Solo Cannon S100/110 mount

Reaction score
rsz_1img_0001.jpg I had a modified G-R-NIR Cannon S100 and a stock S110 that I wanted to use with solo for mapping and NDVI instead of the gopro. After some serious design we came up with this to ensure the lightest possible mount. The camera is held in place with velcro and the total system weight is approximitely +/- 280g with camera. I made my first NDVI map with Solo today and it worked awesome.

Let me know your thoughts or if you want the same mount let me know and we can arrange it.
rsz_1img_0005.jpg
rsz_img_0003.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out how to connect the pixhawk to the camera USB to trigger it rather than using the intervolometer. Either way it works just like the gopro does right now for mapping using the intervol meter.

If you want one pm me

Pixhawk connection will be very interesting as at the moment I also use CHDK.
New to the forum and cannot find the PM button but will.
Thanks Justin.

3dr advertised with the solo we can connect other cameras with USB cables to trigger then they just don't say how. Hopefully some on here can help figure that out.

FYI the mount takes 2 to 3 business days for the factory to make depending on how busy they are.

Well, cannot find the pm button.
Would love to buy a s100 mount but I am in the UK, is this a problem Justin?

BTW the new version of 3dr Tower works so well with the Solo, cannot wait to get mapping.

Well, cannot find the pm button.
Would love to buy a s100 mount but I am in the UK, is this a problem Justin?

BTW the new version of 3dr Tower works so well with the Solo, cannot wait to get mapping.
It is the little envelope in the upper right hand corner :)

Ill ship wherever just the shipping may cost as much as the part. If you want one its 160 USD plus shipping from Canada.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, and I know how to use survey with Tower, but is there an automatic way to stich the map together from the photos? I assume there is an application for that. What to do guys use?

Reactions: Justin
I don't mean to hijack the thread, and I know how to use survey with Tower, but is there an automatic way to stich the map together from the photos? I assume there is an application for that. What to do guys use?
I got a demo of AGI photoscan which is really good or Microsoft ICE works well

I would also like to use a usb trigger. It seems that 3dr is keeping the accessory bay connector a secret so if you want to make a USB trigger you're going to have to solder it. Pins 1, 3... and... which one for the third? 14, 18 or 19 I think.
10466986_10207324878783011_7371053735987368065_o (1).jpg
If anyone is more brave than me, please take lots of pictures when they do it.

What do you suppose is the reason for the secrecy?

Reactions: pedram55
Hey guys, you are indeed correct, we are trying to get triggering through the USB port. We're trying to see if we can do this with a simple software tweak vs soldering a new port on the camera as that would incur large additional costs. Once we get a triggering solution we will also hopefully be making SOLO accessory port plugs/cables to trigger. Soldering the main board PWM to the accessory port back is not too difficult. We will also be selling SOLO packages that are turn-key RTF for mapping. Lots of stuff planned.

How long do you estimate until you have the USB trigger assembly ready to sell?

@Nolan
I just checked out your website and your youtube videos on Gopro 5.4 mm gopro lense. My main concern with any modified gopro as opposed to a filter modified cannon s100 for mapping is that the images are shot in jpeg which unlike the raw shooting Straight jpeg shooting is known for heavily stretched and distorted NDVIs since jpegs dont preserve the radiometric linearity.

With that being said, I am looking for a 5.4mm gopro lens with ND2 filter on it. Can you advise which would be the best to go with so I can still capture 12 mp photos and eliminate any jello effects from the lens.

No date yet on support for USB triggering, though it will likely be in future models not the current one.

Yes, for the JPGs we are working on calibration cards and software in post to correct for it. It's not as ideal as a RAW image, but there are no RAW sensors 1/2" or smaller yet that we're aware of.

You mention you're looking at getting a 5.4mm lens and ND2, but then ask advice on what to go with. I'm confused, what are you looking to do exactly? Where will it be mounted?

Thanks for your response. I wrote that comment quickly so my apologies for the confusion. I am looking for a gopro lens that can zoom in closer than the stock lens while still preserving image quality for pictures and videos. I am looking to do this on a gopro hero 4 black.

I'm guessing you're mounting on the SOLO with a gimbal. We recommend the 4.35mm or 5.4mm, both perform well at 4k video and 10MP photos (12MP photos may be slightly soft compared to the stock GoPro lens). We find the 8.4MP frame from the 4k video to be much easier to capture than trying to take individual photos.

Do you have any better camera on solo for mapping .i am looking for a camera with higher res instead of mapir .
thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks