3dr solo controller issue! Fly button won't turn motors!

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone please help with this issue? I am trying to get telemetry data to Flir vue pro through accessory board. I bricked the solo first time by turning the serial_2 ON without updating the pixhawk firmware. With help from posts on this page, I was able to connect the pixhawk to Mission planner via usb, unbrick the solo and installed version 1.5.1. Before I could even try the accessory board again with flir vue, the controller does not seems to be responding normally. After acquiring satellites, the controller will display press fly to start motors but fly button won't respond at all. I did try arming the motors by pressing throttle down or through tower app and it works fine then. I even tried a second controller and gives me the same issue, fly button won't start motors. So, seems to be an issue with solo?maybe? Has anyone else noticed this and what is the solution? Thanks

Hi, can anyone please help with this issue? I am trying to get telemetry data to Flir vue pro through accessory board. I bricked the solo first time by turning the serial_2 ON without updating the pixhawk firmware. With help from posts on this page, I was able to connect the pixhawk to Mission planner via usb, unbrick the solo and installed version 1.5.1. Before I could even try the accessory board again with flir vue, the controller does not seems to be responding normally. After acquiring satellites, the controller will display press fly to start motors but fly button won't respond at all. I did try arming the motors by pressing throttle down or through tower app and it works fine then. I even tried a second controller and gives me the same issue, fly button won't start motors. So, seems to be an issue with solo?maybe? Has anyone else noticed this and what is the solution? Thanks
If you can connect to mission planner and see what errors you are receiving..

Ok I am connected to Mission planner. Where do I need to look for errors or messages to figure out why the fly button is not working normally?

Can you post a .bin file to onedrive or something. I'm curious about a lot of things. You got firmware 1.5.1 from mission planner?

Ok I am connected to Mission planner. Where do I need to look for errors or messages to figure out why the fly button is not working normally?
Try to arm the solo "remove props" and make sure you are connected in Mission Planner, hold down the fly button when the solo is ready click on the messages tab on the main screen right below the hud to the right and observe the error messages if any.

You can always try a controller calibration just do a search on the proper procedure for the solo

I have a Solo that will not not start the motors with the fly botton but will arm and start the motors though Mission Planner. There are no messages in MP, there is one oddity, the battery shows -1 on the Solo App and MP.

I found replacing two of motor pods fixed the problem, and also moving one of odd motor pods to my working Solo caused the same problem there. I have not found what is causing this. If I had a warranted Solo I might get an answer from 3dr, but I don't have one warranted.

Reactions: svirk
Try to arm the solo "remove props" and make sure you are connected in Mission Planner, hold down the fly button when the solo is ready click on the messages tab on the main screen right below the hud to the right and observe the error messages if any.

You can always try a controller calibration just do a search on the proper procedure for the solo

I tried arming without the props this morning but it doesn't show any messages when I press the fly button. Tried calibration but nothing worked.

Can you post a .bin file to onedrive or something. I'm curious about a lot of things. You got firmware 1.5.1 from mission planner?

Here is the link to the logs and bin files i downloaded this morning.

Logs

So I flew the solo by using sticks on the controller (fly still don't work) and it starts spinning in circles when it took it from ground. Can you please look at the logs and tell me whats going on?

I did downloaded the new software 1.5.3 from ardupilot and installed it this morning.

Here is the link to the logs and bin files i downloaded this morning.

Logs

So I flew the solo by using sticks on the controller (fly still don't work) and it starts spinning in circles when it took it from ground. Can you please look at the logs and tell me whats going on?

I did downloaded the new software 1.5.3 from ardupilot and installed it this morning.
So the motors will come on if you are in Fly:Manual?

Can you just put a .bin log on dropbox from the last flight. I tried to make sense of what you put in logs and can't. I looked at Recent 6.bin, but that is 1.3.1 and the copter was never in the air.

I looked at Recent 1.bin. looks like 1.5.3. But it is not logging some stuff. Compass offsets are high, IMU mismatch. Your RC OUT is crazy. Desired roll, pitch is nothing like actual. Its going to take some one smarter than me to figure this out. Try recalibrating the IMU and compass for starters. Motors 1 and 2 are running extremely fast and 3 and 4 much slower which is causing the Yaw problem and instability. You have most likely done something wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJAG73
I looked at Recent 1.bin. looks like 1.5.3. But it is not logging some stuff. Compass offsets are high, IMU mismatch. Your RC OUT is crazy. Desired roll, pitch is nothing like actual. Its going to take some one smarter than me to figure this out. Try recalibrating the IMU and compass for starters. Motors 1 and 2 are running extremely fast and 3 and 4 much slower which is causing the Yaw problem and instability. You have most likely done something wrong somewhere.
This is the OP "svirk" he cannot get his motors to arm using the fly button he never complained of a yaw issue?

This is the OP "svirk" he cannot get his motors to arm using the fly button he never complained of a yaw issue?
Post #9. If 1 and 2 are carrying the load and 3 and 4 are only for balance this would explain the Yaw problem. there is easily a 300 + PWM difference going to the two sets of motors. If not 400

The Yaw and Desired Yaw match up well but he does not appear to be commanding it with the controller if it is rc in 4 like I think it is. Sounds like a calibration problem to me.

Yeah I see what you are referring to in auto analysis IMU problem compass problem no satellites at all hdop high as heck and failed motor balance. Seems the correct parameters are not loaded on the SOLO...

I would reinstall 1.5.3 and start over, If you have solex you could try OpenSolo? Something is way outta whack...Hello Paddles?? Matt you there??

If you log from start up the GPS always fails I think. Motor balance may be caused by the constant Yaw. Look at the RC out on ch 1 -4. Never seen anything like that before. IMU and Compass are extremely suspicious.

Yeah I see what you are referring to in auto analysis IMU problem compass problem no satellites at all hdop high as heck and failed motor balance. Seems the correct parameters are not loaded on the SOLO...

I would reinstall 1.5.3 and start over, If you have solex you could try OpenSolo? Something is way outta whack...Hello Paddles?? Matt you there??
Thanks for looking at this. 1.bin was the last flight. I did do the calibration on compass and level after firmware upgrade but no luck. How do I calibrate the IMU? After last flight, solo won't even connect to tablet but it shows connected to controller.

To be exact, this whole mess started with me changing the Serial2_protocol to 1 and uploading to solo through tower app. Then the solo won't connect to controller and I read the thread here about firmware issue. So I installed 1.5.1 first and then 1.5.3 but nothing seems to be working fine after that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44