Taking apart a Solo - A RANT

Reaction score
So, I began to take the Solo apart. I watched a very complete video by 3dr called Replacing the Shell of a Solo on Friday and determined I didn't have all I needed. So yesterday, a perfectly great day for flying, I don't the day gathering tools, and looking for a mysterious glue called Super X, which is required according to the video.

It's not sold in North America according to my research. You need to buy it on eBay or Amazon from Japan, Korea, China and a small tube is about $25.00 plus $28 in shipping. The shipping for something under 3 ounces takes a month.

OK, so I decide to push on, and take it apart. I have 3 of the right screwdriver, a number 1 star. There are approximately 23 screws involved. I find that the 4th one I try has so much LocTite in it I practically break the screw off, but it happens.

Screw 23..... Now there is the problem. Not only is it surrounded by high plastic, but it must have a gallon of LocTite. I'm not kidding. I spent almost 30 minutes trying to get it off, and no deal. The screw is almost stripped completely. 2 of my 3 screwdrivers are toast.

Basically a complete failure.

Now ask your self. If they needed you to have exactly 3 drops of this glue, why not buy it in belt and include it in the kit? Has anyone else found a different glue that will work, or perhaps a store on this North American Continent that will sell it and ship it for a reasonable price and in a reasonable time.

3DR- want instant profitability? Use less friggin LocTite.

So now, I'm stuck. Two frames, one damaged and mostly apart, the second brand new.

Can anyone help? The only alternative is to ship it to the official repair place, pay $100 for something that even 3DR say is easy to do - their demo had no LocTite BTW.

Meanwhile, my Mom s rushed to Emergency for a Stroke, and I can't get access to her. She is apparently OK, but tired and the nursing home would rather her not have visitors today/tonight.

Great Friggin Day. Thanks for reading. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Which loctite? blue/red/green? Some loosen with heat, you could try a hairdryer. Or if you have a soldering iron you could touch the head to heat only the screw (probably better). Another option if you have a dremel is to cut a new slot on the screw head so you can use a flat blade screw driver. I'd heat it before trying to turn it more.

Reactions: cameraguy
When I replaced my shell, I just ran the wires back through the leg, left them connected to motherboard, and then re-threaded back into the new shell. At that time this was the reference video I used.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure why they would instruct people to hack it apart that way. In my case, it was difficult to get the adhesive "re-closed" on the leg to house the GPS wire. In my mind preferable to the issue you are facing.

I'd be shocked if there was not another material that you could get at Lowes electrical dept that would not work. Sorry you have to deal. Realize a frustrating thing like this makes personal crisis harder on you.

Hang in.

1) I've run into the same issue with the Loctite- too damn much.
2) when replacing screws use only blue Loctite-it allows disassembly if you don't use too damn much.
3) Never use red Loctite- must heat it to 500 deg F to disassemble.
4) If you need a substitute for Super X, @PdxSteve turned me on to this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-II-2-8-oz-Clear-Window-and-Door-Caulk

Hope your mom is okay- my mom had one too (many years ago).

Reactions: cameraguy
I used a hair dryer, but there are lots of circuit boards near the screw and I was afraid of reflowing the solder

I'll try the soldering iron. After that a flame thrower

It's just been a rough day

Thanks

looking for a mysterious glue called Super X, which is required according to the video.

It's not sold in North America according to my research. You need to buy it on eBay or Amazon from Japan, Korea, China and a small tube is about $25.00 plus $28 in shipping. The shipping for something under 3 ounces takes a month.

I got it from here on eBay, shipping was free and it took only about a week to Australia.

Black :
Cemedine Super X8008 Adhesive AX123 AX139 AX121 135ml from JAPAN Free Shipping

Clear
Cemedine Super X8008 Adhesive AX123 AX139 AX121 135ml from JAPAN Free Shipping

(they also have white)

from memory Black and White have better bonding properties than the Clear one.

i use the groom lake video as a reference and i've not not used loctite or anything else when putting it back together. i have taken my solo apart about 3 times so far.

Well, I finally finished. It took a Dremel tool, some tin snips to get everything taken out of the old Solo.

I did not cut the antennas, so,didn't require the glue. It's easier to keep it as a solid block of circuitry.

Found the soldering on the accessory cable to be broken, 6 or so connections. Many of the others were rusted. That's right RUSTED. I realize they make this on the coast but perhaps they could take the circuit boards out of the rain.

The 3DR video on Vimeo is useless. He forgets several steps, like removing the GPS and reinstalling that. Same with some of the legs that have sensors in them. So, do yourselves a favour and forget that video unless you want to do more work than required, buy more things than you require and more.

I charged my batteries, and went for a flight. One battery that appeared charged was flat. Now I can't seem to charge it. But my other battery was fine.

Did a great flight. Tried the orbit feature, worked amazingly well, did another of the programmed flights, but didn't do it well.

So, all works well, and with the weather looking great for the next week, I'm going to be up there as much as I can.

Thanks for everyone's assistance

Reactions: Rex Barlow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso