Sports Pilot "Category" Requirement for 333 Exemption

Reaction score
My question is related to the the category of "Sports Pilot" required by the FAA in order to be a PIC. Does it have to be "airplane" or can it be any of the other sports pilot categories listed below?

Thanks!!! Alex

For example, Here at the categories and number of training hours required for each. For the purposes of 333 exemption PIC, wouldn't it make more sense (financially) to get the lighter-than-air license? Is it still applicable? I don't need to fly an airplane, just my solo (eventually commercially).

Airplane:
- 20 hours

Powered Parachute:
-12 hours

Weight-Shift-Control (Trikes):
- 20 hours

Glider:
- 10 hours

Rotorcraft (gyroplane only):
- 20 hours

Lighter-Than-Air, Airship:
- 20 hours

Lighter-Than-Air, Balloon:
- 7 hours

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Yes, the cheapest and fastest method is to become a hot air balloon pilot. FYI - they are going to drop the pilot requirement so you would probably be wasting your money.

Reactions: alex covo
Yes, the cheapest and fastest method is to become a hot air balloon pilot. FYI - they are going to drop the pilot requirement so you would probably be wasting your money.

Wow Really? So will not be required for 333 exemption? That would be awesome. Any idea when this may happen or what will replace it?

That's what they're saying. I believe they want to have new regulations in place by next June but who knows.

Reactions: alex covo
Having a balloon license would be pretty damn awesome in and of itself!

per my friends at UAVSA, "part 107" which will be a UAV license will be out 2nd quarter 2016.
These guys are doing my 333 paperwork. Stand-up guys, and btw they are putting on the 2nd IDE (International Drone Expo) in LA in December. See you there!

Looked at the FAA debocal. You are required to listed

20 hrs of flight time
3 land and takeoff a month
Class 3 medical.
Maintenance records ( logs)
A ground observer other than yourself.
Private pilots license $7k
Here is the kicker if you crash you have to report to NTSB.

Seriously the FAA has absolutly, gone crazy on this if you want to make some money on the side.

But if you are just having for fun. None of that crap matters you just have to register it. A little over the top to keep you from making a buck with your drone.

Looked at the FAA debocal. You are required to listed

20 hrs of flight time
3 land and takeoff a month
Class 3 medical.
Maintenance records ( logs)
A ground observer other than yourself.
Private pilots license $7k
Here is the kicker if you crash you have to report to NTSB.

Seriously the FAA has absolutly, gone crazy on this if you want to make some money on the side.

But if you are just having for fun. None of that crap matters you just have to register it. A little over the top to keep you from making a buck with your drone.
Similar regs here in Australia, I don't see the problem to be honest, it's their airspace.

neX:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc