Turkey Day Crash - Help Needed Reviewing Log

Reaction score
I was going to do a quick mapping mission and was in a bit of a crunch for time (lesson learned, do not put yourself in this situation and postpone your flight until you have time). I pulled together a mapping mission in Solex and was going to do a quick 10 minute mission. I had sent the mission to the solo and it was up in the air and as soon as I told it to start the mission I looked back up and it was tumbling to the ground. I am curious as to what may have caused it to do this. I believe I have the last log from the flight attached (tlog.1 from the controller). The solo still boots up when I put a battery in it but I can't seem to get the log from it but will keep trying. Could someone with a bit more experience take a look at the log if they have time? Bonus aftermath picture of the solo also attached. Cracked the frame in half, gimbal appears to be shot (grinding noises when I try turning it on), along with a cracked go pro hero 4. Trying to determine if any of this is salvageable. Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• solo_crash.png
    solo_crash.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • solo.tlog.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • solo_telemetry_log.zip
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The solo.tlog.zip was named solo.tlog.1 but I don't think that is the correct log. I also uploaded the telemetry log (solo_telemetry_log) and this one appears to be the correct one based upon what I see in Mission Planner.

I am not finding much in Mission Planner. The only thing that seemed to catch my eye was the servo2 reading right before it appears the crash happened. Would this indicate one of the motor pods lost power? If anyone else has thoughts on what may have caused the crash it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1543202242237.png

Are the dataflash logs from the pixhawk still a no-go on collecting? I'm not sure the tlog shows us much more than the communication/control information between the Controller and the Solo. From what I understand, the more nitty-gritty internal monitoring data is only in the dataflash log, which I think might be more helpful here.

Are the dataflash logs from the pixhawk still a no-go on collecting? I'm not sure the tlog shows us much more than the communication/control information between the Controller and the Solo. From what I understand, the more nitty-gritty internal monitoring data is only in the dataflash log, which I think might be more helpful here.

The solo will still power on when I put a battery in it but it doesn't want to connect to the controller. I am searching for a way to download them directly off the pixhawk controller through usb if that is an option? I will do some more digging...

The solo will still power on when I put a battery in it but it doesn't want to connect to the controller. I am searching for a way to download them directly off the pixhawk controller through usb if that is an option? I will do some more digging...
Yeah, you can do it that way. That's how I got mine off when my one work Solo took a dive.

Yeah, you can do it that way. That's how I got mine off when my one work Solo took a dive.
I managed to pull the datalogs off of the pixahawk. Hoping someone with more experience can chime in on this. Below is the auto analysis from Mission Planner. I have also attached the datalogs.

Code:
No of lines 39809
Duration 0:01:25
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version solo-1.3.1
Firmware Hash 7e9206cc
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0
Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (83.45%)
Max mag field length (658.19) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = GOOD -
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.59, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Motor Balance = GOOD - Motor channel averages = [1278, 1245, 1294, 1266]
Average motor output = 1270
Difference between min and max motor averages = 49
Test: NaNs = GOOD -
Test: OpticalFlow = FAIL - FAIL: no optical flow data

Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = FAIL - 5 slow loop lines found, max 10.60% on line 35743
Test: Pitch/Roll = FAIL - Pitch (67.18, line 39464) > maximum lean angle (26.49)
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = WARN - VCC min/max diff 0.838v, should be <0.3v

Attachments

• 2018-11-22 15-50-21.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Any dataflash log experts able to take a quick look at this? Than you.

I'm not sure how/why I missed this. I apologize.

Are you a member of the ArduPilot forum? Perhaps posting in here with any and all details you can might help get more eyes on for you.
Log Analysis & Tuning
Thanks! I am not but will sign up and post there. Trying to figure this out so I can try to avoid a repeat from happening on Solo #2.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Thanks! I am not but will sign up and post there. Trying to figure this out so I can try to avoid a repeat from happening on Solo #2.
I know the feeling. I had lost one of my two work Solos this past season, I'm pretty sure via the known ESC signaling issue. I had a number of people here, on the ArduPilot forum, and on the various Solo/ArduPilot FB groups take a look.

I'll look again for you, but my inspection is rudimentary at best. Hopefully someone better gets eyes-on soon.

1546268223179.png
I was guided to map RCIN vs RCOUT to look for failures on the motor pods. I looked at the other channels prior, but removed them since they looked consistent between IN/OUT. Channel 3 was the only one that looked off. On a QuadX like the Solo, that should be your front left pod. How does that feel/sound when cogged by hand compared to the others?
1546268306228.png

Does this look right? Sent straight up, began to transition forward, and then tumbled?
1546268422697.png

A question: What were the propellers like? Were all of them attached? Were the pieces spread out? I almost want to say that prop might have failed (spun off, cracked?)

I was guided to map RCIN vs RCOUT to look for failures on the motor pods. I looked at the other channels prior, but removed them since they looked consistent between IN/OUT. Channel 3 was the only one that looked off. On a QuadX like the Solo, that should be your front left pod. How does that feel/sound when cogged by hand compared to the others?

Does this look right? Sent straight up, began to transition forward, and then tumbled?

A question: What were the propellers like? Were all of them attached? Were the pieces spread out? I almost want to say that prop might have failed (spun off, cracked?)

Thank you so much for looking into this! The KMZ and your description matches with what happened. Parts were scattered everywhere as the solo fell onto the top of the metal building and then proceeded to bounce to the ground. There might have been one prop still attached if that but I can't quite remember, broken gimbal, gopro and solo. I should have took pictures of the scene but was a little upset at the time :)

I just spun all of the motor pods and they all feel pretty similar. You can feel a slight catch as you turn the motor pod (14 bumps per revolution). Motor pod 04 seems like it has the most resistance of all of them but not hard to spin by any means. I am wondering if there is anyway I can bench test the motor pods. Very frustrating if I had a motor pod failure with less than 25 flights on a new solo.

Edit: I saw you ran into a similar solo crash as well. It was a windy day for me and thinking back I probably should not have flown. Winds were in the mid 20's with reported gusts in the mid 30's. I had solex setup for a mission with a travel speed of 15mph.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc