What is the difference in motor pods?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm curious what is the difference in the CCW to CW motor pods?
Is it just a matter of wiring to the motor? In other words, can I use any motor pod on any arm if I was to swap two of the motor leads as needed to rotate in the correct direction?

Seems simple enough.

Don.

The theaded shaft are different I believe also.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

CCW to CW motor pods have the wires order positions differents
Hope it help

Attachments

• kde-mod.jpg
    kde-mod.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 26
Yes, 2 wires are reversed to make the motor spin in the opposite direction. It's also correct the threads for the props are reversed as well, so you'd need to do more than just change wires around to make a CW work as a CCW and vise versa.

Spektreworks sells motor pods for $40. They're new - just don't come in a pretty box. I think I'd get some extras rather than mess with it just to change direction (unless you're going to install new motors or something as well). Those heavy leads on the motors aren't fun to solder, and there is very little clearance between the solder pads and other components. It's very easy to bridge and if they're too close due to too much solder you can get arcing when a lot of current is running through.
3DR Solo Parts

I totally forgot about the threads.

Thanks everyone.

Don.

As a side note, the pod's plastic frame is keyed to fit a specific arm pair. I presume it's to make it difficult to install the wrong pod into the wrong arm.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I was thinking that but did not feel like digging mine out
Think I am going to snag a couple more at that 40 buck price and order some more Ts

You may be bummed when someone releases an ESC and motor frame adapter for Solo....

Just for the sake of making a statement. I can't recall anyone actually having an ESC fail, possibly a hand full at most around the interweb and typically the results of a crash. But it seems the Solo version has been fairly robust and should be very capable of being rebuilt...

Is it rumored someone is working on that?
Well if it hasn't, then we just did....someone will read half the post and declare it is so.

I'm not working on one, just so you know, but it would be a great option to lessen the proprietary dependencies.

Damn! I can't wait for the new ESC's!

Philip said something a bit ago that any regular esc will work (forgot the exact details), but it just won't have the LEDs.

Off topic but...
there's no ways to turn off the leds ?
I've seen references to the LEDS in "./usr/bin/loadPixhawk.py

Attachments

• leds.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M