Trying To Be Responsible? Here is What We Are Up Against..

Reaction score
Thought I would share what I experienced yesterday with another 'pilot'. I was browsing YT looking at videos when I came across the one posted below. I know YT is full of this kind of stuff, but what makes this different in my mind is this guy is a celebrity of sorts in the Birmingham, AL area. And as such he has a following. In his video, he is promoting cheap aftermarket antennas he has put on his new Phantom 4. And in his video he flies from the edge of Birmingham right into downtown and very likely Class B airspace of Birmingham Intl. Airport, and well over 400' AGL (I know because I checked the height of some of the downtown buildings.)

So as someone with an audience, I politely asked him "Well beyond visual line of sight and over 400' AGL. Why would you encourage such reckless behavior?" And his exact quote back to me....
"That one's easy. --Because it's FUN!!Thanks for watching!"

And of course his video is followed by the usual posts of "Wow! Awesome job! I'm going to order a set today!"

So very sad, and frustrating. But that is what we are up against and the difficult job the FAA has in trying to rein this sh*t in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

AND in this video, he is flying inside a packed room, with low ceilings, 1-2' above people's heads!! What a ****!

I think most of us on here are a little more responsible than this. Am I right?

@Jubalr , did you notice he's deleting comments about his flight? I've posted three since last night. All are gone. Several others have made comment about VLOS, commercial use, etc. I've seen two others deleted in the evening.

Reactions: Doug Benson
@Jubalr , did you notice he's deleting comments about his flight? I've posted three since last night. All are gone. Several others have made comment about VLOS, commercial use, etc. I've seen two others deleted in the evening.
Well that's interesting. I think he is dangerous also because of his following minions and encourages this kind of thing.
He may be getting a call...;)

I shared this with the OP of the video over Birmingham; he deleted my post.
This came from a customer of mine that received a call. I garbled the phone number to protect the Inspector who gave me permission to post it.

{edit} Just noticed he's deleted my other two posts to him, but left the one with this FAA phone call. He's now deleted the video of flying in church; I wish I'd grabbed it prior to it being deleted, as it's a perfect example of irresponsibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
As most of my posts this is mostly relevant to commercial operations.

I'm in a couple of business networking groups and I spend a lot of my time doing public education and that responsible drone pilots know and obey the law.

1. You need a license from the government saying that you can transport stuff over public roads - is the 333.
2. After you have this license you need a CDL to drive the car - pilot license and what the follow-on is.
3. You then need to have a license plate on the truck - N-number.

People seem to get this.

Another thing I've done is to put a link on my web site to the FAA's approved 333's page encouraging people to look up if their commercial drone pilot is on the list.

Reactions: Doug Benson
I politely asked him "Well beyond visual line of sight and over 400' AGL. Why would you encourage such reckless behavior?" And his exact quote back to me....
"That one's easy. --Because it's FUN!!Thanks for watching!"

This jingle-ass is going to get people hurt or killed! It's an uphill battle trying to get the public to understand the good that UAV's can do and this pinhead just steepened the grade!

Reactions: Dave Folts
That guy really doesn't care for safety at all. He mocks about not keeping it in VLOS at the end of the video.

On another note, I couldn't help but wonder how exactly the Phantoms have longer range. Isn't it still wifi just like the Solo? If that's the case, why does the Phantom, stock, go much much further even beyond the range of typical wifi signals?

I saw pictures of her after the drone struck her her face. Very lucky for her the fuselage hit her and not the props. I too agree, major pilot error... Probably not error in flying so much as an error in judgement.
In my flight training (sport airplanes), Aeronautical Decision Making is an integral part of flying. The decisions you make may mean the difference between life and death. We need to keep in mind the dangers we could pose with our quads, and think straight and not to do bone-headed stunts.

I used to work with models more than I do now, product and portfolio work. Occasionally I'd put one in a pose or location that was difficult, but looked great. Sometimes one of them would complain about being difficult to hold the pose. I'd look at them with a blank look on my face and tell them "you say that like it's my problem."

Usually I'd get a stunned look, then a smile. Occasionally the model would get pissed, then I called it a wrap and contacted another model to finish the shoot.

I never thought to whack any of them in the head with a drone...

This jingle-ass is going to get people hurt or killed! It's an uphill battle trying to get the public to understand the good that UAV's can do and this pinhead just steepened the grade!
Amen! And why does it seem to be these DJI jockey's that are the major culprits?

Amen! And why does it seem to be these DJI jockey's that are the major culprits?
Because they make up like 80+% of the consumer quad market? If 80% of people drove Fords, there would be a lot more accidents involving Fords lol. They totally dominate the market as far as sheer raw numbers, so of course they will have proportionally higher numbers across all metrics, including the idiot metric.

Just the day that the p4 came out, they had more new registered users on the P4 facebook groups than the solo has in total when already having been out an entire year.

If there were 100,000 Solos out there, I'm sure you would see a lot more Solo "idiots" on the news. Fact is, we're a microscopic body compared to DJI, although I have seen some idiot news stories involving Solo pilots as well, such as this one that probably cost tens of thousands to the taxpayers in damage having to shut the station down, and employ many cops and firefighters to remove it. Drone stuck in power lines at Metrolink station in Orange

Reactions: Dave Folts
Because they make up like 80+% of the consumer quad market? If 80% of people drove Fords, there would be a lot more accidents involving Fords lol. They totally dominate the market as far as sheer raw numbers, so of course they will have proportionally higher numbers across all metrics, including the idiot metric.

Just the day that the p4 came out, they had more new registered users on the P4 facebook groups than the solo has in total when already having been out an entire year.

If there were 100,000 Solos out there, I'm sure you would see a lot more Solo "idiots" on the news. Fact is, we're a microscopic body compared to DJI, although I have seen some idiot news stories involving Solo pilots as well, such as this one that probably cost tens of thousands to the taxpayers in damage having to shut the station down, and employ many cops and firefighters to remove it. Drone stuck in power lines at Metrolink station in Orange
I had no idea the numbers were that significant for DJI products. But then again, I didn't go looking for market share stats either.
thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig