3DR with GoPro Hero 3+ Silver

Reaction score
Just got this aircraft along with gimbal. I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. I updated ALL updates to Controller, Drone, Mobile Device and GoPro. GoPro is running ver 3.02 (up to date). When I power everything on I get video. However in the SOLO app I can only select Hero 3+ Black, I do not see an option for Hero 3+ Silver. It keeps kicking video on an off and will not allow me to record then the gopro setting in the solo to the right shows the red record butting but then it disappears. I can fly but the video keeps going in and out. Its like its not locking on. Checked all cables and were good there.

Any Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: wleung6581
I am dealing with the same thing can't get it to work properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solo doesn't work with GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. Long story, 3DR and GoPro blamed each other and it was never worked out.

Reactions: SARDG
I am using three different GoPros:

- Hero 3 Black, latest firmware. Can take video, gimbal works, have to manually start/stop video and/or photo streams on the ground before departure.
- Hero 3+ Silver, latest firmware. Same functionality as Hero 3 Black, plus turns on with the bird but won't shut off automatically. Sometimes gets into a loop where it turns off and on constantly; I resolve that by removing from gimbal and manually turning on, then inserting into gimbal.
- Hero 3+ Black, latest firmware. Full functionality, starts/stop automatically, can control camera settings and functions via iOS app.

Correction on that last one: I just rechecked the 3+ Black with the latest firmware (v3.02?). It does not power on with the Solo, but it does begin accepting a charge from it (3 and 3+ Silver do not). But once I've manually powered on the camera, it's fully controllable and configurable with the Solo App and will power off with the Solo.

BTW, I tried v2.00 with the 3+ Silver and it still does not allow iOS app control. Need a 3+ Black or better for that.

Sigh...yet another update...3+ Silver works as described, but 3+ Black v3.02, while controllable with the app, is stopping recording at around 15-20 seconds after start. And yet, the app shows that it's still recording! I tried it by starting with the app, and it stops after 15-20 seconds and app shows it's recording. I tried starting it manually by hitting the top button, and it records 15-20 seconds then stops but app does not recognize it's recording.

Reverted back to v2.00 firmware and the app recognizes that it's recording when started manually, but does not connect to the GoPro to either start/stop or allow settings changes.

Dunno what's going on, maybe it worked fine on v3.00. Anyone have access to that firmware version for the 3+ Black?

Too invested in the infrastructure of the 3 series with my motorsports stuff (mounts and battery eliminators). Sure would like to make this work.

I'm been using my Hero 3+ Silver by putting a doubled up piece of saran wrap over the big plug hole (so Solo won't control it). I turned on one button recording, so I just turn my GoPro on just before I fly. It will record only, as the Solo cannot control it.

I'm been using my Hero 3+ Silver by putting a doubled up piece of saran wrap over the big plug hole (so Solo won't control it). I turned on one button recording, so I just turn my GoPro on just before I fly. It will record only, as the Solo cannot control it.

Damn, that seran wrap doesn't get clogged in the port?

Not really, it goes in kinda hard, but I haven't had a problem yet. It was really the only way I could think of to consistently record without it constantly turning on and off

I am having the same problem and put a piece of clear packing tape inside the plug on the gimbal. drilled out a hole on the gimbal where the shutter button is. Now I can at least push the record button on the ground, fly, then turn off the record. I should have read the forum before buying a 3+ silver. Looking for a 3+ black or a 4 black. Just waisted 119 bucks on the 3+ silver on Ebay.

Cut purple wire on gimbal connection. Camera now powers up but still have to push record. Neatly cut a small hole in the gimbal to get to shutter button. Not quite the solution I wanted, but it works. Anyone want to sell me a hero4 black or silver that does not function? I think I can fix one if it has not been diddled with too much!

Has anyone considered legal action a class action law suit might be what they need.

to save you a lot of painful headaches, really consider getting a Hero 4. It's a much better camera anyways. I had the 3+ Silver and it's strictly a backup now, mostly sitting in a drawer.

I have tried 3 cameras, 3 black, 3+black, and another 3 black. The first 3 black worked ok with good video, but I couldn't control it. Had to manual start. Then I stopped getting video. I can put it on snapshot and get video, but with horrible quality. Same on all 3 cameras. I then tried the upgrade ribbon HDMI cable. No change. I sent the solo back and it was replaced, but the new one is doing same thing. It does it with and without gimbal. Can anybody please help. I love the way the solo flies, but I need video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig