Swelling Battery

Reaction score
I have an original 3DR Solo battery that I let sit too long without use and now I notice that it has began to slightly swell. I know that's not a good sign with Li-Po batteries. I haven't tried to use it, but wondering if there's anyone out there who refurbs these batteries or should I just drop it off at my local hobby shop for them to properly dispose of. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is just my non-expert opinion, but in my experience it is USE that makes Solo batteries swell, not non-use. They quickly drain themselves to 50% full, then are able to stay that way for years. But each time that I use and then recharge a Solo battery, it swells a little more, until they all got quite bulgy before undergoing their inevitable death spiral. The bulge is most noticeable on the bottom, but it's even visible on the top. I'd recommend not worrying about it; it's inevitable.

Disclaimer: This forum has many experts who know way more about such things than me, so if they say the above is full of beans, please believe them. It's simply been my experience over many years and many batteries.

Reactions: RichWest
Same qualifications and experience as Joe, batteries die from usage and/or abuse.

For the most part battery revival is a DIY endeavor, cost is the biggest factor for why DIY. Plenty of threads here discussing battery options with and without salvaged components from the stock battery. Choose what works best for you.

Always properly dispose a swollen battery. They’re useless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo