Solo on Sale - time to buy a spare

Talked to them on the phone - They are dropping the DJI and Solo - consumer drone products

Not sure why so cheap - maybe dumping the Solo line. Time to buy a spare Solo for $700 NIB.

3DR Solo Quadcopter
Great prices kinda scary actually, guess nobody will be having luck selling a used one any time soon, unless they want to take a big hit.

Sorry if you answered in the earlier thread, but did you ever recieve your Mapir inferred and are you pretty happy with it?

Any pics or video by chance yet?

Talked to them on the phone - They are dropping the DJI and Solo - consumer drone products
Can't blame them after supporting DJI like they have over the last few years and then getting crapped on when the Inspire and P3 hit the market. They were the consumer drone source here in my area, I bought my first from them in store. I presume they will be focusing on the commercial application drones which have greater market potential and at better margins in the long run - i.e. sales and then service contracts. They are good people overall.

Reactions: Burkeam
Great prices kinda scary actually, guess nobody will be having luck selling a used one any time soon, unless they want to take a big hit.

Sorry if you answered in the earlier thread, but did you ever recieve your Mapir inferred and are you pretty happy with it?

Any pics or video by chance yet?

Yes, still working with Pix4D to get the results. The Mapir does work for the price. The only complaint is 1 picture every 3 seconds where as a modified gopro4 NIR can do 1 picture ever .5 seconds.
Here a small image of the red spectrum. It defiantly works and can recommend for med to smaller project. If your trying to process 100s of acres a day I think I would upgrade to a modified gopro or a camera with geo-tagging. I'm still learning/investigating. Hopefully will know more as I'm going to the UAV show in Vegas next week.

Attachments

• 400 nir_rgba_red.jpg
    400 nir_rgba_red.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: cyu
Can't blame them after supporting DJI like they have over the last few years and then getting crapped on when the Inspire and P3 hit the market. They were the consumer drone source here in my area, I bought my first from them in store. I presume they will be focusing on the commercial application drones which have greater market potential and at better margins in the long run - i.e. sales and then service contracts. They are good people overall.
They said it's not worth making $10 on a consumer drone with all the phone support that has to go along with it. They are focusing on the pro stuff

They said it's not worth making $10 on a consumer drone with all the phone support that has to go along with it. They are focusing on the pro stuff
Not worth 10 dollars but they can't be taking a 290 dollar loss on these solos so it's gota be more like 300 dollars I'd guess. I mean that's great for them if they can do well without either line, but I'm guessing that's a big chunk of business to get rid of.

Maybe other areas it's different but here and I'm sure in Clyde where you are, even these consumer copters are fairly few and far between. I can't imagine there's a huge market for pro high dollar rigs in a lot of places, especially with all the competition both professional and small time builders right now. Also I'd bet as these consumer platforms get better and if eventually they carry dslr cams well, the pro rigs will either have to drop in price a good bit to compete or take hits in sales. Even now I'm seeing pretty impressive results from these little birds and cameras. They'd know better than me though and I'm sure there's a lot to deal with from these large companies as well I'm not realizing.

Oh well though great deal for us now and hopefully it all works out for them, I'm sure they are doing enough to do well or they wouldn't have made the move. Thanks for the Mapir info I'll have to look into modifying a GoPro as well.

Not worth 10 dollars but they can't be taking a 290 dollar loss on these solos so it's gota be more like 300 dollars I'd guess. I mean that's great for them if they can do well without either line, but I'm guessing that's a big chunk of business to get rid of.

Maybe other areas it's different but here and I'm sure in Clyde where you are, even these consumer copters are fairly few and far between. I can't imagine there's a huge market for pro high dollar rigs in a lot of places, especially with all the competition both professional and small time builders right now. Also I'd bet as these consumer platforms get better and if eventually they carry dslr cams well, the pro rigs will either have to drop in price a good bit to compete or take hits in sales. Even now I'm seeing pretty impressive results from these little birds and cameras. They'd know better than me though and I'm sure there's a lot to deal with from these large companies as well I'm not realizing.

Oh well though great deal for us now and hopefully it all works out for them, I'm sure they are doing enough to do well or they wouldn't have made the move. Thanks for the Mapir info I'll have to look into modifying a GoPro as well.
Yea, I'm approaching pro results with a fraction of investment. I have no prob spending for pro/highend stuff I just need to prove the ROI before doing so. I'd buy 10 $50k uavs today if I could make $200k on each a year. lol

In the meantime the Solo provides me a solid platform to build from. I consider it a prosumer class uav. And it's still growing. I was 1/2 tempted to buy 5 more today but again the ROI won't be there until spring/summer 2016. By then I might be using another platform along with my Solo.
Nevertheless I see my Solo as the daily flyer for some time to come. I made a quick change harness to swap my quad camera mount to/from the gimbal in less the five minutes. We are off topic so maybe we should start a SOLO for NDIV imaging thread?

Excellent price. If i didn't have one I would buy one of these right now. Price works out very well even compared to using the 10% off coupon at BB AND getting the free battery.

Yea, I'm approaching pro results with a fraction of investment. I have no prob spending for pro/highend stuff I just need to prove the ROI before doing so. I'd buy 10 $50k uavs today if I could make $200k on each a year. lol

In the meantime the Solo provides me a solid platform to build from. I consider it a prosumer class uav. And it's still growing. I was 1/2 tempted to buy 5 more today but again the ROI won't be there until spring/summer 2016. By then I might be using another platform along with my Solo.
Nevertheless I see my Solo as the daily flyer for some time to come. I made a quick change harness to swap my quad camera mount to/from the gimbal in less the five minutes. We are off topic so maybe we should start a SOLO for NDIV imaging thread?
Totally agree with all you've said and we are heading in another direction here, so I'll message ya later or start another thread at some point.

Thanks again

AD

Being one of 7 authorized service centers back when allowed them to make money on both sides of the sale. That relationship was a true asset to DJI's success in my opinion. With the consumer drones heading to BB, B&H and possibly WM in the future, the service side now becomes the burden of the manufacture or more often the individual consumer. And at the prices DJI has driven the market to, it's making better sense to buy new in many cases related to that brand

Sorry, off topic....

If you are worried about this being legit for warranty purposes, you would ask 3dr if this company is an authorized dealer.

That would make sense IF DJI products where on sale as well... However only solo and related accessories are on sale. Either DJI is pressuring them to drop solo or they have decided they had enough of 3DR's delays because they are losing ~$150 on each solo sold.

A smoking hot deal. You have to call them to purchase it now. They disable the link a little while ago. Jake at UAV Direct was very helpful.
After many hours of flying inexpensive "trainers" to improve my flying skills I finally upgraded to a Solo today.

UPDATE:

I'm so thankful for this forum. Because of the people here I now have....

View media item 123

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado