The Media is Making People Crazy!

S

s7nthson

I pondered the thought of sharing this information for a month or more. Because the pendulum swings both ways! ! A woman in Oakland, California pointed a rifle at my 3DR Solo and tracked it and then pointed the rifle from a docked boat, at me an the couple I was speaking to at the time.

First of all I'm not afraid of guns, I own one. I was so disappointed and disgusted that she felt she had some special right to do that. I felt so badly for the couple that I was talking too. They were so excited and amazed by my Multi-Copter, that the man wanted to take pictures with the copter.

I landed my Solo, I went to the Police Station and reported her! The Police asked me, what did I want the outcome to be for this matter. I said I'm not trying to send anyone to jail, but I want her to know she is breaking the law, that she can't go around pointing guns at people. The Policemen had lots of questions about my 3DR Solo and of course I answered them all.

I almost decide not to fly anymore, it just took a couple of day for me to let that go. I really blame the media for sensationalizing these stories.

I pondered the thought of sharing this information for a month or more. Because the pendulum swings both ways! ! A woman in Oakland, California pointed a rifle at my 3DR Solo and tracked it and then pointed the rifle from a docked boat, at me an the couple I was speaking to at the time.

First of all I'm not afraid of guns, I own one. I was so disappointed and disgusted that she felt she had some special right to do that. I felt so badly for the couple that I was talking too. They were so excited and amazed by my Multi-Copter, that the man wanted to take pictures with the copter.

I landed my Solo, I went to the Police Station and reported her! The Police asked me, what did I want the outcome to be for this matter. I said I'm not trying to send anyone to jail, but I want her to know she is breaking the law, that she can't go around pointing guns at people. The Policemen had lots of questions about my 3DR Solo and of course I answered them all.

I almost decide not to fly anymore, it just took a couple of day for me to let that go. I really blame the media for sensationalizing these stories.
Wow that's crazy sorry that happen to you.

It's unfortunate, but the media has been stoking the flames of ignorance, stupidity and aggression for years. That a person would actually point a gun at someone for flying an RC vehicle is insane. You should definitely press charges, the next person she targets might not be as lucky as you.

I had my first ominous interaction last night. I was at a local fairgrounds just after dusk testing the duration on my 250 quad, just set up an orbit, fully on the fairgrounds property and was timing it. Someone from a boardering house came to the edge of the fairgrounds and started pointing and shaking an extremely bright flashlight directly at me. I said "Hi", I said "Hello" numerous times, but they just stood there waving a flashlight around and then pointing it directly at me. It was dark, and all I know is some stranger, who won't respond to friendly greetings is blinding me with a flashlight.

Why someone would initiate contact with a stranger in such an uneasy manner is beyond me. All I could see is a blinding light, I have no idea if he's also pointing a gun at me, if he were to start approaching, I have no idea if he's carrying a baseball bat or something.

I hate to say it, but it seems just a matter of time before someone gets shot and killed simply for flying an RC toy, because the media has created this insane tension over these things.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
It's unfortunate, but the media has been stoking the flames of ignorance, stupidity and aggression for years. That a person would actually point a gun at someone for flying an RC vehicle is insane. You should definitely press charges, the next person she targets might not be as lucky as you.

I had my first ominous interaction last night. I was at a local fairgrounds just after dusk testing the duration on my 250 quad, just set up an orbit, fully on the fairgrounds property and was timing it. Someone from a boardering house came to the edge of the fairgrounds and started pointing and shaking an extremely bright flashlight directly at me. I said "Hi", I said "Hello" numerous times, but they just stood there waving a flashlight around and then pointing it directly at me. It was dark, and all I know is some stranger, who won't respond to friendly greetings is blinding me with a flashlight.

Why someone would initiate contact with a stranger in such an uneasy manner is beyond me. All I could see is a blinding light, I have no idea if he's also pointing a gun at me, if he were to start approaching, I have no idea if he's carrying a baseball bat or something.

I hate to say it, but it seems just a matter of time before someone gets shot and killed simply for flying an RC toy, because the media has created this insane tension over these things.
It's only a matter of time before someone gets shot and killed for flying a quad or somebody gets seriously injured or killed because of a reckless pilot flying like a dumb shit, its going to be a sad day for all quad pilots.

Reactions: Engine24blue
Wow this is the second time I've seen someone here say this and while I've had good luck and everybody has been fine with mine, actually excited and curious, it's crazy to hear these stories. Especially since neither was during an argument over it or was somehow provoked. These folks would be lucky if I pressed charges on them in all honesty, I'm real easy going and easy to get along with, but if somebody is pointing a gun at me and isn't a police officer, for whatever reason it's more likley I'm going to react by defending myself. This day in age to run around pointing guns at people for flying or anything else is just stupid, if I point a gun at someone it's surely going to be much more than a threat and I'm not going to do it to let them know I disapprove of their drone.

There's no question that you should press charges cause obviously these folks are inbred morons and think this is ok or are drug makers and dealers protecting their right to make their narcotics in peace. Any normal citizen will come talk to you long before pulling a firearm if they have concerns. So this being the case more than likley if someone like this pulls a gun on me the police reports going to be the last thing they need worry about and that decision may be the last one they ever make.

This is totally ridiculous and isn't the medias bs little stories, those people would complain or call the cops, this is because of the drug epidemic in the country more likley than not, if not it has to be inbreeding and in either case you'd be doing the community a favor getting them off of or dropping them onto the street, your choice.

Good luck and fly safe, I can't believe the police wouldn't run with this whether you want to press charges or not.

Reactions: ASL
Do you really think she didn't know what she did was illegal? Did you want the police to wag their finger at her and say "bad person"?

Perhaps by letting her off the hook, you just emboldened her to do it to someone else.

I used to have liberal friends that advocated the "gentle glove" approach to everything bad in society- I got rid of them..

Reactions: Mitchell Gerdes
I think I would have pressed charges. In Ca, brandishing a firearm is taken seriously. For all you know, she may have been a bit mentally off, and next time she points a gun at someone, the outcome may be different.

I agree. I have decided to effect what I can. I am a member of AMA and AUVSI and outreach is a part of my personal preflight checklist.

Public Awareness
§ Be kind, courteous and polite
§ I am an ambassador and my actions will affect other pilots and the industry in general
§ Be professional / appear professional

Last edited:
Yeah... After years in the military I don't put up with guns being pointed at me. I would have had fear for my life at that point which is enough in any court of law. Drop solo controller and engage her. And I'm not sorry if that rubs anyone the wrong way.

I agree with what Earl had said though, seems it will work with the general public because most of them won't pull a firearm on you.

Last edited:
Yeah... After years in the military I don't put up with guns being pointed at me. I would have had fear for my life at that point which is enough in any court of law. Drop solo controller and engage her. And I'm not sorry if that rubs anyone the wrong way.

I agree with what Earl had said though, seems it will work with the general public because most of them won't pull a firearm on you.
I have to say I agree with you, I personally always have a rifle with me and would have pointed mine at her and see if she wanted to engage or walk away..
In all my years of RC I never thought it would ever come to this where I would have to carry a firearm just to go fly.
But again you have to look at the ignorant ass's that have caused this issue for the ones that follow the rules.

Reactions: Maddog
I always have a crossbow strapped to my back... and some ninja throwing stars tucked up my sleeve.

Yea I too try to go out of my way to be as nice and approachable as possible and answer any questions I can. I've had great luck with this, but I can't say things would go well if a firearm is pulled on me for something so ridiculous either. If I feel my life's in danger I'm going to make sure my kids still have a father afterwards and if that means defending myself so be it. Someone this ignorant is likley not going to be missed and most likley the world will be a little bit better place without someone that's willing to point a loaded weapon at me over an rc aircraft being flown. If possible I may try to take a non lethal shot, but that's about the most compassion I could have for this person. My families life comes first plain and simple and without me they'd have a tough time to say the least, I sincerely hope it never comes to this though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig