Any IOS recommendations?

Reaction score
If a very long time user of Android, in a moment of weakness, wanted to purchase a suitable IOS device to control their Solo, what would some of the best options be? Also, one would need a data plan as well?

I know squat about anything with an Apple on it... :(

If a very long time user of Android, in a moment of weakness, wanted to purchase a suitable IOS device to control their Solo, what would some of the best options be? Also, one would need a data plan as well?

I know squat about anything with an Apple on it... :(

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm actually looking at Craigslist posting for a cheap iOS.

Here's what I know:
  • Make sure to only get a device that is listed in the compatability list shown on 3DR's site and the iTunes Store
  • From what I understand, a cellular enabled device is required to be able to use GPS but no plan is required. Unfortunately, it is much more expensive.
  • None of the iPad generations and iPad Mini first Gen are compatible it seems. Only the Air and Pro versions of the iPad will work. Here's a spec list of each if you're interested
To conclude, it appears that an iPad Mini 2-4 and most likely the new iPad Mini 5 is the best option. They fit in the controller's tablet holder and are not too top heavy. Hope this helps.

Well, I have an iPad mini 3 which I got long before Solo. It works fine with Solo. I wouldn't get an iPhone for Solo as the screens too small. I'm not sure if you would need a data plan.

I have a Nexus 7 that I bought to run Tower. It has no data plan and Solo, Tower, maps work fine. In fact, after the last firmware update I can no longer get maps on the mini. No problems with the Nexus. Tech support could never figure out the map problem.

The iPad screen is not as bright as the Nexus, but I need a sunscreen with each of them when in the sun. (Here, the sun is always "bright"). No other option.:)

I'm using...
IPhone 6..
IPad Air...
iPad Mini 2

And never really had a problem with the FW conflicting with any of my devices...and smooth flying so far..:)
Just my experience...

Cheers

If you also want your iOS device to work well into the future with Solo, don't get something older. The ipad mini 2 is the lowest version mini that will receive the upcoming ios version 10 in the Fall. Meaning, Apple might not upgrade the Mini 2 to ios 11 when it comes out a year later just like ios 10 won't support: iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini 1
The iOS 10 Compatibility List | OSXDaily

Reactions: Tamj
i'm shopping ipad mini 2 lte on CL and seeing around 200 - 225. I think the mini 2 is a good device - I have the wifi version. The other option would be a iphone 6s plus if your close to needing a phone upgrade and don't mind lugging around a large phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44