Strange Object

Reaction score
Website
www.jasonyapp.com
I caught a strange object flying extremely fast passed my drone last week as I was flying it over a field. I have been trying to figure out what it could’ve been, but I am completely confused. Bare in mind, I'm not some UFO freak. I literally don't know what this was.
  1. I’m certain it’s not a bug, because it’s moving way too fast. I wasn’t going that fast with my drone, so the bug itself couldn’t have been going that fast.

2. Secondly, I don’t think it could have been a small meteorite, because it appears to be coming from another field far away at either an upward trajectory or straight across.

3. Third, I’m pretty sure it’s not a bullet either because I didn’t hear a gunshot. And, it comes from so far away that they couldn’t have seen the drone. And, this was a minute after I had already had the drone in the air which would suggest somebody was just coincidentally walking around in a field with a gun?? But, in the video you can’t see any figure of a person from where it comes from, and there is no flash or anything either which would indicate a gunshot.
Your thoughts??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bug. Believe it or not. It happens all the time. The thing that throws everyone is perspective. Something tiny that is up close can look like it is going extremely fast. For years people have tried to figure this out, as they show up slightly differently on differentl kinds of cameras.

Rod (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bug. Believe it or not. It happens all the time. The thing that throws everyone is perspective. Something tiny that is up close can look like it is going extremely fast. For years people have tried to figure this out, as they show up slightly differently on differentl kinds of cameras.

Rod (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I understand that, but in my raw video that's 2.7k - it appears to be coming from the other field like 2 miles away though. So, in a matter of less than a second it travels from what appears to be quite far away from the other field and passes my drone. I'm a logical person, I thought immediately it had to be a bug - but when I kept watching the video and the distance in which it appears it's coming from and how fast it's travelling, I kind of ruled it out.

I understand that, but in my raw video that's 2.7k - it appears to be coming from the other field like 2 miles away though. So, in a matter of less than a second it travels from what appears to be quite far away from the other field and passes my drone. I'm a logical person, I thought immediately it had to be a bug - but when I kept watching the video and the distance in which it appears it's coming from and how fast it's travelling, I kind of ruled it out.
That is the perspective thing I was talking about. Something small, that is relatively close, going a foot, looks like a mile. Think of it this way. The lens is about a half inch across. It can see a mile or so wide. Something going laterally that half inch (or going 6 inches if it is 6 inches away) looks like it is going a mile in a fraction of a second..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
That is the perspective thing I was talking about. Something small, that is relatively close, going a foot, looks like a mile. Think of it this way. The lens is about a half inch across. It can see a mile or so wide. Something going laterally that half inch (or going 6 inches if it is 6 inches away) looks like it is going a mile in a fraction of a second..
Yeah, I suppose you're right. Kind of embarrasing, but I thought it was extremely odd. I couldn't quite buy into it being a bug, but what you've explained makes more sense now.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Kind of embarrasing, but I thought it was extremely odd. I couldn't quite buy into it being a bug, but what you've explained makes more sense now.
Hey... NOTHING... to be embarassed about. You are actually lucky :) I wish it were me having caught that...

People worked on that for decades. It wasn't until a lot of different cameras started seeing the same things a little differently that people started clueing in that it was the cameras, and then lately (like in the last 10 years) they started actually doing experiments

Hey... NOTHING... to be embarassed about. You are actually lucky :) I wish it were me having caught that...

People worked on that for decades. It wasn't until a lot of different cameras started seeing the same things a little differently that people started clueing in that it was the cameras, and then lately (like in the last 10 years) they started actually doing experiments
Gotcha, it definitely is interesting. What threw me off was the speed, and the distance in which it appears it's coming from. I was shooting in 2.7k Medium - so the lens wasn't in Wide which would have probably made it look even faster and further away. But, it's still interesting - because how far away do you think the bug was away from the camera? In the video, it looks like it's several yards away - which would make you think it's larger than a bug. But, like you said, the perception of everything and taking into consideration the lens, etc - makes it deceiving.

It looks to me like a reflection off something on the ground in the distance. As you are moving, parallax will mean the angle where the reflection comes back up to hit your cameras is brief.

That's my guess. I'd also subscribe to Earldgrayjr's hypothesis as well, but he beat me to it so I'm putting forward another plausible option.

Lovely video BTW :)

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
You're flying into the sun and it looks like a lens flare to me. It's hard to see the distance it traveled in this video. You took a 2.7K video, rendered it down and then went through the youtube processing. What editing software do you have? If you have adobe after effects you can export still images frame by frame at a high resolution. Or go frame by frame and analyze what it is. But it looks like a lens flare to me. They travel across the screen fast in random directions.

It could also be a reflection from the ground. One of the many parked cars could have had a door open or been backing out to cause a reflection to hit your lens.

You were obviously being shot at.
lol, I thought it was a possibility but as I said, I didn't hear a gunshot. And, this was right when I took off, so that would suggest somebody was oddly walking around corn fields with a gun. Plus, they couldn't have seen it.

I think it was a bug, due to the lens. I had it on Medium, rather than Wide, but still I think that makes things appear further away and would also make it look like it's travelling 5x faster.

You're flying into the sun and it looks like a lens flare to me. It's hard to see the distance it traveled in this video. You took a 2.7K video, rendered it down and then went through the youtube processing. What editing software do you have? If you have adobe after effects you can export still images frame by frame at a high resolution. Or go frame by frame and analyze what it is. But it looks like a lens flare to me. They travel across the screen fast in random directions.

It could also be a reflection from the ground. One of the many parked cars could have had a door open or been backing out to cause a reflection to hit your lens.
I hear ya, but I'm pretty sure it's not a lens flare or reflection. The quality of the video is compressed, you can see it better in my raw video, needless to say. Best guess is that it's a bug. Due to the lens of the camera, it captures a lot - so it makes things look much farther away then they actually are, and makes things look like they're going 5x faster than usual as they're passing. So, a bug is my best guess, Earl kind of convinced me of it.

I want to believe it was a UFO. A tiny alien drone used for information gathering and atmosphere sampling.

But I'm afraid it was a bug from fairly close proximity. Google flying rods - like EGJr says, it is a well researched phenomenon. Looks very cool though.

I want to believe it was a UFO. A tiny alien drone used for information gathering and atmosphere sampling.

But I'm afraid it was a bug from fairly close proximity. Google flying rods - like EGJr says, it is a well researched phenomenon. Looks very cool though.
Hahaha, I know, right? Yeah, the most logical explanation is a bug. But, it certainly is very deceiving isn't it? In my uncompressed, RAW video - it sure does look like it's coming from the other field to the right, moving at lightning speed. I'm certainly more convinced it's a bug, but I gotta tell ya - it's still pretty strange and deceiving.

Hahaha, I know, right? Yeah, the most logical explanation is a bug. But, it certainly is very deceiving isn't it? In my uncompressed, RAW video - it sure does look like it's coming from the other field to the right, moving at lightning speed. I'm certainly more convinced it's a bug, but I gotta tell ya - it's still pretty strange and deceiving.
I agree. There was a show I saw a year or so ago on a cable channel. The videos they had were really bizarre. Very rod like structures like pipes whizzing past the cameras. Some looked like they had wings, or two pairs of wings. But when slowed way down, they were flying insects. Really strange.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc