When will the hammer come down

Reaction score
Have had Solo now for awhile, still watiting for gimbal and have no real major issues but I'm rapidly getting more concerned that the State's and the Fed are quickly going to be passing restrictive legislation. It seems every day someone does something stupid. Next thing something major is going to happen.

Guessing we are going to see some type of registration number on all drones, much more severe limitations on where and when you can use them, perhaps internal software limitations, stiff monetary penalties....who knows.

All too bad.....

Have had Solo now for awhile, still watiting for gimbal and have no real major issues but I'm rapidly getting more concerned that the State's and the Fed are quickly going to be passing restrictive legislation. It seems every day someone does something stupid. Next thing something major is going to happen.

Guessing we are going to see some type of registration number on all drones, much more severe limitations on where and when you can use them, perhaps internal software limitations, stiff monetary penalties....who knows.

All too bad.....
Yes...I think we all can agree that it dosint look to good right now! but all we can do is do are part and Fly safe and by the rules that stand as of right now and follow the new rules that will be coming in the very near future..!!
So if everybody does there part ..
Fly Smart
Fly Safe
And Just mabe...we will be able to enjoy this beautiful hobby a little bit longer.

Fly 3DR

Yea it's really sad that stupid people may ruin things for all the great folks I've met being a part of this hobby. There are literally some of the nicest, most intelligent folks I've met involved in this hobby and it would be a tragedy to see all this great work and all these great times grounded for good.

I've mentioned it already but latley I've still been conciously taking extra time if I see folks that seem interested, to try and educate and show them first hand what it is we do and why we do it. Many have all these ideas of us zooming in on their lives or silently stalking anything we want. By showing them my display and explaining that these aren't quiet and these cameras at least don't zoom in, even the skeptics warm up and are interested and impressed after a short 5 or 10 minute discussion. I'd urge everyone in the hobby to give it a shot, yes it's easier to just go fly, get your footage and move on, but it's well worth the extra few minutes to help change public perception of the evil "drones" that they keep being told to hate or fear on TV.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby, a bit over a year in aerial so please don't take it like I'm preaching, far from it but if we do nothing the op is right things will only get worse for us. I'd love to be able to be one of the experienced guys here one day teaching folks new to the hobby the tips and tricks that are being passed to me every day I get on this site. This hobbies full of great people and is a great way to keep younger folks busy and out of trouble or off the streets. It would be awful if all this was taken away from us because the stupid decisions of people that aren't even in the hobby most likley and simply bought a multi to use as their latest way to be a moron.

Everybody have a great holiday fly safe there will probably be a lot of people out all weekend so let's be smart and attempt to change their minds about the "drone" while we still have the opportunity to do so.

Thanks
AD

Reactions: Burkeam and Del
I wouldn't mind so much putting an N number on my birds as long as they don't put heavy restrictions on where I fly.
At least when someone does something stupid and they have that drone with a N number they can go right to that person's front door and hold them responsible instead of putting blame out to all the other folks that have drones and fly responsibly.

Yea it's really sad that stupid people may ruin things for all the great folks I've met being a part of this hobby. There are literally some of the nicest, most intelligent folks I've met involved in this hobby and it would be a tragedy to see all this great work and all these great times grounded for good.

I've mentioned it already but latley I've still been conciously taking extra time if I see folks that seem interested, to try and educate and show them first hand what it is we do and why we do it. Many have all these ideas of us zooming in on their lives or silently stalking anything we want. By showing them my display and explaining that these aren't quiet and these cameras at least don't zoom in, even the skeptics warm up and are interested and impressed after a short 5 or 10 minute discussion. I'd urge everyone in the hobby to give it a shot, yes it's easier to just go fly, get your footage and move on, but it's well worth the extra few minutes to help change public perception of the evil "drones" that they keep being told to hate or fear on TV.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby, a bit over a year in aerial so please don't take it like I'm preaching, far from it but if we do nothing the op is right things will only get worse for us. I'd love to be able to be one of the experienced guys here one day teaching folks new to the hobby the tips and tricks that are being passed to me every day I get on this site. This hobbies full of great people and is a great way to keep younger folks busy and out of trouble or off the streets. It would be awful if all this was taken away from us because the stupid decisions of people that aren't even in the hobby most likley and simply bought a multi to use as their latest way to be a moron.

Everybody have a great holiday fly safe there will probably be a lot of people out all weekend so let's be smart and attempt to change their minds about the "drone" while we still have the opportunity to do so.

Thanks
AD
Thanks Bro.

There should be restrictions on where we fly. inexperienced people with poor equipment should not be allowed to fly over crowds of people

I hate big government but as a scuba diver, I like that there are laws managing the sport.
Have no problem taking a certification to fly a drone. Paying insurance to protect those I might hurt or damage property.
I am hoping that is the direction it goes. I will say to DJI and 3DR you need to lead the discussion and take some of their profits to get into the courts. If they don't its their customer base that will get regulated out of existence

I wouldn't mind so much putting an N number on my birds as long as they don't put heavy restrictions on where I fly.
At least when someone does something stupid and they have that drone with a N number they can go right to that person's front door and hold them responsible instead of putting blame out to all the other folks that have drones and fly responsibly.

Be carfull what you ask for ... Along with an N number comes a designation of "aircraft" which requires an airworthy certificate, annual inspections and pilot licensing.

While I strongly agree their needs to be some form of regulation here, I do not think a private pilot license is appropriate for operating a small, limited unmanned aircraft.

Expanding on this thought, the idiot who chooses to fly up to someone's front door will most likely be unaware of any rules or registration requirement.

Anyone smell smoke?

I don't see people self policing, sadly, too many people buying these are children literally that have no idea the damage they can do. No sense of responsibility for what they are doing. It will be regulated, has to be, how remains the question.

Reactions: Burkeam
I don't see people self policing, sadly, too many people buying these are children literally that have no idea the damage they can do. No sense of responsibility for what they are doing. It will be regulated, has to be, how remains the question.
Future regulations are concerning but not necessarily bad. For the most part people have to take gun, boat and driving safety classes before participating in the activity. This is non-exsistant with our drone/uav current industry. We all should continue to educate ourselves and share the experiences/education with others. I always take the opportunity to invite someone to come over to take a look. Safety and responsibilities are a big part of my conversations about these exciting drones. 400,000 consumer drones being sole in 2015, that is scary. We all need take a role in education now regardless of regulation or lack there of.

Future regulations are concerning but not necessarily bad. For the most part people have to take gun, boat and driving safety classes before participating in the activity. This is non-exsistant with our drone/uav current industry. We all should continue to educate ourselves and share the experiences/education with others. I always take the opportunity to invite someone to come over to take a look. Safety and responsibilities are a big part of my conversations about these exciting drones. 400,000 consumer drones being sole in 2015, that is scary. We all need take a role in education now regardless of regulation or lack there of.
Wow...I didint realize so many were sold so far just in 2015..that sounds crazy.!! That's a lot of Drones in the air....But what's even more crazy ..is the thought of how many of that 400.000 are flying with out the education !!! Yep..that's Scary!

not if but when, and the nuckleheads who think these are an xbox toy are helping it along

Exactly. The drone/uav segment will develop into a complex airspace not for the faint hearted. The foolish hobbyist will be on a "No Fly" list quickly. Think about the growth that Amazom wants to bring into our common airspace.
Drone Drop-Offs at Your Door Won't Happen until the FAA Delivers

It will become a big boy toys in the common airspace. I see the situation growing and require all aircraft to receive and report. If you can do both you will be pushed aside when commercial traffic is present.

Another thought. How will the media outlet play the headlines when a knucklehead takes down a Amazon drone let alone hijacks it.
off subject, I can see that scene playing out in a future movie.

Conspiracy theories. Fly drone in mostly unpopulated stands of televised popular US sporting event. Panic, easy to frighten, safe and complacent American citizens. Ambitious politician makes drone restriction part of platform. FAA/Government finds new cash cowl alone with Insurance companies. Insurance company big wigs laugh and grin in dark office whilst lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Just a theory. ;-)

As a private pilot I can say the FAA can ruin your day, while I have never had any run ins with them there are plenty of horror stories. I would prefer automatic gps restrictions into class c or b airspace so the uneducated drone purchaser cand stand in the landing path at ohare and shoot his drone 500' in the air. Or some required classes either online or similar to classes for concieled carry. Just my .02

As a private pilot I can say the FAA can ruin your day, while I have never had any run ins with them there are plenty of horror stories. I would prefer automatic gps restrictions into class c or b airspace so the uneducated drone purchaser cand stand in the landing path at ohare and shoot his drone 500' in the air. Or some required classes either online or similar to classes for concieled carry. Just my .02
I'm with you!

This may be an unintended consequence of making drones that are so easy to fly. Hard to fly drones don't sell well- easy to fly do.
Now, everybody & his brother has a Phantom or Solo because you need no training/ experience to "fly" one.

Unfortunately, these people don't know what to do when the automation fails- so they lose control and crash. They also know nothing about the national airspace system so they fly too close to airports, etc.

If the manufacturers don't hire a lobbyist to prevent restrictive legislation, their easy-to-fly product will be legislated out of existence.

This may be an unintended consequence of making drones that are so easy to fly. Hard to fly drones don't sell well- easy to fly do.
Now, everybody & his brother has a Phantom or Solo because you need no training/ experience to "fly" one.

Unfortunately, these people don't know what to do when the automation fails- so they lose control and crash. They also know nothing about the national airspace system so they fly too close to airports, etc.

If the manufacturers don't hire a lobbyist to prevent restrictive legislation, their easy-to-fly product will be legislated out of existence.
I'm pretty skilled and mine get away from me. At least I understand my limits and the airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado