Solo handles the wind like nobody's business

Reaction score
Before the Best Buy sales, I would have never attempted to fly in this type of conditions, but with a few spares, I figured what the heck. I flew my Solo yesterday on a hilltop with gusty winds probably in the neighborhood of 25 to 30mph. It was overcast and ugly so the video was worthless, and the gusts at times were too much for even the gimbal to fully negate, but the Solo itself handled it impressively. A little scary when it would pitch or bank wildly to counter the gusts, and holding a position it had to sometimes bank 25 degrees or more, but it held.

If anyone flies in wind like that, the only thing to keep an eye on is altitude when flying into the wind. Returning to the hill top, I noticed several times it'd start to loose altitude. This was likely when it would be hit with a sustained wind and need to pitch over more in an attempt to maintain speed. I just needed to slow the forward speed for a few seconds to allow it to regain some altitude. I can't imagine anyone flying in winds equal to Solo's top forward speed, in which case it would only be able to hold position against the wind without loosing altitude. But outside that, you just need to be a little conservative with the battery to ensure you have enough juice for a longer return time.

As I was flying, I was thinking although the Mavic's portability is surly nice, it would be sitting on a shelf in conditions Solo can still hold it's own.

User Name
I live on a small Island with consistent wind Padre Island tx.
On the best of days,15 mph, average about 18 to 24.
I i get GREAT video of the surfers, beach, fishing piers.
Why, cause there isn't too much gust!
The wind in consistent, the gust gradually increase, then decrease.
Battery life is a probelm, but i fixed it with X6 batteries with two charges doing there thing from the Jeep.
Here are some old links of mine. the editing sucks!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice, yea, the video wasn't bad at times, when the wind was steady, but the gusts were just too much. Still, if some cropping was acceptable, it would probably be fine with some stabilization in post. And I'm not dumping on the Mavic when I say it wouldn't likely handle such wind, just more a case of choosing your preferred compromise.

And I hear 'ya on the batteries. An additional benefit of buying spare Solos... you get a charger with each! I have 3 chargers and 8 batteries. What would have been an entire day of charging is now just a few hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks