings (Tru Flow needle applicator)
6) I numbered the batteries
7) I have the Alfa antennas but have not used them yet.

Have fun! --Tom

Reactions: brushhippie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150