X8+ Cold Weather Performance

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the X9+ running in cold or freezing temperatures. Are there any issues or precautions to take?

Thanks,
Ron in Montreal

I've made only about 5 flights with mine as I just got it recently, sometime within the last 30 days. Most (perhaps all) were made in temps. around -8 to -2 C. The only precautions I've taken is to dress warm, try to quite before my fingers stop working, and watch out for high winds above the tree tops. :)

I've not noticed anything unusual other than the gimbal dampeners behave different in colder temps. I generally get 15 minutes of flight time.

I've made only about 5 flights with mine as I just got it recently, sometime within the last 30 days. Most (perhaps all) were made in temps. around -8 to -2 C. The only precautions I've taken is to dress warm, try to quite before my fingers stop working, and watch out for high winds above the tree tops. :)

I've not noticed anything unusual other than the gimbal dampeners behave different in colder temps. I generally get 15 minutes of flight time.

I plan to fly mine next week-end. So far, I have kept only to ground runs to check-out the X8+, the APV Planner data link, my GoPro3 mounted on the 2D gimbal and the Liveview kit. The temperature should hover around the freezing point for the next week or so around Montreal.

I have flown my X8+ outdoors in -5C and slightly gusty winds today for approximately 10 minutes. What a charm! I lifted off in Standard mode and switched to Loiter mode to see how the bird would behave against wind gusts. One word... WOW! The performance of the drone was rock solid and no unusual behavior was noted in the cold.
This first flight focused on basic longitudinal, lateral, vertical and yaw maneuvering. In all axes, gust reaction was flawless. The only instability was in the vertical (throttle) axis, but I think that was because of the thottle trim setting which tended to put the drone into a climb with the throttle in neutral. I'll be checking that on the next flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela